Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2014 Odyssey intermittent battery light after new alternator

1315 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  S Pawas
Hello Folks: We replaced alternator on our 2014 odyssey (85k miles). Put a remanufactured advanced auto parts alternator. Its been 3 months now and the battery light comes up daily for few seconds and goes away. Its started 1 week after we replaced it. Advance auto checked battery and alternator twice and said both were ok. What could be the issue ? Van has not stalled or stopped working.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2012 EXL. 2013 Touring
562 Posts
Hello Folks: We replaced alternator on our 2014 odyssey (85k miles). Put a remanufactured advanced auto parts alternator. Its been 3 months now and the battery light comes up daily for few seconds and goes away. Its started 1 week after we replaced it. Advance auto checked battery and alternator twice and said both were ok. What could be the issue ? Van has not stalled or stopped working.
The issue is a cheap electronic regulator in the alternator. The way to look at is it is like buying a plastic shovel to move gravel. It will work for a year then start cracking and finally fail. When you buy a steel shovel it last for 7 years with no problems until the handle breaks. Why everyone recommends Denso products is they use a regulator that costs 3 times as much as the generic one the others use. That is why your original alternator lasted 85K.

· Registered
11,016 Posts
remanufactured advanced auto parts alternator
Parts store alternators are hit-and-miss for reliability. Too bad it didn't just die - they would have exchanged it, hopefully for a better one. With this intermittent problem, you are stuck with it.

The intermittent battery light means the alternator is dropping out, so the battery has to work harder. Continuing like this will shorten the life of your battery.

As mentioned above, remanufactured by Denso is more reliable. (Note, that's different from a remanufactured Denso.)

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,263 Posts
You can get the reman Denso from RockAuto. That will be more than adequate.

· Registered
361 Posts
I recently had an alternator go bad in my Chevy truck. The fail was intermittent and I could tell by the battery gauge on my dashboard cluster. I had my alternator and battery checked and was told both were good, but still had symptoms afterward. Watching that battery charge gauge I could tell that the alternator would work...then not work...then work...then not, etc. Made sure the gauge showed it wasn't working when I had it checked less than a week later and the alternator was tested bad.

So the fail in your alternator may be intermittent also and that's why it tested good.

· Registered
3,671 Posts
Go for a reman if it saves you at least $100. This is another sponsor of this site.

CarID

· Registered
37 Posts
As mentioned above, remanufactured by Denso is more reliable. (Note, that's different from a remanufactured Denso.)
Sorry to jump in on this thread but I just posted a few minutes ago looking for a new Denso alternator, I'm only seeing remanufactured. Can you please tell me more about what I need to look for to make sure I get the right one? How do I know if it is remanufactured by Denso or by someone else? I have a 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring and it gives me the following 3 part numbers when I do a search on my vehicle:

Alternator (RMD) (Denso) Core ID (104210-1240) (9764219-124) -
Honda (06311-RV0-505RM)

Alternator Assembly (CSJ24) (Denso) - Honda (31100-RV0-305)

Alternator (RMD) (Denso) - Honda (06311-RV0-515RM)

Any source for a NEW one?

Please note: I know NOTHING about cars, but ordering parts for my husband to fix when he returns from a business trip!!

· Registered
11,016 Posts
Sorry to jump in on this thread but I just posted a few minutes ago looking for a new Denso alternator, I'm only seeing remanufactured. Can you please tell me more about what I need to look for to make sure I get the right one? How do I know if it is remanufactured by Denso or by someone else? I have a 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring and it gives me the following 3 part numbers when I do a search on my vehicle:

Alternator (RMD) (Denso) Core ID (104210-1240) (9764219-124) -
Honda (06311-RV0-505RM)

Alternator Assembly (CSJ24) (Denso) - Honda (31100-RV0-305)

Alternator (RMD) (Denso) - Honda (06311-RV0-515RM)

Any source for a NEW one?

Please note: I know NOTHING about cars, but ordering parts for my husband to fix when he returns from a business trip!!
Replied in your other thread.

They all started out new as Denso, so they throw out the name. If they aren't rebuilt by Denso, they are no longer Denso.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.