Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago we purchased a 2014 Odyssey Touring Elite. It has about 31,000 miles.

The first time we drove it at night we noticed that none of the backlighting for the climate control and center multi-function display buttons worked. The backlighting for the instrument panel with the tachometer, speedometer, etc. works just fine. Also, the lighting around the volume knob on the top-left corner of the center display works fine too. The problem is that you cannot see any of the climate buttons, seat heater buttons, or Nav/Audio/Info buttons at night.

The GPS and center multi-function display lighting works fine and change brightness according to whether or not the headlights are on.

I have Googled and searched for answers for this, but have found nothing.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

·
Registered
105 Posts
i just checked it this morning and I can confirm that climate control light should be "on"

it should be covered under 36K bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A few weeks ago we purchased a 2014 Odyssey Touring Elite. It has about 31,000 miles.

The first time we drove it at night we noticed that none of the backlighting for the climate control and center multi-function display buttons worked. The backlighting for the instrument panel with the tachometer, speedometer, etc. works just fine. Also, the lighting around the volume knob on the top-left corner of the center display works fine too. The problem is that you cannot see any of the climate buttons, seat heater buttons, or Nav/Audio/Info buttons at night.

The GPS and center multi-function display lighting works fine and change brightness according to whether or not the headlights are on.

I have Googled and searched for answers for this, but have found nothing.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks!
Were you able to find out what was wrong? I am having the same problem in my 2014 TE.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Were you able to find out what was wrong? I am having the same problem in my 2014 TE.
Just to confirm:

• Does the brightness of the gauge cluster, upper screen and lower screen change brightness when the headlights are turned on and off?
  • Does the dimmer control (bottom right of gauge cluster, rotate it) adjust the brightness of anything on the dash when the parking/headlights are one?
  • Can you give us a rundown of what is backlit and not at night? (things like the rear climate control panel, drivers door controls, buttons to the left of the wheel, steering wheel controls, climate controls, upper screen controls, etc.)
-Charlie

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just to confirm:

• Does the brightness of the gauge cluster, upper screen and lower screen change brightness when the headlights are turned on and off?
  • Does the dimmer control (bottom right of gauge cluster, rotate it) adjust the brightness of anything on the dash when the parking/headlights are one?
  • Can you give us a rundown of what is backlit and not at night? (things like the rear climate control panel, drivers door controls, buttons to the left of the wheel, steering wheel controls, climate controls, upper screen controls, etc.)
-Charlie
Everything is normal with the lighting except the climate controls backlights and all the radio backlights. It seems to just be the backlights at night when the headlights are on. If I push the seat heater button the light for high or low lights up same with dvd eject button. The speedometer and the those gauges work fine. I will take a picture and post what it looks like in just a little bit when it is dark outside

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yea we checked the fuses and they are all good. Thanks for all the help you guys are giving me. It is really driving me nuts since I don’t know what is going on.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Does the rear HVAC controls (on ceiling in second row) backlighting work?
Does anything change if you turn the brightness up and down using the knob on the gauge cluster?
Basically every button and interface in the vehicle should be backlit at night - are there any others that are not working?

I need a full run-down of what is backlit and what is not to find the problem using the wiring diagrams. No information = no answers.

I have a theory, but I need more information to see if it is likely.

-Charlie

·
Registered
9 Posts
The rear hvac buttons also do not light up at night. The display does just like in the front but not the buttons. Those are the only areas that done have any backlights. None of the radio buttons below the screen light up, neither do the hvac buttons at night. Thank you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also nothing changes when I turn the brightness up or down besides the temperature display in the front and in the back in the areas that are having the backlight problem.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Ok, that helps confirm my suspicions. There are two 'types' of backlighting in the Odyssey, one for the LED-based backlighting and one for the incandescent-based backlighting. They each have their own PWM controller, integrated into the gauge cluster. It sounds like the "LED" backlighting circuit has failed. Sadly, it is not a separately replaceable part (from Honda, at least).

If you have a multimeter and the ability to troubleshoot electrical problems, I can walk you through some steps to make 100% sure that's the issue. If it is, it won't be a cheap fix unless you have a friend who likes repairing electronics... It will require a new gauge cluster and programming it to match your mileage and you are out of the bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Here's a selection of items that should still be backlit ("bulb" based):
  • Hazard switch
  • VSA switch
  • Power tailgate switch (left of steering wheel)
  • Power tailgate / Parking/Backup warning switch (left of steering wheel)
  • Cool Box switch
  • All steering wheel controls
  • AT gear position indicator
Here's a selection of items that should be not lit anymore (led based):
  • Power sliding door switches (on b-pillars)
  • Lane Departure warning switch
  • Homelink illumination
  • Rear AC controls
  • Rear screen controller
  • HVAC/Climate Controls
  • RES aux jacks (3rd row)
I missed/skipped some stuff, but that should be the most of it...

-Charlie

·
Registered
317 Posts
The best way is probably to get access to the back of the gauge cluster, using the below instructions:

Don't remove it all the way, you need access to the wires on the back to probe with a multimeter.

Use this pinout as a reference for the wires you will be testing:

Pins 15, 16, 31 and 32 are the wires of interest.

• With the car off, make sure that both pin 31 and 32 have very low resistance to ground (clean metal on the car, often the dash bar is easy to get to)
  • Pin 16 is for the 'bulb' illumination wire. It is a 'variable ground'. All of the illumination in the vehicle gets +12V when the parking lights are on. The Blue wire here should vary between ~0V (full brightness) and ~+12V (fully dim) as you turn the dimmer knob. Check voltage there using auto-ranging or the 20V range on your multimeter. You should be able to 'back probe' the wires if you have sharp/thin multimeter probes with the ground probe on a good ground.
  • Pin 15 is the 'LED' illumination wire. It should act just like Pin 16, but probably won't... It is likely to be stuck at ~+12V for all settings of the dimmer knob on the cluster.
What likely has happened is that the MOSFET that drives the LED dimmer circuit has burned up...

-Charlie

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes it is the electrical short that is described above but we have not had it fixed. I imagine it will be expensive so we have been putting it off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts