Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2012 Rear DVD system

37K views 74 replies 36 participants last post by  Junkmail44 
#1 ·
Just traded my 06 in for a 2012 touring and having issue with dvd. In my 06 when you turned the car off and turned back on the DVD would start back in the same place. On my 12 it restarts the movie from the start (previews and everything) every time we turn the car back on. This is very frustrating for me and the kids. Is there anyway to change this feature or am I just out of luck?:frown:

#5 ·
I just tested this using our DVD for the movie tangled. Fast forwarded 2 minutes into it. Took the key out. Waited a minute put key back in and it resumed where I left off.

Jharrel you don't have a white diamond pearl TE do you?

I wanted to get some side by side pix with our taffeta white. We live in north Clearwater so real close.

#6 ·
No we got the silver with truffle interior, almost bought a white touring instead, really liked the white, but the interior on the silver really did it for us ;).

Now I just got to figure out why the DVD won't resume although not something you should really have "figure out".

#7 ·
I took mine back in after a week and told them I wanted fixed. They said it was a defected DVD player and have ordered a new one. I know another one sold last week had the same problem. I have the 2012 touring and they game me and 2012 EX to drive while it is being fixed and it works perfect. They are installing a new one tomorrow..hope it works. Do you both have touring to touring elites?

#14 ·
is it as simple as just asking them to order one? also how long did it take for them to install the dvd player?
i am asking since the dealer isnt exactly close to me and Honda doesnt have loaner cars.

i just picked up a 12 touring and i took my key out and the started it up again and the dvd played from the begining.

#15 ·
another thought is i am not sure i want these honda techs ripping up my car for this as it seems like a big job. how was your replacement in terms of quality of work?

i want to know if you had scratches and more importantly and creaks or noises after? or did it look brand new as if they never even touched it

#19 ·
For what it's worth, we had to replace our cd changer because it was making a clunking noise even if it wasn't loaded. I think the changer and DVD is one unit, but not sure. Anyways, they had to take appart some of the console. They put it back together just fine no scratches or vibration / noise.

#22 ·
I just bought a new model 2012 Elite Touring and having the same issue with the DVD restarting every time the engine is turned off. I contacted the Honda dealer and they told me that this was a "new design," to prevent the battery from being drained. Needless to say, I think this is total BS.

Anyone else here got the dealer to fix the problem? Your feedbacks are much appreciated because this will give me a reason to force the dealer to fix the issue. The DVD restarting every time practically make the entertainment system useless.

Thanks,

#24 ·
Vanvirgin,

Thinking of doing the same thing myself, maybe picking up a refurb iPod classic and just dumping a bunch of movies on it or maybe getting another player that won't require me to convert 100's of gb of movies to MP4… I also find this DVD player is much more sensitive to scratched disks, 2007 odyssey played most everything, finger prints and apple sauce and all.. Anyone else seeing the same thing? Thanks,

#25 ·
It's not just a 2012 issue. I have a 2011 Touring with a DVD player that restarts. The manu date was mid-Aug, so maybe by then they were using the same DVD players going in 2012s. Again, is anyone getting much pushback from dealers? I'm going to call my dealer, but fully expect them to say this is the way it's suppose to be, which is a real pain-in-the-you-know-what if you have small children watching a movie on a long road trip. Agh!

#27 ·
Hokie, thanks for the reply! Wonder if they switched suppliers? It is frustrating, I would even say its almost a safety of flight issue. I know that when the kids are hollering to put the movie back where it was and I'm in traffic after a rest stop, gas, etc its not good for anyone. Hopefully Honda will put something out about this.

#28 ·
I called my dealer this AM and asked my salesman to find out if the DVD player is suppose to resume or not. He just called me back and said to hit PAUSE before turning the vehicle off. Sure enough, that works, BUT this doesn't seem like an effective answer. Really, are we suppose to remember to hit the pause button before turning it off? Have any of the rest of you had any luck convincing the dealer to replace the DVD player? This a major inconvienence. Fortunately, we don't use the DVD player often, but the entire reason we bought the van was to make our life easier with small children. I could have saved quite a bit of money by not buying a van with RES if it doesn't work any better than this!

#29 ·
Actually, I just called American Honda. I was told by the representative that this is a problem among new Odysseys, and until there is a software update or some other solution, this is something we have to live with. There is nothing they can do. I asked if enough people complained, if that would that expedite some sort of resolution (I'm hoping for a recall for the DVD player), and she said yes, it would. So PLEASE, call American Honda at 1-800-999-1009 and complain!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.