Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12,723 Posts
I had a 2014 here a couple months ago that had a leaking condenser. Lower right, passenger side, near where the line connects to it had an oil stain. A 2015 is fairly new and shouldn't be that low but it doesn't take much to cause reduced cooling, especially when it's that hot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Took our 2015 to the grocery store at 115 today ( read 118 in the car) through the streets. Ac barely kept up even while moving, idling in the store and came back. Based on this, maybe I’ll get the freon level checked!
Doesn’t hurt to get it checked! I am out in Waddell and use Surprise Honda. Have been relatively happy with the service I’ve received there. Today was a hot one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
@Azdude - also being in Arizona I wanted to mention I also have 5% tint all around and a viper 2 way remote start. Has really helped out in the summers prior to stepping into the van. I am hopeful that the remote start will be even more effective in cooling the car down with the ac system improved. This is yet another reason I am still toying with the idea of sticking an extra fan on the condenser.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It’s a good idea to have those. They usually work in lower temps but not today. I have a similar tint and remote start. left it running while in the store with remote start but barely cool when I got back. I’m near queen creek.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Cleaned condenser and the 29 bees in there and not a noticeable change In cooling. Imagine not getting as many bugs In the desert as a lot of others areas...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I’ll grab my temp gauge next time I drive my van. I’ll record vent temp at idle and driving. Since we are both in AZ would be interesting to compare! I’ll record outside temp reported by van dash as well.

·
Registered
279 Posts
@abudwill - In post #14, you state that the dealer "observed a problem with clutch and coil." What do you / they mean by "coil?" Specifically, what part of the A/C system is the "coil."

On hot days and/or when I want to cool the cabin quickly, when sitting at a stop light, I put my vehicle in neutral, rev the engine to 1,500 RPM, and hold it there. The temperature of the air coming out of the vents decreases significantly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
@BTRowan, coil in this case being the electronics at or near clutch. I think Honda parts classifies it at the stator assembly or kit.

Interesting about the revving. Revving wouldn’t do anything for cooling but would certainly turn the compressor faster/more.

My wife has driven a couple times now and she doesn’t feel much of a difference herself. I remote started the other morning and let it sit for 15 minutes and wasn’t impressed when I got in. I have been thinking/concentrating on extra condenser cooling fan which might not do anything!

Thanks for the revving tip. I’ll try that to see what it does. If it does help significantly, I will be sad as I think that’s a tough to swallow permanent solution.

Arizona heat sucks man.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
801 Posts
Interesting about the revving. Revving wouldn’t do anything for cooling but would certainly turn the compressor faster/more.
Spinning the compressor faster is EXACTLY what makes the air cooler. If the pressure differential isn't high enough with the AC compressor running at lower speeds, it won't cool the air. Higher AC compressor speeds will most definitely increase cooling if the AC system is marginal (either refrigerant charge or just weak design).

-Charlie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have done a bit of searching around forum and have either missed what I am looking for or it’s not out there yet.

I have a 2015 odyssey elite I purchased new. Live in Arizona. Hot hot hot climate here! Not happy with the performance of my AC during the summer. Especially if I need to idle at a red light.

I am going into dealer tomorrow to have AC checked for proper operation / pressures / refrigerant load / etc.

I’m under the assumption everything will come back within acceptable factory parameters.

My complaint is when I am driving, AC gets ice cold. When I need to idle for any period of time (even a short idle at a red light), air coming out vents gets warm enough to make me a little uncomfortable. I could see this just being a design / climate issue. Wanted to reach out to the hive mind and find out what others experiences are living in a hot climate with AC. Secondarily I am trying to find out if anyone has done things like upgrade their cooling fans or install an extra fan on the AC condenser and what their experiences and thoughts around this was.

Regards,
Andrew
Cleaned condenser and the 29 bees in there and not a noticeable change In cooling. Imagine not getting as many bugs In the desert as a lot of others areas...
Residing on Long Island NY, we do not have the same super high temps as Arizona, but on our 2011 EX Odyssey I was able to get a substantial benefit by just performing this simple task.
Every year I buy 2 cans of "Air Conditioner Foaming Coil Cleaner" from Home Depot to clean our Central Air conditioning. We usually have a 1/2 can left over. So this year I decide to spray the condenser and let the foam sit there for about 20 plus minutes before hosing it down. Made quite the difference. I noticed it right away, but the real proof was when my wife took the car out the next day when it was in the 90's and when she came home she mentioned how cold the Minivan's A/C was! And she had no idea that I had cleaned it.
So it was easy to do, cost only pennies and took maybe 30 minutes...
Hope that helps someone

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is this “foaming coil cleaner” intended for the “evaporator coil”?

And does it remove musty odor by killing the mold within the evaporator coil housing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is this “foaming coil cleaner” intended for the “evaporator coil”?

And does it remove musty odor by killing the mold within the evaporator coil housing?
Skelsall, I used it on the evaporator coil (engine compartment coil) so I wouldn't know if it would help eliminate a musty odor.
I know there are products out there designed to kill the mold odor, you spray the product into the A/C fresh air duct while the air-conditioning is running. But again, I have no experience with that issue.
All I did was spray an 1/2 can coil cleaner left over from maintaining our central A/C, and it really did a great job on improving the A/C on our Odyssey. Wish I had hooked up gauges to see what if any pressure difference in the system before n after the cleaning. Would expect that the head pressure would go down... but that is an assumption on my part.
Best of luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Skelsall, I used it on the evaporator coil (engine compartment coil) so I wouldn't know if it would help eliminate a musty odor.
I know there are products out there designed to kill the mold odor, you spray the product into the A/C fresh air duct while the air-conditioning is running. But again, I have no experience with that issue.
All I did was spray an 1/2 can coil cleaner left over from maintaining our central A/C, and it really did a great job on improving the A/C on our Odyssey. Wish I had hooked up gauges to see what if any pressure difference in the system before n after the cleaning. Would expect that the head pressure would go down... but that is an assumption on my part.
Best of luck
Sorry, I meant to say the CONDENSORr coil (engine compartment) for some reason I had typed evaporator...

·
Registered
14,125 Posts
The evaporator should not need cleaning as long as you keep up with cabin filter changes and do not use recirculate too much.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts