Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
While cleaning off the windshield on our van, I noticed the side molding seals aren’t flush with the windshield. My photos are bad but I tried to capture the general area. Both seem to have been replaced at one point as the driver side is really in there and there’s some black sealant applied around the clips. The passenger side is easily removed. The adhesive seems a little loose. The passenger clips do not appear to have been installed deep enough, as the seal doesn’t sit against the windshield on the upper 8” or so. I didn’t notice any extra noise while driving it or water seeping in when we drive thru a big downpour a few days ago. Still, I might want to fix this. What is the adhesive I should use to reseat the clips a little deeper?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Hello everyone!
While cleaning off the windshield on our van, I noticed the side molding seals aren’t flush with the windshield. My photos are bad but I tried to capture the general area. Both seem to have been replaced at one point as the driver side is really in there and there’s some black sealant applied around the clips. The passenger side is easily removed. The adhesive seems a little loose. The passenger clips do not appear to have been installed deep enough, as the seal doesn’t sit against the windshield on the upper 8” or so. I didn’t notice any extra noise while driving it or water seeping in when we drive thru a big downpour a few days ago. Still, I might want to fix this. What is the adhesive I should use to reseat the clips a little deeper?
Had this exact same issue on my 2012TE, windshield was replaced when I bought it from the dealer.

Get yourself some RTV Black silocone in a tube for 10-15 bux, and put a generous bead under the weatherstrip, wiping up the excess.
hold it down with some sticky tape until it dries.

3 years and going, and mine is still holding up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks for the advice 🙂 So it bonds well to the windshield glass and the seal? It looks like they may have had the whistling issue addressed and the windshield place didn’t quite get it flush. There’s no whistling but just don’t want water seeping down there (if that would even be an issue.)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Cool, thanks for the advice 🙂 So it bonds well to the windshield glass and the seal? It looks like they may have had the whistling issue addressed and the windshield place didn’t quite get it flush. There’s no whistling but just don’t want water seeping down there (if that would even be an issue.)
urethane holds the glass in, that stuff is like cement.

the weather strip is cosmetic and there to reduce wind noise.

I suggested RTV as it can be removed, if you want that thing on there forever, urethane will seal the deal.

pun intended.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Get yourself some RTV Black silocone in a tube for 10-15 bux, and put a generous bead under the weatherstrip, wiping up the excess.
hold it down with some sticky tape until it dries.
so you put Rtv on the hard plastic-strip-to-the-windshield, (where his pic showed the gap ) or you take off the plastic strip And put rtv On whatever weather stripping is there and rtv that to the windshield? Thanks

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
so you put Rtv on the hard plastic-strip-to-the-windshield, (where his pic showed the gap ) or you take off the plastic strip And put rtv On whatever weather stripping is there and rtv that to the windshield? Thanks
on my vehicle I pulled up the top edge and laid down a fat bead of RTV, then pushed it back wiped up the excess and taped it in place.

taking the whole thing off is overkill.

when they changed the windshield they re-used the molding, guessing the top clips broke.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts