Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Noob Odyclub user here!

Last night I purchased a 2012 Ody Touring Elite (Navi and dvd) and still have a LOT to figure out. I hope y'all can help me get started!

My initial questions:
1. Can the dvd audio be routed to ONLY the back seats? (I have little interest in hearing Tinkerbell/Princess and the Frog/Beauty and the Beast again.)

2. Is it truly possible to see the actual dvd main menu on my Navi screen as I would on my tv at home? (Not just Honda's "Top Menu" "Menu" "Play Mode" etc)

Right now, even if I press "REAR POWER" then "REAR SOURCE" as it says to on page 242 of my manual, the sound is still full car surround sound and no dvd image appears.

Manual says when I push "REAR SOURCE" that should beep 3 times. Mine only beeps 2. It does change from "front" to "rear". Manual says after pushing "REAR SOURCE" that "the front display changes to what is displayed on the rear overhead screen. The audio from the front speakers switches to the audio played in the rear." This isn't happening.

Any help would be appreciated!
Jenny

·
Registered
191 Posts
Use the fade setting on the front audio controls to the rear. My touring pushes it to the rear and sets to theatre mode (5.1 surround to the back...center speaker in the dvd player itself and it works great!).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping that since I paid all this money to get the Touring Elite that it would send the sound to the back automatically. Hmmm...

Any thoughts on being able to see the same image my kids are seeing in the back, on my Navi screen?

Thanks!
Jenny

·
Registered
84 Posts
Any thoughts on being able to see the same image my kids are seeing in the back, on my Navi screen?

Thanks!
Jenny
Watching TV instead of the road isn't legal in some states ;) There are aftermarket electronics that allow you to do this with other vehicles, but not sure if any are geared towards the '11+ Odyssey yet.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I was hoping that since I paid all this money to get the Touring Elite that it would send the sound to the back automatically. Hmmm...

Thanks!
Jenny
If you fade the speakers all the way to the rear setting, it will play on the overhead center ceiling speaker located next to the RES screen.

As for watching any part of the DVD (including DVD menu) on the front nav screen, no this is not possible without some aftermarket add on. Honda has decided not to all allow this feature while others such as Toyota allow this when the Sienna when in park.

However, Toyota doesn't allow you to use the Nav (only voice commands) when driving but the Honda does so each manufacturer is different in what they determine to be safe behavior. Which do you think is more important?

:huh:

·
Registered
22 Posts

Thanks!
Jenny

Jenny - Did you figure out the issue of the sound in the back? I had problems getting mine to work, and come to find out, the sound was set on all of the back speakers when coming from the factory. Once I moved the sound to balance between the front & back, my daughter can watch a DVD with her headphones on and the rear speakers automatically turned off, so we don't have to listen to her movie (I can't tell you the number of hours we've listened to kids DVDs in the last 5 years before we just figured out in the spring that we had dual audio zones in our old Expedition, so figuring this out was a priority!). To be honest, I pushed a bunch of buttons and finally got it to work. The "Rear Power" button stays lit so my 6 yr old can use the DVD remote herself, and when we put in a DVD it will play on the speakers, but if I push a radio button (like "XM"), then it will play XM on the front speakers while she's listening to her movie (via the headphones). The DVD player does seem to automatically play movies (without pushing play on the menu) for most movies, but not all (it doesn't work for Monsters, Inc for some reason...). However if yours restarts after you turn your van off, see the thread on this forum about that...it shouldn't do it, and it is a pain! But they are working on a software patch.

Hope you have already figured this out though... As a Hokie, thought I'd give a gal from Radford a hand ;-).

Good luck!
Cindy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts