Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2015 CPO Elite about two years ago from a Honda dealer outside NYC. It had only 22k on it in 2018. I'm in Maryland, but was hard pressed to find a used car with what we wanted and needed in short order so made the drive. Car was checked out by an indy and I drove it home and it did fine, returning 25mpg on trip computer and close by my calcs.

Almost immediately I had to be overseas for a bit. When I returned, I began to notice just abysmal gas mileage around town. Grew up around a 2000 and a 2005. I had an older 2003. So I had some idea of what I'd see around town--something in the mid teens. Early on, I was finding 10-12mpg in town, sometimes lower. On the highway, I'd get back into the mid-20s. As it was under CPO warranty I had local dealer look and look and they found nothing out of spec. Huh? I have a life and keep driving and getting oil changes -- and following this forum. But sometimes sitting with A/C we'd return something below 10mpg and get about 240 miles out of a tank.

I just can't accept those numbers. Something must be up. Before we sold our 2003 with over 200k on it, I was getting 15-16mpg in town and low 20's on the highway.

I do not have a VCM Tuner. I know that's near first response here. But isn't the tuner cutting ECO mode out at speed and more of a highway speed affect? Highway we are doing pretty great, never 30mpg, but upper 20s on the regular.

What gives? What am I missing or should check? We have nearly new tires, regular oil changes, no noises, clean reports from the dealer on this issue 3 times. Is it really as simple as adding the VCM Tuner. I do have about 44k on it now. Should I change plugs and add the tuner? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,307 Posts
The VCM Tuner or any other VCM disabling device shouldn't have that big of an impact on fuel economy. In most cases, it actually lowers the fuel economy.

That's very odd that you're getting upper 20s on the highway... and only 10mpg in the city? These vans are quite gas hogs around the city, but 10mpg does seem low. I think I get around 14-15mpg around town, although I'm not sure since I've never gone a full tank without going on the highway. But, I could see 10mpg happening, if the AC is on high, lots of stop and go, idling, accelerated hard, going up hills?

The fact that you're getting upper 20s on the highway leads me to believe that nothing's wrong. City miles are a crapshoot... when you're sitting still at a stoplight, you're getting exactly 0 mpg. So there's a lot of variables that go into city mpg.

Only think I can think of is, change the ATF? You didn't mention any shifting problems, though, so I doubt that's your problem.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My area recently had a hurricane (Laura) electricity was out for 5 days. I used the van to cool down at least a couple times a day and for a couple hours a night while watching WiFi outside the closed gym.

Used a whole tank (very nearly) of gas idling in 5 days. just food for thought.

·
Registered
14,588 Posts
Tire pressures. Bump them up to 38 pounds. Cold. Cold is very important. Check them especially after having had service. Dealers and others will check and adjust tire pressures when the van is warmed up. You cannot accurately check tire pressures on warm or hot tires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts