Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Day before yesterday evening while waiting in BR drive through fcw system failed, check engine lights came on and felt I lost most of my engine power. Wasn't much I could do there and was 10 min from home so came home. Searched online and noticed people had reported similar issues. Checked oil and was near empty.
Took it to dealer yesterday, lo and behold it was P0303 with $3,303 estimate for "clean pistons and replace pistons rings along with spark plugs. Misfire no 3 cylinder. Sparknplug no 3 fouled"
Called American Honda, they were of no help saying no recall or repair for my vin and I an at 105k warranty ended at 60k. Pleaded my case referring to the 2013s and earlier lawsuits etc they didn't budge.
Spoke to my local mechanic, he advised not to mess with engine saying this oil burn issue is become common in many modern engines, said he will look for used engine to see if we can get one with low miles. Asked about the muzzler thing he said he hasn't found consistent result even with that.
Dealer said they will file claim with Honda and see if they could do something. Without that they were willing to give me 500 off. I have done most regular maintenance there.
Picked van up today (they did oil change) and it drove normally. Wondering what i should be doing next. Looking for advice on few things:
1. Should I just have my local mechanic change spark plugs for now to keep driving or is it safe to keep driving with fouled spark plug?
2. If I put in a muzzler, which one is best and will it void future reimbursement from honda? Honda said if in future this vehicle made it to list of same recall/tsb/repair then they may reimburse.
3. What are pros and cons of replacing whole engine with used one?
4. Any benefit of putting in fuel cleaning stuff in gas?
5. Would like to hear from any other 2014 or newer odyssey owners if they had this issue what path they took in terms of repair. Any pending lawsuit or something I should look to join?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
welcome to the forum...

suspect you are versed on this common issue, yet not enthusiastic to read all the threads on it in this forum.

read this recent post to get an idea of what you need to do.

post back your results, to help others and carry it forward.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,316 Posts
It's highly unlikely that these engines are going to see an extended or reimbursement in the future, IMO.

If the engine works fine, you don't need to replace it.

Put on a Muzzler, change the spark plugs, and keep driving. Many others have had success with this method. Keep an eye on the oil level, don't ever let it run low again. I'd advise doing a couple of short-interval oil changes to clean up the engine a bit.

I would highly recommend spending a little time reading through some of the more recent VCM-related threads on this forum. There are quite a few and many are experiencing similar problems as you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your quick responses. I have been reading many related threads, with there being so many its quite shocking that Honda is limiting the repair reimbursement till 2013s only.
Most of the cases I read were from people that were included in that lawsuit range or may have had lower mileage or in extended warranty. Since I am out of warranty and miles a bit high at 105k I wasn't sure if doing the vcm muzzling now will "fix" the issue.
I could still give it a shot given the lower cost. So I suppose I should just go with spark plugs, vcm tuner and techron.
What do people think of fuel injection / throttle body cleaning?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Thank you both for your quick responses. I have been reading many related threads, with there being so many its quite shocking that Honda is limiting the repair reimbursement till 2013s only.
Most of the cases I read were from people that were included in that lawsuit range or may have had lower mileage or in extended warranty. Since I am out of warranty and miles a bit high at 105k I wasn't sure if doing the vcm muzzling now will "fix" the issue.
I could still give it a shot given the lower cost. So I suppose I should just go with spark plugs, vcm tuner and techron.
read the thread I linked above, the poster was very thorough in documenting his journey from beginning to resolution.

dont buy into the piston ring replacement BS, it seems to be the exception not the norm.

keep that motor stock.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
oh... and Honda has spent more on lawyers skirting responsibility on this issue than paying their engineers to do a good job.

another class action would be needed to cover the 2014 models and above out of warranty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just ordered vcm.tuner 2, with priority shipping. Meanwhile I am planning to take it to my local mechanic tomorrow to have the spark plugs changed which are due anyway. Would it be a bad idea to do those now before vcm muzzling and before some techron treatments followed by oil changes or should I get spark plugs changed now?

I am only planning to use van during the week for light driving (basically need to do a school pickup tue to fri about 5 miles driving). Could that be too risky and damage the new spark plugs if pistons are misfiring?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,316 Posts
The pistons are misfiring because of the spark plugs. The new spark plugs will fix the misfiring. The spark plugs are fouling because of VCM. As long as you install a Muzzler soon, you won't harm the new spark plugs. If you don't install the Muzzler, the VCM will continue to cause the piston rings to stick, and the oil burning will continue, fouling your new spark plugs after a few thousand miles.

How low exactly did the oil level get? Was it still showing up on the dipstick?

Reactions: Mon858

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The pistons are misfiring because of the spark plugs. The new spark plugs will fix the misfiring. The spark plugs are fouling because of VCM. As long as you install a Muzzler soon, you won't harm the new spark plugs. If you don't install the Muzzler, the VCM will continue to cause the piston rings to stick, and the oil burning will continue, fouling your new spark plugs after a few thousand miles.

How low exactly did the oil level get? Was it still showing up on the dipstick?
It was barely showing a drop at the bottom of the dip stick. Below the minimum level section which has the recessed part in the stick.

·
Registered
2010 EX-L 230,000 2010 Touring 91,000
76 Posts
I wouldn't mess with that. But, you are due for a timing belt replacement, I would do that, along with new plugs and vcm tuner and Techron in the gas.

·
Registered
14,592 Posts
Once you do get everything in place (plugs, Muzzler, maybe some techron) i would try to get it out on the road a bit. Those short school pick up trips are not going to clean things up like some brisk driving will.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the tips again. Here is the update/plan for now:
1. New ngk iridium spark plugs replaced today
(Mechanic showed me and 1 2 3 showed worse than 4 5 6 that were dry.) I should have kept them for my reference and potentially to show honda in case ever needed perhaps.
2. Added a bottle of techron to near empty tank filled with 12 gallons premium gas
3. Vcm tuner 2 had shipped, hoping to get in couple days and install on Friday.
4. Van drove much better after new plugs., no cel blinking either.
5. Have a road trip planned next week (chi to Michigan) which should give enough miles with muzzler one I suppose. Hopefully I didn't have bad enough damage on pistons that trip goes fine.
6. Thinking of doing another round of techron in jan followed by oil change.
Side note: found techron on sale at napa auto 5 bucks per bottle.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,316 Posts
Thanks for the tips again. Here is the update/plan for now:
1. New ngk iridium spark plugs replaced today
(Mechanic showed me and 1 2 3 showed worse than 4 5 6 that were dry.) I should have kept them for my reference and potentially to show honda in case ever needed perhaps.
2. Added a bottle of techron to near empty tank filled with 12 gallons premium gas
3. Vcm tuner 2 had shipped, hoping to get in couple days and install on Friday.
4. Van drove much better after new plugs., no cel blinking either.
5. Have a road trip planned next week (chi to Michigan) which should give enough miles with muzzler one I suppose. Hopefully I didn't have bad enough damage on pistons that trip goes fine.
6. Thinking of doing another round of techron in jan followed by oil change.
Side note: found techron on sale at napa auto 5 bucks per bottle.
Techron is good to use every so often as a preventative maintenance measure, but it's mainly a fuel system cleaner (gas tank, fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel injectors, etc). It's not going to do much, if anything, for the oil burning problem you're having.

Again, I want to emphasize the importance of keeping an eye on the oil level and not letting it run low. Shorter interval oil changes will also help free up stuck piston rings and any other deposits inside the engine that were caused by VCM. I would recommend changing the oil ASAP and then doing it again in 3K miles given how severe your oil burning is. The oil burning won't go away overnight even with the new plugs and VCM Muzzler, the existing deposits/sludge or whatever is stuck on the piston rings will need to be cleaned off, so expect the van to continue to burn some oil in the meantime.

Reactions: skelsall and Mon858

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Techron is good to use every so often as a preventative maintenance measure, but it's mainly a fuel system cleaner (gas tank, fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel injectors, etc). It's not going to do much, if anything, for the oil burning problem you're having.

Again, I want to emphasize the importance of keeping an eye on the oil level and not letting it run low. Shorter interval oil changes will also help free up stuck piston rings and any other deposits inside the engine that were caused by VCM. I would recommend changing the oil ASAP and then doing it again in 3K miles given how severe your oil burning is. The oil burning won't go away overnight even with the new plugs and VCM Muzzler, the existing deposits/sludge or whatever is stuck on the piston rings will need to be cleaned off, so expect the van to continue to burn some oil in the meantime.
Forgot to mention oil was changed on Thursday at dealer. Obviously with oil so low I wouldn't be able to drive at all. Plan is to keep an eye on it and do short interval changes hoping the burning issue gets better with time.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,522 Posts
It was barely showing a drop at the bottom of the dip stick. Below the minimum level section which has the recessed part in the stick.
While that is low, it is no where near "out of oil" The difference between "LOW" and "FULL" on the dipstick for most car engines is 1 quart. You were likely 1.5 quarts low out of 4.5 quarts. You likely caught it before that particular issue caused damage.

You are on the right track otherwise to make sure it doesn't happen again.

-Charlie

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
While that is low, it is no where near "out of oil" The difference between "LOW" and "FULL" on the dipstick for most car engines is 1 quart. You were likely 1.5 quarts low out of 4.5 quarts. You likely caught it before that particular issue caused damage.

You are on the right track otherwise to make sure it doesn't happen again.

-Charlie
Thank you for that feedback, that is quite reassuring.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,316 Posts
Thank you for that feedback, that is quite reassuring.
Originally I had asked because I was going to say that if you had run the engine COMPLETELY dry, that I would think twice about putting the $$ into the timing belt job that is normally done at 105K. But, since the oil wasn't run terribly low, and you had already changed the timing belt at 75K, I didn't bring it up.

Wondering why you had changed the timing belt so early?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts