Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2014 Ody- excessive wind noise on front passenger side

9K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  parmm 
#1 ·
Have put about 7k miles on my 2014 EX-L Ody and the noise on the front passenger side is loud. Appears when over 45 MPH. Took it in once, and some of techs heard it, but ran blower around windshield and side window and couldn't find anything. Have over 15 people ride in the Ody and all agree that it is noisy. My 2007 Toyota Siena was much quieter. Am taking back to service dept again on 3/12/14. If this continues, I will never buy such a poor quality car again.

#3 ·
Took to dealer on 3/12/14 and they did not acknowledge there was a problem. I feel it is a problem with the design of the Ody. Suggest before anyone buys an Ody, that they test drive at speeds in excess of 50mph to see if they have issue. Preferred my quiet 2007 Toyota Siena.

#5 ·
My Ody is noisy at any speed, even stopped. I blame my kids for all the noise.

Reactions: AndrewS816
#7 ·
I have a 2014 Odyssey Touring and have the same problem as KSU - marked excessive wind noise. The noise is present from both the driver's and passenger's side but is especially bad on the passenger's side at my ear level near the top of the window. It is very tiring on long trips at highway speeds. The dealer has made some changes and did get rid of the wind whistle, but the excessive wind noise remains. The dealer hears the noise also and has been diligent in trying to fix this but has been unsuccessful. I have driven other Odysseys of the same style that don't have as much noise, but some do. Is there any fix to this? Are any of the window deflectors, such as made by Weather Tech, helpful? I would hate to have to trade this in before it's second oil change as there are many things that I like about the Odyssey, but I may have to. It is just too tiring on long trips which is what we use our minivan for. Thanks for any help or suggestions

#8 ·
The whistle/wind noise is Achilles heel of an Odyssey, but not every Odyssey. Most of the times the dealer mechanic cannot replicate the problem as they dont drive it long enough. So they take a guess and apply a sealer in the front quarter glass or replace the windshield seal, and of course that does not get rid of the noise. Some of them want to be nice and simply acknowledge the problem after a short test drive, but guess the problem area and apply a sealer here and there. That does not address the problem. The key is to find the location where the noise is coming. And that requires some experimentation over a few days by duck taping different segments and observing the change in the level of whistle wind noise. If the Honda engineers left out one challenge for their customers to solve, it is this problem.

#9 ·
A quick follow up. I did buy the Weather Tech window deflectors for the Odyssey, as I was getting very frustrated and willing to spend the money to try to get the wind noise to an acceptable level. They look nice, but they didn't really change the basic problem of excessive wind noise.

Also I just got back from a trip in a friend's 2014 Odyssey so rode in the passenger side for a long time. His Odyssey is much quieter with significantly less wind noise so it seems like it should be a fixable problem, but so far no luck. Let me know if anyone finds the "fix."

Roger K

#10 ·
We had a 14' Ody and I did notice the wind noise on the drivers side at highway speeds, almost as if the window was not closed all the way, I remember often trying to close it further thinking I accidentally hit the open tab. I forgot to mention it during the one service we had, however during that service the dealer asked to inspect our vehicle and make us an offer saying they where desperate for our color option and model for their used vehicle fleet(?). After turning down several offers they finally made one that was too good to pass up and we now have a 15' Ody and one thing I noticed right away was the fit and finish on the 15' (same trim level) is far better and it is much quieter inside especially at highway speeds.

#11 ·
Another quick follow up. The first, our local Honda dealer, with relatively new, young technicians, heard the noise, but couldn't find anything to fix. However, before I traded the Odyssey in on a Sienna, I felt it was worthwhile to take to another dealer even though it was about 50 miles away. The technician was very experienced, quickly heard, and agreed that the wind buffeting was abnormal. He literally spend several hours with me, taking the door apart and taping everything on the door. We went on numerous test drives, consistently making changes. Ultimately, to both our surprise, the problem was the door handle. Neither of us could see anything unusual about the door handle, but the wind buffeting clearly went away when we taped the handle and returned when we untaped it. He took the handle apart and all seals seemed fine. Never the less, he ordered new handles, put the new handle on, and the wind buffeting on the passenger side is gone! The handle does have only one bolt holding it on, so I wondered if a slight change in the angle of the handle could be the difference, but neither of us could see any "abnormal" angle. I'll be keeping the Odyssey now, thanks to Alex, the technician.

Those of you with continued excessive wind buffeting may want to try taping the handles completely and see if it makes a difference. It that works, try taping the front of the handle and then the back part of the handle. With my Odyssey taping the back part of the handle was what made the difference. Alex did say that this was the first time the handle was the issue, and he's chased down excessive wind noise in multiple Odysseys.

I hope this helps some of you. Let me know if it does.

Rog Klettke

#12 ·
Another quick follow up. The first, our local Honda dealer, with relatively new, young technicians, heard the noise, but couldn't find anything to fix. However, before I traded the Odyssey in on a Sienna, I felt it was worthwhile to take to another dealer even though it was about 50 miles away. The technician was very experienced, quickly heard, and agreed that the wind buffeting was abnormal. He literally spend several hours with me, taking the door apart and taping everything on the door. We went on numerous test drives, consistently making changes. Ultimately, to both our surprise, the problem was the door handle. Neither of us could see anything unusual about the door handle, but the wind buffeting clearly went away when we taped the handle and returned when we untaped it. He took the handle apart and all seals seemed fine. Never the less, he ordered new handles, put the new handle on, and the wind buffeting on the passenger side is gone! The handle does have only one bolt holding it on, so I wondered if a slight change in the angle of the handle could be the difference, but neither of us could see any "abnormal" angle. I'll be keeping the Odyssey now, thanks to Alex, the technician.

Those of you with continued excessive wind buffeting may want to try taping the handles completely and see if it makes a difference. It that works, try taping the front of the handle and then the back part of the handle. With my Odyssey taping the back part of the handle was what made the difference. Alex did say that this was the first time the handle was the issue, and he's chased down excessive wind noise in multiple Odysseys.

I hope this helps some of you. Let me know if it does.

Rog Klettke

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.