Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought it in to our local dealer after reading and re-reading the owner's manual several times making sure I was doing everything properly. Setting position 1 always works smoothly and easily, but while position 2 button blinks when the set button is pressed and held it does not respond to being pressed at all. No beep, nothing...both 1 and 2 keep flashing until the time to press either button runs out.

Dealer said it just needed a software update that cost $30 and was going to send me on my way. Decided to try it again before driving off and same problem. They took it back in the shop for another 45 minutes and then refunded the cost of the software upgrade. At that point they said they would have to replace the memory module on the seat in order to even begin to troubleshoot the problem. As the part cost nearly $500 I told them I would wait and look into it more later.

Looked through the discussions here but couldn't find any discussing the same problem. Hope someone here either has dealt with and solved this issue or hopefully has an idea of what might actually be causing this. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. This place has already saved me a great deal of money fixing little issues myself since we purchased the vehicle about a month ago.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Brought it in to our local dealer after reading and re-reading the owner's manual several times making sure I was doing everything properly. Setting position 1 always works smoothly and easily, but while position 2 button blinks when the set button is pressed and held it does not respond to being pressed at all. No beep, nothing...both 1 and 2 keep flashing until the time to press either button runs out.

Dealer said it just needed a software update that cost $30 and was going to send me on my way. Decided to try it again before driving off and same problem. They took it back in the shop for another 45 minutes and then refunded the cost of the software upgrade. At that point they said they would have to replace the memory module on the seat in order to even begin to troubleshoot the problem. As the part cost nearly $500 I told them I would wait and look into it more later.

Looked through the discussions here but couldn't find any discussing the same problem. Hope someone here either has dealt with and solved this issue or hopefully has an idea of what might actually be causing this. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. This place has already saved me a great deal of money fixing little issues myself since we purchased the vehicle about a month ago.
are you performing your tests with the second key?
there is a reason there are numbers on the back of both keys...

have the same vehicle and when key 2 opens the door position 2 automatically sets up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you performing your tests with the second key?
there is a reason there are numbers on the back of both keys...

have the same vehicle and when key 2 opens the door position 2 automatically sets up.
Thanks for your input but I'm afraid this does not solve my particular problem.

Yes, have tried it after opening with Driver 2 key. In fact, we bought the vehicle with only a regular fobless key and bought both the Driver 1 and Driver 2 fob keys from the dealer and had them cut and programmed there.

Still the same result, the button for position 2 will not respond to being pressed.

As mentioned earlier the dealer tested it and could not get it to work either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To further clarify for anyone reading this, the specific part the dealer wanted to change was the M.S.C. Unit: Honda OEM 81228-TK8-A61. Does anyone know exactly what this little black box actually does and if something could fail inside it that would cause this specific problem?

I've found better prices elsewhere for the part of course but can find nothing on a google search describing it's function or even instructions on how to remove and replace it. Thanks again for any help you have to offer.

Starting to seem as if I've got a pretty unique issue with this one unfortunately.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again for responding, really do appreciate your help on this.

Both keys were programmed at the dealer and both function perfectly.

The problem isn't with the seat moving into Position 2 or not when Driver 2 key is used to unlock the doors. The problem is that there is no way to set Position 2 from the buttons on the door itself. Position 1 will set every time I press Set and then 1, but pressing 2 does nothing and the lights just keep blinking.

If the seat and mirrors are moved out of Position 1 everything resets to Position 1 when Driver 1 key is used to unlock the doors. I can only assume at this point that Position 2 would be reset by the Driver 2 key if there was a Position 2 stored in the memory. However that is the crux of the problem that we are completely unable to store Position 2, only Position 1.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Thanks again for responding, really do appreciate your help on this.

Both keys were programmed at the dealer and both function perfectly.

The problem isn't with the seat moving into Position 2 or not when Driver 2 key is used to unlock the doors. The problem is that there is no way to set Position 2 from the buttons on the door itself. Position 1 will set every time I press Set and then 1, but pressing 2 does nothing and the lights just keep blinking.

If the seat and mirrors are moved out of Position 1 everything resets to Position 1 when Driver 1 key is used to unlock the doors. I can only assume at this point that Position 2 would be reset by the Driver 2 key if there was a Position 2 stored in the memory. However that is the crux of the problem that we are completely unable to store Position 2, only Position 1.
no worries... trying to be useful here...

lets go back to basics... have you disconnected the negative battery terminal for 10 mins at any point during this troubleshooting?
was the battery replaced recently?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haven't personally disconnected the negative battery terminal at any point. I'd assume the dealer shop would have tried that if it is a normal troubleshooting step. This is the first I'm hearing of trying this so bear with me please. Would all of the settings for the Odyssey reset to defaults if the battery is disconnected for that long?

The battery has not been replaced since the previous owner purchased it over a year ago. Before that I have no idea but certainly not recently.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Haven't personally disconnected the negative battery terminal at any point. I'd assume the dealer shop would have tried that if it is a normal troubleshooting step. This is the first I'm hearing of trying this so bear with me please. Would all of the settings for the Odyssey reset to defaults if the battery is disconnected for that long?

The battery has not been replaced since the previous owner purchased it over a year ago. Before that I have no idea but certainly not recently.
will lose all your settings...

radio will ask for a code... hold the power button for 5-10 seconds and you'll be good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No way the dealer tried this then because all my settings were still there except for the seat memory. Had to reset Position 1 the way I liked it. Will the keys still work or will they need reprogramming? Not planning to do this in the dark tonight but will try in the morning. Thanks

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
No way the dealer tried this then because all my settings were still there except for the seat memory. Had to reset Position 1 the way I liked it. Will the keys still work or will they need reprogramming? Not planning to do this in the dark tonight but will try in the morning. Thanks
keys are unaffected...
that would be problematic!

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,071 Posts
Keys will still work after any length of battery disconnection.

I would suspect the switches on the door before the memory seat module.

Think about it... the computer controls/readjusts the seat position and outside mirror positions correctly for seat 1. Does it also correctly dip the outside mirrors in reverse (set the mirror control switch to either L or R and put the van in reverse - does the mirror dip and return on the selected side when put back in Park or Drive?). If so, like 95%+ of its functionality has been proven to work... The only part of the system you haven't seen respond is the "#2" switch itself.

Anyway... The switch assembly is under $30 online and should be a DIY replacement. PN 35961-TK8-A01

-Charlie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Raining here today so going to wait until it clears up, will update on progress as soon as I've tried disconnecting the battery.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Keys will still work after any length of battery disconnection.

I would suspect the switches on the door before the memory seat module.

Think about it... the computer controls/readjusts the seat position and outside mirror positions correctly for seat 1. Does it also correctly dip the outside mirrors in reverse (set the mirror control switch to either L or R and put the van in reverse - does the mirror dip and return on the selected side when put back in Park or Drive?). If so, like 95%+ of its functionality has been proven to work... The only part of the system you haven't seen respond is the "#2" switch itself.

Anyway... The switch assembly is under $30 online and should be a DIY replacement. PN 35961-TK8-A01

-Charlie
This one got me curious, so plugged in the foxwell scanner yesterday and looked in the body electric menu for the power seats.
the option to test the seat memory settings said unsupported.

hopefully in this case its just a switch, and it is a cheap gamble.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Totally agree with you on that phattyduck and really starting to question the knowledge of my Honda dealer mechanics. Was bad enough they did the software update then didn't even test to see if the problem was solved before trying to send me on my way. At least they admitted their fix was worthless and refunded the cost of the update but that doesn't make up for my time.

Yes, both mirrors correctly dip when selected and put into reverse. Would really love this to be a simple inexpensive fix so keeping fingers crossed the battery reset works or just an inexpensive part like the switch on the door itself.

Many thanks to you phattyduck and Ticket for all your insight and suggestions so far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hiya Ticket I'm not familiar with a foxwell scanner or much of the terminology you used there. Do you mind explaining that a bit further and what exactly that implies?

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,071 Posts
Hiya Ticket I'm not familiar with a foxwell scanner or much of the terminology you used there. Do you mind explaining that a bit further and what exactly that implies?
Foxwell is a manufacturer of advanced scanners that provide more functionality than just a standard OBD-II scanner. In this case, a scanner from Foxwell can often test systems like ABS, airbags, transmission control, AC, HVAC, etc. on modern cars.

-Charlie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well guys sorry to keep you waiting but finally got a dry morning here. Disconnected the negative terminal and let it sit for a good twenty minutes. Unfortunately the problem persists so will order the door switch and then get it installed. Will keep you updated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Either of you know the difference between 35961-TK8-A01 and 35961-TK8-A01 ZD? The ZD variant is a few dollars less but hondapartsnow.com says it can not verify fitment to my year model while it does verify the non ZD variant. Always looking to save a couple bucks but don't want to waste time having to do a return.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts