Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a 2 sec delay from P to D and slowly goes into drive when pedal is depressed. ATF level is on par, recently did drain and fill;drove for 20 min after change, went on level surface, turned off motor,waited 90 seconds and checked level,atf spot on in middle of hot and no CEL or any other issues. Is this movement delay from P to D normal or ? Thanks

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
There's a 2 sec delay from P to D and slowly goes into drive when pedal is depressed. ATF level is on par, recently did drain and fill;drove for 20 min after change, went on level surface, turned off motor,waited 90 seconds and checked level,atf spot on in middle of hot and no CEL or any other issues. Is this movement delay from P to D normal or ? Thanks
what trim? 5 speed or 6 speed?

On my 6 speed touring, I have the delay from P to R when its -5 F outside, due to the fluid being cold and thick.

how well have you maintained your fluid, and what fluid are you using?

more details required...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Used Castro transmax import multi vehicle atf.only had van for 2 mos. Changed atf 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Used Castro transmax import multi vehicle atf.only had van for 2 mos. Changed atf 3 weeks ago.
bet if you get all that fluid out and replace it with dw1 your problem will be solved

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
So another drain and replace with dw1 honda atf could POSSIBLY fix? Cheapest I've seen is Amazon 57.60 for 6 qts..thanks
3x drain and fill with some driving between changes. Use honda dw1 or idemitsu fluid.

Who told you to use castrol in the first place

·
Registered
480 Posts
Now that you've introduced the Castro, you're going to have to do a few 1x swaps in a row to really get it the heck out of the system. So you're going to need at least 6 if not more quarts of DW1. Do a 1x swap, drive for a while (hour, day, whatever) then another 1x swap and see if shifting has improved. If not, another 1x.

Red Lubeguard might not be a bad idea either with 113k on the clock. And if you want to go cheap but solid, Valvoline MaxLife is a good alternative and can be found at Wallymart for $18 a gallon. Our '16 EXL seems to prefer DW1 but I swap between the two and add a bit of Lubeguard too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,334 Posts
Don't automatically discount your friendly neighbourhood Honda dealership as a source of parts. The dealership we bought our van from happens to be about 5 minutes from our house (which is incredibly convenient) but at least as important, their parts department offers volume discounts on things like fluids. I use OEM Honda ATF because the combination of convenience, price and compatibility is hard to beat in my case.

If you buy a case at a time (which is what you'll need to get all that Castrol out of there), you may get away a bit cheaper at a dealership.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,514 Posts
Who told you to use castrol in the first place
The Castol bottle does say it is Honda DW-1 compatible, so he/she is not totally out in left field. But otherwise, yes - penny wise, pound foolish to try to save a few $$$ with an unproven fluid.

-Charlie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts