Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After trying to find out why the outside temp reading wasn't working in our 2014 Odyssey, the mechanic showed me where a squirrel or other animal chewed the Ambient Temp Sensor off! The wire is there, but sensor and its connection is gone. They quoted me some unrealistic price because the connection is part of the main wiring harness. I have a new sensor, but I can't find the connector. Does anyone know if there is a connector or pigtail available out there for this model? I noticed several sensor pigtails for different branded vehicles available online, but not for my model.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
After trying to find out why the outside temp reading wasn't working in our 2014 Odyssey, the mechanic showed me where a squirrel or other animal chewed the Ambient Temp Sensor off! The wire is there, but sensor and its connection is gone. They quoted me some unrealistic price because the connection is part of the main wiring harness. I have a new sensor, but I can't find the connector. Does anyone know if there is a connector or pigtail available out there for this model? I noticed several sensor pigtails for different branded vehicles available online, but not for my model.
another option...

do you have any auto recyclers in your area?
Assume any gen 4 that's wrecked in the yard will have a donor harness that you can cut off it.

our area has upull yards,sign the liability waiver, remove the part off yourself.
Item's like connectors, are only a few bux.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I checked with a few of them and they didn't have anything in this model range. I will keep checking.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I checked with a few of them and they didn't have anything in this model range. I will keep checking.
Good luck, go nationwide in your search.

oh by the way...

The reason the rodents eat your wires, is Honda has gone full retard like the rest of the planet using eco friendly non petroleum based wire insulation.
a quick google search brought back this.

its soy based now, and the rodents love to nom nom nom on your car wires now.
Toyota has the same issue.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,322 Posts
Honda sells repair connectors for most of the connectors on the front of the van, but sadly, not for that... you'll need to get one of any moder-ish Honda with an external temp sensor, which should be basically any of them, so don't limit yourself to just Odysseys.

-Charlie

Reactions: Ticket

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ticket and phattyduck, thanks for the replies! I will continue my searches. Great article, btw.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2014 LX that does not have an ambient thermometer. Apparently, it is not part of the LX package. Has anyone had any luck with an aftermarket thermometer? It is an annoyance not having one.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have a scanguage ii installed, it displays the air intake temperature, which lines up at cold start with the ambient temp on the dash + - 1-2 degrees F..

The scanguage also gives you the ability to view your transmission running temperatures and charging system voltage, along with check OBDii codes, gas mileage and consumption.

so thats an option for 139 bux on amazon.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
something like this would work too... you could hard wire it with an add a circuit fuse.
you would have to extend the sensor wire length, the stock ambient sensor is in the lower bumper area in front of the AC condenser.
not sure where you would situate it on the dash.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,322 Posts
I just roll down the window in my vehicles without ambient temp sensors. It is generally easy to feel what the temp is outside that way...

-Charlie

Reactions: oldskewel

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I find the ambient sensor to be inaccurate on scorching days in the summer.
guessing because its situated low and close to the road.
assume the original idea was to shield the sensor from the sun.

I have seen it jump to 115F while on the freeway, esp stop and go.
outside air temp was actually 99F

concrete and black asphalt can really soak up that thermal radiation.

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
1,891 Posts
I just roll down the window in my vehicles without ambient temp sensors. It is generally easy to feel what the temp is outside that way...

-Charlie
I think Bob Dylan had a song about that in the last century ... "don't need a weatherman to tell which way the wind blows."

My 2011 LX does not have that gauge nor many other features to break, and I am very happy to do without those, just to avoid little issues like this.

Very interesting about the lawsuit about soy-based wiring insulation. One thing in there that I can see is related to VCM (obviously a much bigger issue on these cars) is that the fact that the dealership used special tape to fix it meant they acknowledged the problem and the lawyers pounced on that. That may explain why Honda always denies VCM problems and dealerships shrug. They all know it, but cannot afford to admit even the most obvious things.

Also related - on the ecotardation of soy-based wiring, I believe it is a similar mindset that has led to an explosion of now dozens of different flavors of coolant. Coolant basically has to just not freeze, not boil, and inhibit corrosion, that's it, should be simple. But with all the different and evolving environmental regulations in Europe and Japan, there are a ton of choices, and about the only thing that can really go wrong is that you happen to mix two incompatible types, form a gel and cause actual problems. OK, enough ranting for now. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
1,891 Posts
I find the ambient sensor to be inaccurate on scorching days in the summer.
guessing because its situated low and close to the road.
assume the original idea was to shield the sensor from the sun.

I have seen it jump to 115F while on the freeway, esp stop and go.
outside air temp was actually 99F

concrete and black asphalt can really soak up that thermal radiation.
From my other cars that do have such a sensor, I believe the main functional reason to have the sensor is so that you can tell when the road surface is near freezing temperature - you may need to know that and change your driving accordingly, knowing there may be ice on the road.

I know at least my BMW will also give a written warning on the instrument panel and make a gong sound when the temp is 37*F or below. So that functionality may dictate the reason for putting the sensor in a place where it is strongly affected by road surface temperature, more so than even air temperature.

Radiation cooling (emitting to black space at night, or a clear blue sky in daytime) can make the road surface cooler than ambient air, in the same way that radiative heating (from the sun) can make it hotter in the summertime as you mention.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,322 Posts
guessing on the LX you have some blank spaces left of the steering wheel, where the misc buttons usually go..

if it fits, that would make a good spot for the display.

View attachment 160601
Even the Touring Elite has one of those buttons still blank. Which is odd, since the doubled-up the lower left button to control two different things.

-Charlie

·
Registered
14,543 Posts
There should always be an unused blank for aftermarket use. I think one of the reasons an LX does not have a temp sensor is because it has a manual HVAC system. It does not need to know the outside temp.

My wife's Acura RDX even knows what side the sun is on and adjusts the AC to compensate.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have a 2014 LX that does not have an ambient thermometer. Apparently, it is not part of the LX package. ...
Interesting. My 2013 LX has that. But then I noticed your wheel doesn't have all the buttons mine does either

1 - 19 of 19 Posts