Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, I just need to vent because i feel like I got robbed.

Richmond VA west broad Honda

Was having a lot of juddering and downshifting issues with the transmission especially at low speeds. They charged me $650 to triple flush the ATF and update the transmission software via the technical service bulletin. Super painful because I felt like I had no choice since I can only get it done at the dealership.

I have 82,000 miles so it’s out of warranty. I’ve been meaning to do this for two years so if I had done it when I originally knew about it I may have gotten it free. Live and learn.
They also want $1000 to do the TSB for the front suspension squeaking.

Replacing the bump stop - TSB 16-050 - Squeak From the Front Suspension
I can probably get my normal mechanic to do it much cheaper.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
welcome to the group...

ouch...that was a premium...
On the plus side the AT/PCM software is updated now, and you can DIY your own annual drain and fills for <30 bux, and keep that thing shifting smooth from now on.

stealerships should NOT be your first stop for issues, this forum, then a good indie shop in your area.
esp for a near 7 year old van.

the front squeaks are well documented on this forum, get familiar with the advance search feature, and dont be afraid to break each issue into a separate post when stuck.

also, you might want to read up on VCM muzzling before that one bites you in the arse.

invest in a good honda specific scanner, like a foxwell or autel or bluedriver, it will pay for itself after a single issue.

·
Registered
14,745 Posts
What was your trans fluid change history? You said another thread that you had just done a single drain & fill? Any fluid changes before that?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Both of those things easy to do it yourself for anybody. Little bit of Honda grease for the squeaky struts. Easy to change transmission fluid with right spout. Ya search on here how to do it…

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What was your trans fluid change history? You said another thread that you had just done a single drain & fill? Any fluid changes before that?
That is correct, I hadn't done any transmission fluid changes prior to that. I had been searching for a maintenance schedule for this thing and couldn't find anything other than "just use the maintenance minder system." Well I kept waiting and the maintenance minder never popped up a single thing other than oil changes. I was at 75k miles wondering OKAY ive never had a car that didn't need SOMETHING by now, the transmission had been jerky so I had the guy change it for me. it did give me a mild improvement but it didn't last.

My "go to" local mechanic only charged me like $60 for the transmission fluid change which I thought was reasonable. I still wish there was a regular maintenance schedule instead of trusting the car to tell me. I'm glad I found this forum.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both of those things easy to do it yourself for anybody. Little bit of Honda grease for the squeaky struts. Easy to change transmission fluid with right spout. Ya search on here how to do it…
Yes, I have a pretty good history of DIY stuff on my cars, especially my first one. I am not above doing these things myself, I just work a lot so I usually let the professionals handle most of it.

My real issue this time was that they straight up refused to perform the Tranny software update without the triple flush. So I felt like I was at their mercy with regards to the software update and the price.

The struts have been greased a few times and they did try that again yesterday at the shop, still couldn't stop the squeak. they wanted $1000 or so to replace two $8 bump stops in the struts (the TSB). I told them to get lost. I could replace both entire struts at my mechanic for that.

Appreciate the response

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
welcome to the group...

ouch...that was a premium...
On the plus side the AT/PCM software is updated now, and you can DIY your own annual drain and fills for <30 bux, and keep that thing shifting smooth from now on.

stealerships should NOT be your first stop for issues, this forum, then a good indie shop in your area.
esp for a near 7 year old van.

the front squeaks are well documented on this forum, get familiar with the advance search feature, and dont be afraid to break each issue into a separate post when stuck.

also, you might want to read up on VCM muzzling before that one bites you in the arse.

invest in a good honda specific scanner, like a foxwell or autel or bluedriver, it will pay for itself after a single issue.

Thanks for the response.

Yes, now that I know, I will be doing my own annual tranny flushes. You think the recommended fluid is the best or does some sort of upgraded transmission fluid exist?

I have read a lot of the VCM muzzling and I am ready to do it...Seems easy enough to disable if I decide it's not for me. When you say before it bites me in the ass, are you saying I SHOULD do install it sooner than later or are you saying I shouldn't?

I have a regular ODB II scanner but didn't realize they made Honda specific ones, thanks for that. Glad I found this forum!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thanks for the response.

Yes, now that I know, I will be doing my own annual tranny flushes. You think the recommended fluid is the best or does some sort of upgraded transmission fluid exist?

I have read a lot of the VCM muzzling and I am ready to do it...Seems easy enough to disable if I decide it's not for me. When you say before it bites me in the ass, are you saying I SHOULD do install it sooner than later or are you saying I shouldn't?

I have a regular ODB II scanner but didn't realize they made Honda specific ones, thanks for that. Glad I found this forum!
I have been driving for two weeks with the vcm disabled - - - - i love it.
No noticeable drop in mpg's - just a smoother - faster - better engine.
I cant believe the honda engineers thought vcm was acceptable its awful in every way. A v6 is a v6 leave it alone!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been driving for two weeks with the vcm disabled - - - - i love it.
No noticeable drop in mpg's - just a smoother - faster - better engine.
I cant believe the honda engineers thought vcm was acceptable its awful in every way. A v6 is a v6 leave it alone!!!
I just installed it.. piece of cake and test drive was flawless.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,289 Posts
Well I kept waiting and the maintenance minder never popped up a single thing other than oil changes.
Oh, it definitely did tell you. That's what the extra numbers are after the "A" and "B" service. It should have told you to do 2 trans fluid changes (generally every 30k miles). Most on here recommend trans fluid changes every other oil change (every 10k-15k miles). The OEM fluid or Valvoline Maxlife are the to 'inexpensive' options and there is an Amsoil fluid that is an upgrade (most report better shifts and longer lasting performance between changes with that).

-Charlie

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe you misunderstand me. There is no A B or any numbers. Nothing has ever popped up regarding maintenance. The only thing that shows up is oil life%

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, it definitely did tell you. That's what the extra numbers are after the "A" and "B" service. It should have told you to do 2 trans fluid changes (generally every 30k miles). Most on here recommend trans fluid changes every other oil change (every 10k-15k miles). The OEM fluid or Valvoline Maxlife are the to 'inexpensive' options and there is an Amsoil fluid that is an upgrade (most report better shifts and longer lasting performance between changes with that).

-Charlie

I was able to see a code using the procedure in this link but I've still never seen any A, B or number codes otherwise pop up.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,289 Posts
Maybe you misunderstand me. There is no A B or any numbers. Nothing has ever popped up regarding maintenance. The only thing that shows up is oil life%
If you never get the oil life % down below 15% (or is it 10%?) it will never show any codes. If you are going to use the Maintenance Minder, you actually have to follow it (wait until service is due to reset it) to get any of the codes.

-Charlie

Reactions: WiiMaster
1 - 13 of 13 Posts