Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago my Honda dealer called me to tell me my 2014 Odyssey needed new piston rings which was going to cost $3250. Long story short, I got Honda corporate involved and the dealer circled back a few days later and told me that Honda would cover 50% of the repair but only on piston 1-3, not 4-6, at ~$1000. When I asked about $3250 vs 50% vs ~$1000 they indicated that they had originally recommended getting all the piston rings replaced but Honda would only cover pistons 1-3 since they are the source of the issue. The dealer then indicated that he's never seen any issues with piston 4-6. His theory is that due to the econ function in the design of the motor pistons 4-6 don't work as hard or as often, and therefore aren't as susceptible to failure as 1-3. That said, no one has explained to me the root cause of why my car is having these issues and I have no way of knowing if he's telling the truth about piston's 4-6 never having these issues. For background purposes, the car has been well maintained, regular oil changes, and all services done on schedule. It has 121,000 miles

Anyone have direct experience with these issues?

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,343 Posts
Yup - it's extremely well understood around here. VCM2 is killing your engine.

The reason why they want to only replace the rings in cylinders 1-3 is because VCM2 only acts on cylinders 1-4; cylinders 5 and 6 are unaffected. Sometimes cylinder 4 is in good enough condition that it can be left alone. There is a good explanation of what is going on at this link:

·
Registered
14,592 Posts
I think some of the newer models only shut down 3 cylinders. I know that is the case with the Acura RDX 2016 refresh. I thought the 2014 & newer Odys did as well. In any case, these 2014 vans starting to have VCM issues might make some of the later model owners who are sitting on the fence about disabling more actively consider a muzzler device.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,343 Posts
I think some of the newer models only shut down 3 cylinders. I know that is the case with the Acura RDX 2016 refresh. I thought the 2014 & newer Odys did as well. In any case, these 2014 vans starting to have VCM issues might make some of the later model owners who are sitting on the fence about disabling more actively consider a muzzler device.
The Odyssey didn't get the newest VCM3 (which runs in either 3 or 6-cylinder mode) until the 2018 model year.

The J35Y6 engine used in the gen 5 Odyssey was first used in the 2015 Acura TLX and later spread to the Ridgeline and Pilot as those models were updated in 2016 and 2017 respectively. But the Odyssey soldiered on with the same J35Z8 throughout the lifespan of the entire fourth generation (2011-2017) with only minor tweaks (like the piston rings in 2014 —allegedly) along the way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup - it's extremely well understood around here. VCM2 is killing your engine.

The reason why they want to only replace the rings in cylinders 1-3 is because VCM2 only acts on cylinders 1-4; cylinders 5 and 6 are unaffected. Sometimes cylinder 4 is in good enough condition that it can be left alone. There is a good explanation of what is going on at this link:

Thank you, this is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Forget about the repair, especially if you have to pay some from your pocket, and just disable VCM.
After the TSB repair, the same problem will come back because of VCM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts