Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi My 2014 Odyssey push button start won't start! It won't turn over but all lights and radio work fine in aux. It was left in aux for 5 mins and then when I went to start it...nothing. There is a static sound when I push button and a beep/chime when the door is open ( never makes this noise, lights are off) Brake pedal won't depress.
I had this problem once before and disconnected the battery and it started no problem. I don't want to have to do this as the dealership will charge to reprogram the system.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Sounds like a dead battery. Get the charging system checked before replacing the battery to make sure there isn’t a problem elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The batter is good. Doors won't lock either but radio lights everything works. green key flashing on dash and orange key with! on it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ha just don’t go to a dealer.. look around for a shop that specializes in Honda’s.
The battery most likely is dead.. just because the lights are on doesn’t mean that it has enough charge/power to even turn it over. I doubt that the break pedal being stiff has anything to do with that..as the engine been off and you probably tried to start it several times and pressed the pedal at least twice you pumped the break fluid in the system, which is a normal being.. don’t worry about the break pedal.
You need to ask somebody to start it for you with jumping cables.. once the cables are on just give it good 5-6 minutes before trying to press the button.
You might not need a new battery but most likely you do. You can charge it using a charging system that hooked up to the battery and to the 110v electric regular house power plug.
good luck

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
378 Posts
Lots of odd stuff happens when batteries go bad. If you can DIY, take it to a auto parts store to have it load tested. You can also charge it and see if that fixes it.

-Charlie

·
Registered
13,796 Posts
The batter is good. Doors won't lock either but radio lights everything works. green key flashing on dash and orange key with! on it?
This sounds like an issue with the key fob. The flashing of the green key means it is not recognizing a key. It's possible the battery in the key is just dead. Or perhaps she left the van in accessory and walked away. These vehicles with proximity keys go nuts when you walk away with them running or leaving them in the ACC position (virtual position)

It could be as simple as pressing the start button and taking it out of ACC and then starting normally, with one's foot on the brake.

Other things that could be related:
The brake switch isn't working
The shift lever is not in park correctly.

But then again, this poster may never come back and follow up. But I wanted to bring these issues up, for cases where it isn't just a dead or weak battery.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Any spark sound sounds like a poor battery connection or ground. Verify the battery cables are clean and tight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
This sounds like an issue with the key fob. The flashing of the green key means it is not recognizing a key. It's possible the battery in the key is just dead. Or perhaps she left the van in accessory and walked away. These vehicles with proximity keys go nuts when you walk away with them running or leaving them in the ACC position (virtual position)

It could be as simple as pressing the start button and taking it out of ACC and then starting normally, with one's foot on the brake.

Other things that could be related:
The brake switch isn't working
The shift lever is not in park correctly.

But then again, this poster may never come back and follow up. But I wanted to bring these issues up, for cases where it isn't just a dead or weak battery.
Thanks, I am having very same issue on my 2014 odyssey since last two days. The weather was very cold (in negative) and i put the car in Accessory more and walked away. When i came back it said keyless entry warning and did not start. The Break pedal was stiff and i tried to turn off and start again. It did not start.
My parking lot is uphill, so while in Accessory mode i tried to move the shift lever to neutral (I should not have moved but i was dump) and car starting moving back and then i put in parking again.

Now i see Check Break system, Check ABS, Check VSA system lights going on and does not start the car..

I will try to change the battery of my car key and try again. Any other suggestion to fix or reset the key fob?

Update:- I tried after changing the battery in the remote and still not able to start. One thing i can notice additionally is the navigation system and Audio/DVD system tries to start and shuts down in loop with a dump sound in speaker (i guess) while it shuts down.

·
Registered
13,796 Posts
I think what one needs to do is press the start button, without pressing the brake pedal in order to shut the ACC mode off. Then try starting normally.
Now how to clear everything up now, I have no idea

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
378 Posts
The weather was very cold (in negative) and i put the car in Accessory more and walked away. When i came back it said keyless entry warning and did not start. The Break pedal was stiff and i tried to turn off and start again. It did not start.
Sounds like car battery... Have it tested and/or replaced. Put a charger on it if you can to see if that brings it back to life temporarily too.

-Charlie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like car battery... Have it tested and/or replaced. Put a charger on it if you can to see if that brings it back to life temporarily too.

-Charlie
Thank you. Yes, it was the battery. I had charged the battery for about 7 hours. And then i was able to start the car.
Thank you everyone for contributing and helping this forum.

·
Registered
13,796 Posts
Thank you for reporting back. I would all like to inform you that if that battery is original, it should be replaced.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
378 Posts
Thank you for reporting back. I would all like to inform you that if that battery is original, it should be replaced.
It might even be the second battery. If it is older than 3 years, assume it needs replacement (though, get it checked to verify).

-Charlie

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought mine as a used car and since last 3 years, I did not change the battery. I am not sure if that is a original battery or it was changed before I bought the car.
The bad thing I did was, I was using the van for very short distance (less than 5 miles per day) for last one year and continued this winter. So the battery would not have charged.

Anyways, I am planning to change the battery next week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts