Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I got the 2014 Odyssey Ex about 6 months ago. I just noticed today that my passenger side sliding door will not unlock all doors when touching the handle (key fob in pocket). I tried it with the "Child safety lock" on and off. All other doors do open as soon as my hand touches the handle. Has anybody else experienced this? Is this normal? I will take back to dealer if I'm the only one having this issue.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Faulty sensor. Warranty issue. I am encountering the same on my passenger front door. Plan to be taking it in. Others have had the sensors replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had to have both front sensor replaced and all is perfect now....strange issue but others have had it too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took the van to the dealer yesterday. I showed the front desk guy the problem, they took the van in the shop then came back and said there was no problem. I went back out with the front desk guy and showed him again, the issue is still present. My passenger side sliding door will not unlock when touching the handle, all other doors do. Seems like these guys don't know what I'm talking about. What did you guys say that you got yours fixed? How can I approach them with this problem?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a good services manager, but just make sure you do it with the services rep not the front desk. Unless that is who you were talking about, or offer to replicate it in the shop with the service tech.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I meant the service rep, who is the one I showed the problem to. I also sent an email to the service manager about handling the situation personally with him but have not had a reply back yet. I did have a bad experience at this dealer 2 weeks ago. Went in for oil and filter change, tire rotation and the airbag recall fix that just came out. When all done, I got home and noticed my tires had not been rotated, how do I know? I marked them and they were still at the same spot in the vehicle. Also, checked the work on the side curtain airbag, and to my surprise, grease all over the seats and panels that were removed to get to the airbag. I immediately called the service manager and explained what had happened. He asked me to bring the van in again, at which time the interior was cleaned and tires were rotated. As a result, I was not charged for any of the services received. That made me happy. Now it seems like they don't want to deal with me anymore and I just want to know how to approach them to have the new issue resolved. Could I contact Honda Canada directly?

·
Registered
291 Posts
We had an intermittent problem with our 2014 EX-RES. My wife complained the drivers and front passenger door wouldn't unlock when she put her hand on the handle. We went out into the garage and she tried it. It wasn't working. I took a few minutes of video with her trying both front doors and then the sliding doors (which did work and unlocked all doors). I planned to show the video to the dealer by mysteriously, the problem went away. Maybe this was a winter only problem? Anyway, if it surfaces again, I have a video to show the dealer. the best thing to do when you have an intermittent problem like this.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My passenger one finally gave up the ghost too last week! It was working intermittently and now is dead. Another issue to bring to the dealer with...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I brought the van in last week and was told there was a problem with an "actuator" in the door. They ordered the part and replaced it. My passenger side sliding door is now working the way it was intended.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this problem with my door handle unlock sensor on both left doors on my 2014 odyssey touring and went to the dealer and they are telling me that these doors have a lot of sensors and they are not sure which it would be. are the sensor actually in the door handle and if yes did you have your actual door handle replaced?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have this problem with my door handle unlock sensor on both left doors on my 2014 odyssey touring and went to the dealer and they are telling me that these doors have a lot of sensors and they are not sure which it would be. are the sensor actually in the door handle and if yes did you have your actual door handle replaced?
I believe they were the doorhandles that they replaced but I don't have the work report. My dealership is pretty good about fixing stuff without even bothering me with paperwork....that being said, the drivers side is acting up again but we're probably in the process of trading it in at the end of the lease for the next gen so haven't been anxious to fix it. Just use the back sliding doors sensors to unlock the car now. Bit of a pain.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This just started happening on our 2014 -- the drivers handle doesn't respond but the other 3 do. Anyone know the part for the handle sensor?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
This has just cropped up on our 2015 over the past few months. Neither passenger side door will unlock by touch, but the driver side still works (for now, anyway). Time to see how well Honda's extended warranty works.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This has just cropped up on our 2015 over the past few months. Neither passenger side door will unlock by touch, but the driver side still works (for now, anyway). Time to see how well Honda's extended warranty works.
I have the HondaCare extended warranty and both of my passenger side handles' touch to unlock feature do not work. Does anyone have experience with whether HondaCare will cover this? When I asked my service manager about it, he said it would cost $60-80 to diagnose the issue, and then they could call HC to see if replacement is covered...I would like to know before spending the money on diagnosing something I already diagnosed.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I have the HondaCare extended warranty and both of my passenger side handles' touch to unlock feature do not work. Does anyone have experience with whether HondaCare will cover this? When I asked my service manager about it, he said it would cost $60-80 to diagnose the issue, and then they could call HC to see if replacement is covered...I would like to know before spending the money on diagnosing something I already diagnosed.
I have not done anything about this yet. My wife and I are having trouble finding a day in the calendar when we wouldn't really need the van and I could take it in.:frown:

·
Registered
20 Posts
To update on this -- ended up having the dealer evaluate this, and they are replacing the door handle under the Honda Care extended warranty (I'm past 36k, but less than my 120k HC warranty).

HC is also covering a leaking timing belt tensioner + labor...good deal!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Glad to know you guys are getting it covered under the HC warranty. For those of us out of warranty, can you provide any insight as to what exactly they replaced to fix it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
To update on this -- ended up having the dealer evaluate this, and they are replacing the door handle under the Honda Care extended warranty (I'm past 36k, but less than my 120k HC warranty).
Could you find out exactly what they replaced? I'm trying to figure out if there's just a sensor part or if you have to do the entire handle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could you find out exactly what they replaced? I'm trying to figure out if there's just a sensor part or if you have to do the entire handle.
Similar situation. Driver's side on a 2014 Odyessy no longer works when close to the door (otherwise, unlocks fine for all doors using the button on the fob).

Had dealership check three times when in for other maintenance, including one time when the guy checking it in was able to replicate the problem himself but later said that the techs could not get it to replicate. Took it to another dealership, who replicated but want $440 to replace entire handle.

If only a sensor, I am interested. Or even a handle with sensor built in.

Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The whole handle assembly comes as one piece. There is no separate sensor. It does come pre-painted, at least.

You can look up part numbers via the official Honda website: https://estore.honda.com/honda/customer-home.asp

-Charlie

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
11 Participants
mnron
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing