Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2014 EXL-Nav that I recently purchased used in August, has "heated seats". As most people are aware, this means the driver's side base and back have an electric element to warm your buns and relax your back muscles on long trips. What surprised me is that the passenger side had only the base.:huh: Additionally, they don't get very hot. My previous road trip vehicle was an '09 Dodge Journey SXT with heated cloth seats. These seats easily warmed up to 102-103F and was great for penetrating your clothes layer enough to apply the heat necessary to loosen your back muscles like a standard home heating pad.

I was wondering if anyone has come across an OEM heat element for the back of the passenger seat. The one electrical schematic that I was able to locate displayed that there was only a 4 pin connector on the passenger seat base. Does that mean if I were able to obtain a heat element, that I would also have to change the wiring harness?

I have seen aftermarket kits with their own switches and heat dials that can be installed in any vehicle, especially if there is not already a seat heater system already in the vehicle. I was hoping maybe the Touring or Touring Elite's might have a different setup I could install in my Ody.

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
It looks to me like you could use a drivers side seat heater assembly in the passenger side seat. The two yellow power wires just tie together and the added seat back heater needs its own ground (another yellow wire...not sure why they do that.) You'd have to modify the connector at the passenger side seat heater.

Disclaimer: I'm sure that would work but I have no idea what kind of load that would put on the rest of the system, including the fuse and the seat heater relay. It's possible it could damage the seat heater control unit but I doubt it. I think it would just blow the 15A fuse if it was too much current.

Diagram:

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=1068873

·
Registered
303 Posts
I seem to remember hearing that the lack of an upper heater had to do with the occupant sensor for the airbag system (i.e., not being activated if there is a child in the front seat).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
I hadn't heard that but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I seem to remember hearing that the lack of an upper heater had to do with the occupant sensor for the airbag system (i.e., not being activated if there is a child in the front seat).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I heard that was their "excuse" but I know of plenty of cars with back & seat heaters that have occupancy sensors.
I'm assuming it was either a straight cost cutting move or a cost cutting move since designing the sensor with both heaters would cost more.

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
My guess is the occupancy switch would still work but you're messing with the "safety features" and of course they don't want you doing that. If we knew the resistance of all the seat heaters you could use Ohm's law to figure out the current draw and would be able to determine whether the wiring and fuse could handle an additional heater.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts