Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been looking at a used 2013 EX-L with 131,000 KM.

I have some concerns with the amount of rust on the underside and door contact points (see images). This seems a little excessive even for a vehicle in Ontario. There is also oxidation on all four wheels, which I read has happened to others, and a tow hitch that looks pretty bad. Does this rust look like it soon lead to structural issues?

For comparison I've also drive a 2014 EX with 133,000 KM with minimal underside rust (but it was rust proofed).

On test drives the 2013 feels considerably smoother shifting and the steering feels a lot more nimble. I know there are transmission differences between the two but would a 2013 be preferred over a 2014 if the rust wasn't a major concern?

Thanks,

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle door Wood

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,659 Posts
The transmission issues in the 6-speed are (by and large) so cheap and easy to fix compared to any kind of rust problem that I wouldn't give a moment's thought to passing up the rusty one regardless of any other qualities.

My 2015 that has spent its whole life in Alberta (we do use road salt here too, but not as much as Ontario) does not have anywhere near that much corrosion on the underside and none at all on the hinges and door bolts. That van has been neglected badly.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,134 Posts
That van has been neglected badly.
Seriously! How did the door latch mechanism get rusty?!? (and that thing is supposed to be fairly well greased too) Looks like it wasn't washed and was parked outdoors so it stayed extra wet.

-Charlie

·
Registered
70 Posts
Seriously! How did the door latch mechanism get rusty?!? (and that thing is supposed to be fairly well greased too) Looks like it wasn't washed and was parked outdoors so it stayed extra wet.

-Charlie
Or parked indoors after out in the snow and allowed to melt and rust every night.....It rusts less when cold / frozen.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
buy something with a little more pride of ownership.

if you live in Ontario the amount of salt the use on roads is incredible, krown or rust check are mandatory for undercarriage longevity and resale value.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
downloaded the image and zoomed in on that axle, its throwing grease.
you can see it throwing grease on the boot for inner tie rod.

love that sales guys leather shoes and that nice showroom tile floor.
if only the the van looked that good!

run away from that neglected pos.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts

-Charlie
mine looked the same until I shot it with some rust inhibitor like krown or fluid film.

the north is hard on everything.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
The transmission issues in the 6-speed are (by and large) so cheap and easy to fix compared to any kind of rust problem that I wouldn't give a moment's thought to passing up the rusty one regardless of any other qualities.

My 2015 that has spent its whole life in Alberta (we do use road salt here too, but not as much as Ontario) does not have anywhere near that much corrosion on the underside and none at all on the hinges and door bolts. That van has been neglected badly.
monthly payments, gas, oil changes, get rid of it.

know lots of those "types"

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,134 Posts
On par with my 4Runner but the truck is 22 years old 😬
My 22 year old 4Runner is rust free... but it never sees salt. Well, unless you count desert dry lakebeds as salt (which is is, but it gets washed off fully after those adventures).

Even then, I still spray a few key areas with Fluid Film.

-Charlie

Reactions: FD7683

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 22 year old 4Runner is rust free... but it never sees salt. Well, unless you count desert dry lakebeds as salt (which is is, but it gets washed off fully after those adventures).

Even then, I still spray a few key areas with Fluid Film.

-Charlie
My frame is rotting away sadly. It ain't too bad now but I don't see the SUV making it over 5+ years w/o needing the frame serviced. Classic rustbelt Ohio where 5 year old cars start to show rust spots on the undercarriage 👍🏼😃When it snows here, I try to wash it 4 times a month - maybe more.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
My frame is rotting away sadly. It ain't too bad now but I don't see the SUV making it over 5+ years w/o needing the frame serviced. Classic rustbelt Ohio where 5 year old cars start to show rust spots on the undercarriage 👍🏼😃When it snows here, I try to wash it 4 times a month - maybe more.
Krown rust protection has a location in Versailles and Anna, which isnt too far from you.

worth the 139 bux every other year to stop under body rot.
if you have never done it before and the unberbody is rusty, do 3 years in a row to get a nice layer of oil, then alternate every 2 years.

I buy cases of the rattle cans, and get the vehicles on the hoist at a friends shop, and blast anywhere there is bare metal or rust poking out.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I couldn't live in a place like that, my brother live in Alberta and let me tell u....Never in my life I have seen a tire submersed on a frozen pothole while parked overnight. Happy to live in South Florida. Beside rust, every car has a cracked windshield... I believe they pour as well gravel on the road for traction. His garage beside being a garage is a huge freezer, he keeps the soft drinks and beer ready to drink....u want one..?..go to the garage, grab one and ready to go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Reason for serious underbody rust:
1. Car parked at road side regularly in winter where salt mixed with snow
2. Snowplow push the salty snow under the road side, where the van/car parked
3. Car parked on top of thick layer of salty snow
4. Entire underbody is "dip" under salty snow every winter
5. No underbody rust treatment before to minimize salt exposure

Reason for serious door latch rust:
1. Car was used for commercial purpose
2. Sliding door was open for hours during work, and exposed to snow/rain

Don't recommend to buy rusty car, as many parts are degraded and need replacement (costly) in 5 yr ownership

1 - 20 of 22 Posts