Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,959 Posts
VCM is the wildcard. If it doesn't show any immediate symptoms during a test drive like misfiring then as long as you disable VCM after purchase you should be fine but if it misfires then I would consider walking away as even though disabling VCM can resolve the issue, who knows how long it's been misfiring for and what other damage that could have caused.

Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

·
Registered
110 Posts
I know the used car price has been exploded with chip shortage, also high inflation on top makes perfect way to jack up their prices...
but $15k for near 8~9yr old nearing 200k miles seems too expensive.

From what I read, chip shortage situation is getting better and inflation rate will go down a little so I would wait just little longer if you aren't in rush to getting a car.
If you are in rush, do shop around more for better pricing.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,959 Posts
From what I read, chip shortage situation is getting better and inflation rate will go down a little so I would wait just little longer if you aren't in rush to getting a car.
Good thought, but it feels like people have been saying this for 6-8 months now with no actual results. At this point I'll believe it when I see it.

Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,837 Posts
From what I read, chip shortage situation is getting better and inflation rate will go down a little
The rate may go down, but inflation has already happened... so things will still be tough out there. And if deflation hits, it will also cause stress for people's finances (as any economic change/disruption is).

There is some inventory bloat in certain sectors, but chip shortages are still real in my industry...

If you want/need a van, find the best of what is available that you can afford. Since prices are all over the map, it'll be hard for us longer-term owners to tell you about what prices are these days.

-Charlie

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Good thought, but it feels like people have been saying this for 6-8 months now with no actual results. At this point I'll believe it when I see it.
opportunists...

noticing the dealers that were pushing used cars at 5-8 grand over sticker having more and more inventory these days.

hang on a bit, there is going to be inventory clearances before long.

stop electing central planner morons, and the current problems will soon vanish.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,863 Posts
Used vehicle prices are ridiculous right now. My van which I bought brand new 7 years ago for 30 grand I could probably sell right now for something in the low to mid 20s. That's an average depreciation rate of about 5% annually. For a Honda Odyssey? C'mon now... 🙄

It makes virtually any repair or maintenance costs to keep the thing running well reasonable. Even paying shop rates. Replacing our van with something similar to it is cost-prohibitive.

·
Registered
2015 Touring Elite
34 Posts
Looks like it was well maintained according to the Carfax. What do you guys think?
In this market, you want to cut out the middle man.
your best option is to find out where the older folks live and school is ending which means graduations all over the place. There are grandparents looking for a smaller vehicle as the grandkids are moving on to college or whatnot... so check local papers before your dealer does. Trust me they do!!
Secondly... The Jewish are the number one buyers of all things Odyssey. Find your local Jewish community and drive around you are bound to find an odyssey for sale.
best of luck with your search. That is my answer keep searching. 15,000 cash gives you plenty of options when you wave it around... As a banker's check. not actual money;) happy hunting!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
your best option is to find out where the older folks live and school is ending which means graduations all over the place. There are grandparents looking for a smaller vehicle as the grandkids are moving on to college or whatnot... so check local papers before your dealer does. Trust me they do!!
Secondly... The Jewish are the number one buyers of all things Odyssey. Find your local Jewish community and drive around you are bound to find an odyssey for sale.
best of luck with your search. That is my answer keep searching. 15,000 cash gives you plenty of options when you wave it around... As a banker's check. not actual money;) happy hunting!!
I thought Indians (South Asian) are the number 1 buyers of Odysseys, so much that it is called Oh Desi (Desi means Indian). Lol.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,959 Posts
I thought Indians (South Asian) are the number 1 buyers of Odysseys, so much that it is called Oh Desi (Desi means Indian). Lol.

As a desi, I don't know if we're number one, but certainly not far off.

·
Registered
2015 Touring Elite
34 Posts

Well we have another option Oh Desi and Ody Evay (Oy Vey) spelled wrong for Maximum carnage laughter.:ROFLMAO: oh Desi lol honda has some explaining to do.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,837 Posts
Find your local Jewish community and drive around you are bound to find an odyssey for sale.
The only long term friend I have with an Odyssey is Jewish. Never made that connection before! (he had 2nd gen and a 3rd gen before his current 5th gen!)

-Charlie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
VCM is the wildcard. If it doesn't show any immediate symptoms during a test drive like misfiring then as long as you disable VCM after purchase you should be fine but if it misfires then I would consider walking away as even though disabling VCM can resolve the issue, who knows how long it's been misfiring for and what other damage that could have caused.
Dumb question but how can I tell if it is misfiring?

I live in a small town in South Carolina and don't have a local newspaper, unfortunately, or an online classifieds section other than craigslist in Charlotte.

If anyone knows of any vans in NC/SC/GA, please let me know!
Thank you! I decided to not get the van in the original post and will continue looking.

Haha, I am Indian as well and any Honda/Toyota is definitely up on our list.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,959 Posts
Dumb question but how can I tell if it is misfiring?
Flashing check engine light and it will be down on power since misfiring means one or more cylinders are not firing and therefore not contributing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks like it was well maintained according to the Carfax. What do you guys think?
I have a 2011 Touring that just hit 100k. I have had no problems with it at all. We change oil every 3500 miles and do the 25k, 50k, 75k and 100k service which I’m sure contributes to it working great! I have kept ALL paperwork for service at dealership and would not sell mine for less than 20k. So to answer your question- if they can prove it has been maintained well I think it is a good deal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts