Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ody I've done 3 or 4 drain and fills on the Tranny since I've owned it with Valvoline Max Life ATF (for transparency).

No leaks that I saw and I filled it using the ATF fill plug on the top and always putting back what I took out and measured within the range on the dip stick (though even that it's hard to read sometimes).

I've noticed that when I'm slowing down from 60km/ or 40km/h and letting off the gas pedal, it seems to have trouble downshifting. Feels like i'm using an Engine brake. Is this a damaged transmission issue like a torque converter or does this sound like a software update could address this?

·
Registered
47 Posts
My Hondas do that. It feels like a slight engine brake before downshifting. My Toyota does not do that. I think it's in their design and I wouldn't worry about that. My CRV has 400K and it does that since new.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Hondas do that. It feels like a slight engine brake before downshifting. My Toyota does not do that. I think it's in their design and I wouldn't worry about that. My CRV has 400K and it does that since new.
Yeah? it feels kinda harsh. Someone mentioned a software update might fix it?

·
Administrator
14,148 Posts
My 2007 does that too. Not only from 3rd to 2nd but from 2nd to 1st too. If we have to slam on the brake, it will do a downshift hard. It has done that since day one and I have all the transmission s/w updates etc. We now have 116K on it so I am sure its fine. Perhaps the weaker engine mounts may add on to the shake. But we did get the front one replaced once right at the 7 year mark under extended Honda care.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,864 Posts
Feels like i'm using an Engine brake.
Our Odyssey is pretty aggressive at downshifting when it senses you are trying to slow down. You might actually be feeling the engine brake effect after the shift, not before.

It will even downshift for you while coasting if you are on and off the brakes and the road speed stays constant (even without cruise control engaged).

-Charlie

Reactions: m4gician

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Our Odyssey is pretty aggressive at downshifting when it senses you are trying to slow down. You might actually be feeling the engine brake effect after the shift, not before.

It will even downshift for you while coasting if you are on and off the brakes and the road speed stays constant (even without cruise control engaged).

-Charlie
Okay thanks for that! At least I'm not the only one having this experience. It sucks that this is more common, but yeah, aggressive is the right word you might say.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
My Ody I've done 3 or 4 drain and fills on the Tranny since I've owned it with Valvoline Max Life ATF (for transparency).

No leaks that I saw and I filled it using the ATF fill plug on the top and always putting back what I took out and measured within the range on the dip stick (though even that it's hard to read sometimes).

I've noticed that when I'm slowing down from 60km/ or 40km/h and letting off the gas pedal, it seems to have trouble downshifting. Feels like i'm using an Engine brake. Is this a damaged transmission issue like a torque converter or does this sound like a software update could address this?
As you can tell from the responses, you are not alone.

I switched from a Gen 3 to a Gen 4 about a year ago and for the first day or two I thought there was something wrong with the Gen 4's tranny. I notice it mostly when trying to maintain a steady speed in the high 20's to low 30's. The shifting is far from smooth. Then I did a little research and found it to be a common complaint.

Apparently it's a design feature, not a bug. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Vicarious_Lee

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As you can tell from the responses, you are not alone.

I switched from a Gen 3 to a Gen 4 about a year ago and for the first day or two I thought there was something wrong with the Gen 4's tranny. I notice it mostly when trying to maintain a steady speed in the high 20's to low 30's. The shifting is far from smooth. Then I did a little research and found it to be a common complaint.

YES! That is EXACTLY it! So aptly described. The anxiety of a potential transmission problem was getting to a point where I thought about just buying a lot of fluid and just cycling through more drain and fills as well as replacing the transmission filter too and maybe calling the dealer to get a software update.

I'll just leave it as long as nothing is broken obviously.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This page (What You Should Know About Honda Transmissions | Mister Transmission) says that Honda transmission are more like automated manual.... perhaps that's why it downshifts more like a manual car with a bit of engine brake???

Quote:
As for Honda-made transmissions, they have often been a bit different from the norm when it comes to transmissions. Until 2017, Honda’s automatic transmissions did not use planetary gears as almost all other automatic transmissions do. These Honda transmissions utilized traditional, individual gears on parallel axes –like manual transmissions do– with each gear ratio engaged by a different hydraulic clutch pack. These Honda transmissions preserve engine braking by doing away with a sprag between the first and second gears, relying instead on pressure circuits to change gears.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,864 Posts
Yup. You can even hear it blipping the throttle as it downshifts. Funny thing is that is chooses the gears pretty similarly to how I would choose them if I was driving a manual (at least on decel).

-Charlie

·
Registered
20 Posts

I have done them same on my newly purchased 2013 TE (w/Valvoline Max life). On the last. Drain and fill, I also added 8 oz of Lubegard Platnium. and WOW.... it shifts like butter now... still slight feels of shifts.... but what a difference. I know others have used Lubegard Red, but I had the platinum sitting on the shelf...

·
Registered
14,662 Posts
One of the things I noticed most from having the software updated on my 2015 was better coasting. We also have an Acura RDX with the same trans that has not had it's trans software update and the de-acceleration is quite noticeable.

·
Registered
336 Posts
with Valvoline Max Life ATF (for transparency).
I've noticed that when I'm slowing down from 60km/ or 40km/h and letting off the gas pedal, it seems to have trouble downshifting.
based on my experience, I think it’s the maxlife fluid.

I got really aggressive with a lot of atf fluid changes with oem dw-1 due to light towing and thought I would try maxlife, with just 1x drain/fill. I hated it as I immediately had the exact same symptoms you describe here with jerky shifting at those low speeds. Did another drain/fill with oem fluid and it went back to nice and smooth. Could try going back to 3x oem dw-1 and see if that fixed it(I found that buttery smooth shfiting), add the lubegard or try another full synthetic. I’m currently running the amsoil superduper synthetic premium signature (forgot the name) with lubegard and the shifts are reasonable but not as good as oem fluid. (Went amsoil due to towing..)

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,543 Posts
based on my experience, I think it’s the maxlife fluid.

I got really aggressive with a lot of atf fluid changes with oem dw-1 due to light towing and thought I would try maxlife, with just 1x drain/fill. I hated it as I immediately had the exact same symptoms you describe here with jerky shifting at those low speeds. Did another drain/fill with oem fluid and it went back to nice and smooth. Could try going back to 3x oem dw-1 and see if that fixed it(I found that buttery smooth shfiting), add the lubegard or try another full synthetic. I’m currently running the amsoil superduper synthetic premium signature (forgot the name) with lubegard and the shifts are reasonable but not as good as oem fluid. (Went amsoil due to towing..)
I've had much the same experience recently as this, except for using MaxLife - I've never done that. But after a hot summer of hauling and travelling and camping and a bit of towing now that I have a hitch receiver and ATF cooler installed, I have recently switched to Amsoil Signature Series Fuel Efficient ATF (2 x D&F) and our van's shifting went from imperceptible and buttery smooth with OEM DW-1 to noticeably crisper with the Amsoil. I don't mind it myself - it feels fine to me but definitely different. Smoothness in shifting comes from slippage at a cost of increased wear and I think I'm willing to sacrifice a tiny bit of smoothness to help the transmission stay trouble free well into the future.

It's only been about a month or two since I started the switch to Amsoil and I'm happy with the performance I'm getting so far. I'll see how it does over the next few months as the weather starts to cool down. I always reserve the right to admit I am wrong and change my mind if I see that's the right thing to do.

Reactions: m4gician

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the feedback cro and AZ. You both think that the maxlife might be the issue eh? Given the drain and fills I've done the tranny is majority max life now.

I could do dw-1 or just add lubegard but given I'm taking 3.5L/4qt with each drain and fill it's going to take a few hundred dollars to make the switch haha.

You said the amsoil dw1 has some better results than dw1?

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,543 Posts
Thanks for the feedback cro and AZ. You both think that the maxlife might be the issue eh? Given the drain and fills I've done the tranny is majority max life now.

I could do dw-1 or just add lubegard but given I'm taking 3.5L/4qt with each drain and fill it's going to take a few hundred dollars to make the switch haha.

You said the amsoil dw1 has some better results than dw1?
My experience says that the smoothest shifts (up and down) happen with OEM Honda DW-1. If you want to get to a place where you can evaluate what is the smoothest it's fair to expect from your transmission, I think OEM is the way to go. I've tried Lubegard Red in the past mixed into the OEM DW-1 and didn't notice any difference in shift quality at all (though to be fair, it would be hard to improve on what our transmission was doing - it was bordering on Mercedes-like smoothness).

The Amsoil (in our van, at least) causes slightly firmer shifts. I notice the difference because I know what I've been doing and I watch out for changes because of it but it's very telling that my wife doesn't seem to have noticed any difference in the shifting at all. She is sensitive to changes in how the van drives (she quite enjoys driving it) and is very good about telling me when she feels like something isn't right. She hasn't said a word.

·
Registered
336 Posts
2nd above. I would just use oem dw-1 unless you do occasional towing.

Smoothest with oem dw-1…smoothest I’ve experienced with any automatic transmission actually.

amsoil signature noticeably firmer. Runs way cooler 150-160 deg around town. But I live in Arizona and tow occasionally and find it holds up better in my operating environment I have $160 in amsoil signature 3x drain/fill if you buy 3 1 liter bottles…

·
Registered
20 Posts
Smoothness in shifting comes from slippage at a cost of increased wear and I think I'm willing to sacrifice a tiny bit of smoothness to help the transmission stay trouble free well into the future.
Yeah I heard about this from my co worker ... now i am thinking i should gran out some of the lubeguard... i am worried i am causing excessive wear now ... :eek:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is AISIN the OEM manufacturer of the DW1 fluid? If so Rockauto has them slightly cheaper than the dealer depending on quantity you need.

·
Registered
2013 Ody Touring with 125 on it, never wrecked, escaped VCM so far...
59 Posts
Smoothness in shifting comes from slippage at a cost of increased wear and I think I'm willing to sacrifice a tiny bit of smoothness to help the transmission stay trouble free well into the future.
Good to know, and that's what I was thinking. I am NOT easy on my van as it's my commuter through Dallas, and I appreciate the way it bangs off upshifts without hesitation when I need it to.

Reactions: CroMath
1 - 20 of 23 Posts