Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First-time minivan & Honda owner. We got our new '14 Odyssey last month.

Symptoms:
- Eye strain when looking through windshield. Specifically my left eye (oddly, my right eye is largely unaffected).
- Eyes are "relieved" when looking through side windows (no more strain).
- Eyes are fine when looking thru windshield when I close one eye --- problem is related to binocular vision?.

Diagnosis:
- Distortion in glass: Honda replaced windshield once under warranty with OEM Pilkington glass. Problem persists. Our old car had some serious distortion in the after-market glass (when I took a good look recently - I NEVER noticed before/never had problems). I also notice the same level of distortion in other '14 Odysseys in the showrooms, so if anything, the distortion is considered "normal" or within tolerances.
- Film/laminate in glass: Windshields contain PVB film between 2 sheets of glass, BUT does Honda/Pilkington add an extra treatment/film on their glass that is sensitive to my eyes? (Anti-glare, rain repellent, etc?)
- Angle of glass: I've driven Civics with the same angle of glass without any problems (however, Civics are not equipped with Pilkington glass. Does this make a difference?).
- Fishbowl effect: I've driven other vans/SUVs with curved/large glass and never had a problem.
- Driving conditions: The problem persists in day/night, highway/city, with/without sunglasses. Condition makes no difference.
- Glare from dashboard: I placed a black felt across dash to eliminate all glare/reflection. Problem persists.
- Problem with my eyes: I visited an eye doctor last week, who said my eyes were fine.

As you can see, I'm taking this problem very seriously, and have explored all possibilities. I noticed old posts related to this problem in '11 Odysseys, but seems there haven't been any posts for the '14 Odysseys.

Also, it seems to be just me. My wife, dad, friends... No one else experiences this problem. Also, I didn't notice it during the test drive.

My last recourse: Install an after-market glass, which would void the windshield warranty with Honda, and potentially have an inferior/cheaper type of glass installed.

I have NEVER noticed this before in my history of driving. I've driven many vehicles and I never even knew that this problem existed before taking possession of our new Odyssey. Help!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have noticed distortion when looking through windows/windshields of other cars while driving but never my own. I also have a 2014 and have not noticed this but will really pay attention on my drive honme tonight and report back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have the acoustic windshield, Dave? I wonder if that makes any difference? Mine is the regular (non-acoustic) kind.

To be honest, the distortion doesn't seem too severe. It's a long stretched wave right across the windshield, a few inches high and right at my field of vision height. But it's not wild, certainly not as wild as my Sentra windshield which I've driven with absolutely no problems. This is why I question whether there's another symptom (or perhaps a combination of symptoms).

I'm visiting the local automobile consumer-protection association next week for their opinions, and a glass-replacement shop tomorrow for their opinions as well. The dealer seems to have done all it's willing to do about the situation (they already replaced it, but won't replace it again because they don't notice the problem).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Mike,

Have you solved your problem? I'm having the same issue with my new 2016 odyssey. Didn't see much distortion in the windowshield, but my eyes feel strained and felt dizzy after driving for couple minutes. Took the car to the dealer and they say that they didn't find anything unusual.
I know this post is old, but hopefully you can still be reached. Any input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi.

I am noticing the same with my 2016 Odyssey. Never an issue with my 2008. We just bought it a few weeks ago. What was the issue? Were you able to fix it? Thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hmm, noticing same with my new Nissan Sentra 2017... Tried 3 same cars before buying it - no issues, but have that eye strain feeling since I took the car out of the dealership... Spoke to the sales rep, it might be the chemical they are treating the car before delivery, they will do a complete detailing, so hopefully will be resolve. Any of you guys had a luck with it ? Thanks !

·
Registered
46 Posts
Weird that the OEM glass for the 11-17 Odyssey is made by Pilkington. All my Hondas use AP-Tech (05 TL, 04 Pilot, 94 Civic, 89 CRX). If you are planning on replacing the windshield again, give AP-Tech aftermarket glass a try instead.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm glad somebody brought this up. I thought it was my imagination. I noticed a weird waviness or rippling effect in a 13 we test drove. It was only in one small area of the windshield right in front of the driver and fairly low. It was like a mix between a fun house mirror and heat haze. Maybe a weird reflection off the top off the dash?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Old thread, but... Have you tried raising or lowering the seat by a pretty good amount? Your head may be in a "sweet spot" for the distortion, so consider trying to get used to sitting a lot higher or lower.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have this same problem. I just bought a used 2014 GMC 1500 Sierra. I noticed the distortion in the windshield on the test drive but thought it was just me. I ended up buying the truck and the four short trips I took with it since buying it (less than 30 miles) REALLY stressed my eyes. It was the same effect as not being able to focus both eyes on one spot. I could feel my eyes constantly readjusting, trying so hard to focus but they just couldn't. It was actually painful. Lke the other guy, when I look out the side window, my eyes relax and feel great. After three days I told the dealership about the problem. They agreed to have a new? windshield installed. Not really sure if it was new. I went to pick it up this past Tuesday. The salesman I bought it from had me sit in it and basically, in so many words, said if this windshield does not look right, it's you, not us or the windshield, in a joking manner. He said the Safelite guy said, "If this guy still sees the problem, he needs his eyes checked." I got in, I took a long look and it actually looked great. I actually felt this was done and fixed and solved. I drove it 40 miles home and I don't know if it was my brain messing with me, or "remembering" that this truck has caused me eye strain, but I still got a small amount of strain. I've never experienced it before with any car. So to say my eyes have gone bad right at that particular day of test driving the truck is just too much of a coincidence. The bottom left side of the new windshield I felt still had that same problem, but luckily it's not in my line of sight. I'm gonna give it a few more trips to make a decision on if this new windshield is still bad. I'm 99.9% sure the dealership will not give me another windshield. So the next one will be on my dime. But I'm not happy that I'm experiencing this with such a great truck. A problem I never assumed would happen. My son also instantly noticed the problem when I had him drive it. This was before the windshield was replaced. My wife didn't see it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
SteveKern
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing