Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 2013 Honda Odyssey EX-L with around 150k miles. It has a clicking type noise that is very loud on cold start ups. The colder the temperature, the louder the noise. After the engine warms up the noise drops significantly. There are no noticeable leaks. Any thoughts?

Idle video:

rev 1 video:

Rev 2 video: - YouTube

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
5,929 Posts
Has the timing belt ever been replaced?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you are on to something. I did the ole screwdriver poke to feel vibrations and it felt the strongest on the tensioner. Timing belt has never been changed. Ideally I’d do that plus water pump, serpentine belt, and valve adjustment. Is that all easy enough to do on my own or more of a dealership thing? Note: I’m primarily used to small block Chevy. I’m capable but not a mechanic.

·
Registered
13,934 Posts
I think you are on to something. I did the ole screwdriver poke to feel vibrations and it felt the strongest on the tensioner. Timing belt has never been changed. Ideally I’d do that plus water pump, serpentine belt, and valve adjustment. Is that all easy enough to do on my own or more of a dealership thing? Note: I’m primarily used to small block Chevy. I’m capable but not a mechanic.
I've heard this noise many times. 100% it's a failing tensioner.

DIY depends on your tools and abilities. We would have no idea of either but know if the timing belt is done incorrectly you will be removing cylinder heads and replacing valves. Your van is way overdue for a timing belt and you are at extremely high risk of severe engine damage if you don't get this done ASAP. I would not continue to drive the vehicle until it's done. That tensioner is giving you warning, which many people don't ever get. You're lucky.

·
Registered
13,934 Posts
If you're set on DIY, it can be done with hand tools with exception of the crank pulley bolt. It takes some massive tools for that. I use a Milwaukee 2767 high torque 1/2" impact and the Lisle heavy mass socket to get it off. Anything else has been hit or miss for me, even using 3/4" drive breaker bars, etc. There is also a pulley holding tool for retorquing the crank bolt on reassembly.

Use the Aisin TKH002 timing belt kit but stick with a genuine Honda serpentine belt. Aftermarket belts cause serpentine belt tensioner rattles.

The valve adjustment job isn't bad except for the rear head. You can't see it so It's done in the blind and tedious. There is a wiring harness that runs across the rear valve cover that is in the way and makes it tough.

I would recommend a service manual or subscription to AlldataDIY if you're going to attempt it. Also there are lots of threads here on Timing Belt jobs with tips/tricks.

Here is but one:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for everyone’s help. I ordered the parts and socket/crankshaft tool a couple days ago. Unfortunately.. my wife side swiped an iron gate and ruined the entire passenger side front-to-back. Waiting to see if it is totaled out before I even mess with the timing belt!
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oof. now you're making me worry that the extra wheel and tire coverage I bought my wife last year on her new Civic will not suffice. To be fair she only hit her Venza off the garage opening twice and put a crease all the down the other side by side swiping a Comcast contractor's trailer that was parked on the side of the drive.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hello all,

I have a 2013 Honda Odyssey EX-L with around 150k miles. It has a clicking type noise that is very loud on cold start ups. The colder the temperature, the louder the noise. After the engine warms up the noise drops significantly. There are no noticeable leaks. Any thoughts?

Idle video:

rev 1 video:

Rev 2 video: - YouTube
I know that sound. I had that sound on my '12 with 102k miles last December. Very similar symptoms. On cold days it rattles and then quiets down as the car warms up. The timing belt tensioner is failing. Time for a new timing belt. Do it sooner than later as a broken timing belt will damage the engine.

I swapped the belt out myself. The most important thing is to get the parts from a reputable source. I bought the Aisin kit from RockAuto. They go out of stock regularly, but get on their waiting list and they will email you when they are back in stock. It only took a couple of weeks. Do NOT buy any kits from Amazon or Ebay. Lots of people have been burned with tensioner and belt failures of stuff they bought on Amazon and Ebay.

I'm an average DIY mechanic. I've done a few timing belts on other cars in the past. It took me 8.5 hours to do the entire job. The most important thing to do is make sure you can get the crank bolt off before you do anything else. If you can't get the bolt off, you can't do the job. I had a few false starts. I tried a long breaker bar propped on a jack stand. No go. I tried the starter method, still no go. I then got the Lisle socket and a Ryobi mid torque impact rated for 600 ft/lbs. No go. I finally got it off with a Milwaukee high torque impact rated for 1000 ft/lbs. Only took a couple of seconds. Once the bolt is off, the rest is easier.

I watched multiple youtube videos in preparation. I got a lot of good tips from the 1a Auto video. Watch all the videos and pick the best tips from each. Good luck.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
5,929 Posts
Funny how stuff like this always happens just as you get ready to do some work...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts