Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have done a bit of searching around forum and have either missed what I am looking for or it’s not out there yet.

I have a 2015 odyssey elite I purchased new. Live in Arizona. Hot hot hot climate here! Not happy with the performance of my AC during the summer. Especially if I need to idle at a red light.

I am going into dealer tomorrow to have AC checked for proper operation / pressures / refrigerant load / etc.

I’m under the assumption everything will come back within acceptable factory parameters.

My complaint is when I am driving, AC gets ice cold. When I need to idle for any period of time (even a short idle at a red light), air coming out vents gets warm enough to make me a little uncomfortable. I could see this just being a design / climate issue. Wanted to reach out to the hive mind and find out what others experiences are living in a hot climate with AC. Secondarily I am trying to find out if anyone has done things like upgrade their cooling fans or install an extra fan on the AC condenser and what their experiences and thoughts around this was.

Regards,
Andrew

·
Registered
42 Posts
Perhaps one of the fans are out. You can check this with it sitting on your driveway with the ac blasting.

Had that issue on mine and it was a fan. As an FYI, if it is the fan, replace both. My second fan went out just a few weeks later.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I took mine in once. Found the front of the condenser was covered with bugs so air was not passing thru. Now every year I remove the plastic cover over the radiator and blow out the bugs with the hose.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
801 Posts
Perhaps one of the fans are out.
This would be my first guess too. (well, after taking a peek through the grill to make sure the radiator isn't full of bugs). Any time the AC compressor is engaged, both fans should be on, either low or high speed.

AC won't work quite as well while stopped/idling - but it should still blow cool air.

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Good advice here, check the condenser, get some gauges on there to see the line pressures on the low and high side.

my kids car had the same issue this past week, warm air out of the vents at idle when it was 95 degrees out, low high side pressure, within spec low side pressure... symptoms pointed to a tired compressor, figured WTH if its gonna blow what can I lose with another 500 grams of gas in the system.

thing blows ice cold now at idle and even colder driving.

if it blows sky high within a year, will put a new compressor and condenser in as originally planned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for replies guys. Since I’m still under hondacare I’m not going to bother looking or doing anything myself quite yet (I’ll check for stuff gumming up the condenser but that’s it).

I’m taking it in tomorrow to dealer to have it checked. Pending everything comes back within spec and condenser is not bugged up... has anyone stuck an extra fan or stronger fan on the condenser? I’ve never been very happy with the performance in middle of summer while idling (even since new). Pretty curious about adding an extra fan and kicking it on while at idle.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Thanks for replies guys. Since I’m still under hondacare I’m not going to bother looking or doing anything myself quite yet (I’ll check for stuff gumming up the condenser but that’s it).

I’m taking it in tomorrow to dealer to have it checked. Pending everything comes back within spec and condenser is not bugged up... has anyone stuck an extra fan or stronger fan on the condenser? I’ve never been very happy with the performance in middle of summer while idling (even since new). Pretty curious about adding an extra fan and kicking it on while at idle.
might be a manual fan relay hack that has the fan on all the time.
your system does not appear to be running at spec,134a should be able to handle arizona climate, the R-1234yf systems in the new models are absolute garbage in comparison.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tinting the windshield not a viable solution for me. AZ freeways kick up rocks all the time. Windshield cracks and gets replaced often. Would need to re-tint each time and that is not sustainable.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi,
The 115 degree highs bothering us to here in Phoenix! Noticed a drop in cooling while idle but it’s still enough to keep me comfortable, and I like it cold. Tolerable if it’s a city drive only to the grocery store.

wondering what color is your van? Ours is white. If your is darker, that seems like it could be enough to make the ac not seem cool enough at idle

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am out in Waddell. We have “smoky topaz” aka grey (dark).

Yeah man, temperatures have been killer here lately. I have one of those AC vent temperature gauges coming to measure the temperature out of curiosity. I like it cold too. When I am idling although the air is sort of cool, I find it unacceptable.

I’ll be sure to update the thread with the findings of the dealer. I’m still trying to find someone who has installed extra or stronger cooling fans.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
The front windows and windshield on the elites are acoustic glass and I noticed it traps A LOT of heat especially in direct sunlight.

How many miles on your van? Have you checked the basic things like fans and leaks?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Last night I went and made sure both my fans were running, they are. Checked the condenser and it was clear.

It’s sitting at dealer now. Pressures are fine and within spec. Only fault they found (I say only...) they have observed a problem with clutch and coil and are replacing those under warranty.

For the first time ever yesterday we had an “event” where the AC stopping blowing cool at all and even got hot. I have a gut feeling this would be related to to the clutch/coil. But the general not being happy with overall temperature at idle I have a feeling will continue. I guess I’ll know once I get it back.

It does look like there is room for a push fan in front of the condenser between it and front bumper. After I get it back if I am still not happy I am pretty set on installing a fan on the front of that condenser. Will keep this thread updated. If I do the fan, I’ll make a write up out of it.

·
Registered
12,723 Posts
I would recommend you also have them evacuate and recharge the system. A 2014 is 6-7 years old, depending on build date, and is likely at least 5-6 oz low even if there are no leaks.

Reactions: Wkafouse

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just picking it up now. They ended up removing the compressor to replace the clutch and coil. As such they did evac and recharge. Guess I’ll let it go a while and see what happens and do an extra fan as needed.

·
Registered
12,723 Posts
Just picking it up now. They ended up removing the compressor to replace the clutch and coil. As such they did evac and recharge. Guess I’ll let it go a while and see what happens and do an extra fan as needed.
That's a win-win. It will likely be fine now. Cooling can be affected with as little as 5-7 ounces lost. You can double check your current fans to make sure they are working in both low and high speeds. They should run on low speed any time the AC is on. They will jump up to high speed after a few moments of the AC running...technically at 221psi in the high side of the system but in AZ I'm sure that happens within moments of turning on the AC. So, make sure they are running on high most of the time when the AC is on. On low you can't hear them. On high, you can't help but hear them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Seemed colder on drive home. Sitting idling in driveway at home, noticeably colder than it has ever been (even since delivery / new). Outside temp gauge reads 114F right now. I’m in shade right now not direct sunlight.

A couple more days / idling at a red light should reveal a lot. Wish I had my vent thermometer handy and had taken readings before and after. If this is the performance I can expect going forward I am very happy. Also a bit peeved I didn’t get to enjoy this level of comfort until now.

·
Registered
12,723 Posts
I'm not surprised. After I rebuilt the entire AC system in our 08 (compressor, condenser, both expansion valves) my wife commented that it seemed colder than it ever had been since it was new.

Reactions: skelsall

·
Registered
99 Posts
Took our 2015 to the grocery store at 115 today ( read 118 in the car) through the streets. Ac barely kept up even while moving, idling in the store and came back. Based on this, maybe I’ll get the freon level checked!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts