Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we JUST drove home form the dealership in our 2015 Ody and after it got dark, I noticed NO buttons on the climate control or below the lower screen were lit. Things like the push button start, cd eject button, hazard light button were lit, but all the other buttons weren’t lit at all. So far I’ve only found one thread that talks about this and it doesn’t have any really solutions. I don’t know if this is an issue of it the lights are somehow turned off somewhere. I’ve poked around but I can’t find a setting for them anywhere. Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
317 Posts
It is a little worrying that this seems to be happening more and more. Since you saw some other threads, you probably also saw my reply(ies) - there are two separate illumination signals/wires that are for two different types of backlighting - incandescent and LED. It sounds like your LED backlight has been lost. This is all controlled from the gauge cluster...

Check other illuminated things in the van - switches to the left of the steering wheel (all should be illuminated), rear HVAC controls, etc A few of those will also be out...

-Charlie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE: Called the dealership and sales person told me they would take care of it. Tech emailed back saying that neither the climate control buttons or the audio buttons are illuminated. Is that right???

·
Registered
317 Posts
LOL. Every button in the van should be illuminated other than the dome light switch in the map light console.

Only with lights on though, and they dim with the control on the cluster.

-Charlie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE AGAIN: Dealer still insisted that these buttons were NEVER backlit, but I had to point out all the references to it in the service manual. So I'll be dropping it off tomorrow for them to look over.

That being said, I did some more troubleshooting tonight. I took the "illuminated buttons" schematic from the service manual and looked at every single button on the schematic. Come to find out, EVERY SINGLE BUTTON on the "ILLUMI- (LED)" circuit was either dim or almost completely out. Likewise, every button on the "ILLUMI- (BULB)" circuit was at full brightness. It's starting to look like it could be the control circuit in the gauge control module.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Just a silly question, did you cycle the button under the "back" button on the control panel (which has a picture of the sun and moon) at all to see what that does? It's to the left of the large round main knob. There are 3 settings built into that, one of which blacks out the lights fully...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Dealer still insisted that these buttons were NEVER backlit, but I had to point out all the references to it in the service manual. So I'll be dropping it off tomorrow for them to look over.
They'll have other 4th gen vans on the used section of the lot. Just walk over there and show them...

-Charlie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They'll have other 4th gen vans on the used section of the lot. Just walk over there and show them...

-Charlie
Lol! They are still trying to suggest that the blue led on the ceiling is what lights the buttons. But its so dim that I didn't even notice it, and I was sitting in the backseat in the dark looking for lights for an hour last night!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a silly question, did you cycle the button under the "back" button on the control panel (which has a picture of the sun and moon) at all to see what that does? It's to the left of the large round main knob. There are 3 settings built into that, one of which blacks out the lights fully...
View attachment 153734
Yep! Tried that too. The telltale sign for me is that all the "bulb" lights are function properly, including being able to dim them and whenever I hit that button you mentioned. There are no discernable differences in the "LED" lights when I try to dim/brighten them. I took all my notes and schematics and handed them to the service guys. I know they don't really care about this kinda of stuff, so I'm doing my best to make it as easy as possible on them. I even gave them a printout of the "input tests" for the gauge control module that details how to test if that is what's causing the issue. Just take pin 15 to ground and see if it lights up! lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts