Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hondas aren't supposed to do this. Worse, it's the SECOND major timing system failure I've had on this van.
The first happened 3 years ago when it had 81,000 miles. I happened to be in the garage when my wife cold started the van and it made a strange flopping sound. I put on the stethoscope and quickly isolated it as coming from the upper timing belt cover. Turn it off!!! Got lucky that time. The tensioner had failed and the belt was flopping around, but did NOT jump time. I was way past warranty, so I bit the bullet and bought the top shelf Aisin kit off Rock Auto (belt, idlers, water pump and hydraulic tensioner) and proceeded to DIY. Not cool, but not the end of the world either. Nothing to get all up in arms over as I'd done the job on my 2003 previously and this time was easier than that one.
Fast forward 45,000 miles to a week ago when I'm halfway across the country in rural Pennsylvania (turnpike). In the mountains. Near Nothing. Van purring smoothly, then NOTHING. No power, dash board full of lights. Coast to a stop on the shoulder and pop the hood. Smoke coming from the timing belt cover area. Open the inspection port rubber cover and smoke pours out. Tow truck time.
I was worried I F'd something up on the install, but just got the word. One of the Koyo idler pulleys I'd replaced had a bearing go bad, melt down and seize. Burned the belt, jumped time at 70mph. Engine is toast (every valve bent). Worse, it's 500 miles from home. $4,000 for a used engine installed. At least I can't be tempted to DIY it that far away...
Sometimes sheeyat happens, even when you meticulously care for things. But dead Honda engine at 127k miles? I coulda got this kind of life from a Caravan for a lot less money up front.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Wow! What a story man. Sorry this happened to you! Trust me that happened to me in the winter time when I started my van up, all I heard was clanking from the tensioner. Less than 30k on my timing set and the hydraulic tensioner went. Did the DIY myself and used torque specs. Did you torque your bolts for the pulleys? I hate Odyssey's now lol Now my 07 is having paint and rust issues that it didn't have last year. No matter how good you take care of these vans it's never good enough.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
418 Posts
God that blows. I’m starting to question whether or not Honda would have even covered it had it failed under warranty with these stories I’m reading lately.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Man, that hurts bad. :cry:

Infinitely small chance of both a tensioner and an idler failing on the same motor in such a relatively short time. Doesn't make it any better though...

Dave

·
Registered
56 Posts
I live here in rural PA 20 minutes from the TP and I wouldn't even want to break down out there. What a nightmare.

Now you've got me concerned about buying even the "dependable" aftermarket kit, as mine will be changed in the next year.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
As much as it sucks, sheet happens. And it can happen to ANY car. Any brand, any model, doesn't matter. All you can do is play the odds and hope for the best. I had a guy come in my shop the other day and refuse to consider fluid maintenance on his 100K mile car because "I've gotten 250K out of my last 2 cars and never did anything other than oil changes". Some people do everything by the book and get screwed while others ignore all reasonable recommendations and skate by. Just don't bother buying a lotto ticket as your luck at the moment isn't great.

·
Registered
113 Posts
God that blows. I’m starting to question whether or not Honda would have even covered it had it failed under warranty with these stories I’m reading lately.
Sounded like it was caused by an aftermarket part, so even if it was still under warranty Honda would probably not cover it.

·
Registered
13,499 Posts
I believe that Koyo pulley is oem. Hopefully a one off. I just hope Rock Auto is not having counterfeit issues.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I believe that Koyo pulley is oem. Hopefully a one off. I just hope Rock Auto is not having counterfeit issues.
Really? My mistake then. Because in all the Aisin's product description they always use the wording 'original equipment MATCHED'. They never claimed to be the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer).

·
Registered
979 Posts
Aisin is OEM for many parts. Interesting side bar is Toyoda owns 30% of Aisin. Gates Unitta is the OEM timing belt supplier.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2012 Touring Elite has 185,000 miles. I am a mom, travelling alone with a 15yo daughter and 2 dogs from Canada to Missouri. On August 11th, 2019, my Van makes weird sound on I-70 near Effingham Illinois. Pull over. Dead. Cannot start. It's 100F outside and 2 dogs and a "packed to the gills" van with bikes on back and Thule box on roof. We're dying of heat and the trucks are about to kill us.... Call a tow truck, he tows us 130 miles home for $700. Get it towed to my local Japanese auto place, says it's the timing belt (which was replaced at 100,000 miles at the dealer). Call the dealer. They had it towed there and they fixed it for free. I dropped it off on wednesday august 14th, they gave me a CR-V Limited as a loaner. I have yet to get it back, I still have the loaner... but i know the valves were bent and it needed a lot of work. I also pitched a fit last week and they repainted my white hood with peeling paint, for a $350 deductible. Happy ending.... Mungenast Honda in Saint Louis.

·
Registered
418 Posts
That’s good that the dealer is covering it for free as it didn’t last the rated time or distance. Sorry about your trouble, but feel fortunate that you don’t have to pay several thousand dollars to install a new engine! It’s going to take a while to rebuild it. Enjoy that rental.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
10 Participants
Ruthrj18
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing