Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a brand new 2015 Odyssey EXL purchased in March 2015, I've had this problem at least 4 times now. When accelerating, somewhere between 15mph and 20mph, the car jerks/lurches when switching from 1st to 2nd gear. This only happens when increasing speed, this doesn't happen when decelerating from 20mph to 15mph. When this problem happens, it happens every time I am increasing speed from 15mph to 20mph --- but goes away when I turn the engine off. I've had the technical service bulletin 15-014 software 'fix' done on the Odyssey 1.5 weeks ago, but it just had this problem again today while I was on the freeway in rush hour traffic. It didn't happen when I first started up, but started doing this in the middle of the freeway in stop and go traffic. Since this is not a reproducible problem on demand, the dealership can do nothing. And the only things Honda has done were to do S/B 12-064 (this same problem for 2002 Odysseys?) and S/B 15-014 (which covers 2014 and 2015 Odysseys). But again, I had both these software 'fixes' installed, and the problem still exists. Has anyone else seen this problem, or am I just 'lucky'? My solution to this problem is to turn off the engine at the earliest safe opportunity to reset this weird state, but this can't be good, especially on a brand new car. I haven't noticed if ECO has anything to do with it because this problem happens infrequently --- about once a month now. I drive in stop and go rush hour traffic, and slow (school) traffic a lot, which may increase the chances of this happening. I also coast alot, and notice that if the car slows to below 20mph, there seems to be a noticeable self-braking and the car slows down quite quickly. I don't know if that's normal for Hondas, but all my prior cars (Toyotas) coasted pretty smoothly until the cars ran out of steam. Maybe I should have just stuck to Toyotas, but I wanted to give Honda a try :( .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here

I noticed the same behavior. Mine (2015 EX) does this 1 every 2 times I pass to 2nd. Got any news from your dealer?

·
Registered
26 Posts
The strong engine-braking seems to be an Odyssey "thing," unfortunately. I too have that on my 2014. This is the only vehicle I've ever driven in the past 20yrs that behaves this way.

The jerk that you are talking about, does it happen right away, immediately after you get on the accelerator or will it happen while you are applying constant pressure to the accelerator? I have experienced once or twice a noticeable "jerk" while in traffic when the car is slowing and then I get back on the accelerator...almost like the transmission had to search for a gear. It happens very rarely, almost like the van is getting ready to downshift and then I press on the gas or something...I'm assuming it is a timing thing because it happens so rarely.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Could this be the VCM turning on/off while accelerating? I have a 2015 TE and notice it every once in a while and I can see the ECO light turn off while I'm accelerating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my 15 EX for about a week and have noticed the same exact thing. That's the reason why I was looking on here today. I'm glad it's not just me. It's very annoying when I start out in the am and it lurches. I've also noticed how when I'm coasting to a red light up ahead that the van slows way down and so I need to accelerate again. I had a Toyota Sienna for 10 years before this van and I hope I won't be regretting getting a Honda.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a new 2016 Touring Elite that is showing the same problem. There is another thread where you will find more information... I sure did!

click here

Phil

·
Registered
106 Posts
Too bad to hear about those issue for these late models.

·
Registered
60 Posts
As am I...

I am working on relearning how to drive with both feet and NOT touch the brake pedal when I am not actually needing to brake. This is the first Honda I have owned that had throttle by wire.

Being in heavy traffic in a left turn lane presents unique problems given this software programming issue.:rollingeyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all...new member here so please forgive me if the topic has been raised before. I have a 2015 Ody EX-L. Over the last month or so, my wife and I noticed some strange behavior with the acceleration/transmission on our van. The problem seems to occur when the vehicle is still cold and not at full operating temp. When we leave the house and come to a stop (at a stop light or stop sign), we will accelerate and there appears to be some slipping from the transmission. When the transmission engages, we experience a slight lunge or jerk as described here. The issue seems to be intermittent over the last month, but just last week it seems to be occurring more frequently. At one point, I pressed the accelerator, the RPMs got to about 2500-3000 and then finally engaged. Like I said, this does not seem to be occurring once the vehicle is at operating temperatures. I took it to the dealer just this past weekend and as I suspected they could not find any issues. There were no error codes on the computer, the trans fluid was full, the trans worked fine mechanically during the test drive and the software level of the trans computer was up to date. When I search the web for possible issues, this seems to be a wide spread problem. Does anyone know if Honda has been able to nail this issue down? Could this be related with the drive by wire, VCM, or brake dis-engage switch not working nicely together? I would be interested in hearing what the collective population thinks. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also posted this separately, I am having this problem on a brand new (5 day old) 2017 Honda Odyssey. A big jerk and bang when accelerating to ~ 15 mph-- this happened 4 or 5 times on my way to work. The dealership can find nothing wrong. Has anyone figured out a cause or fixed this problem? I don't want a brand new car with a transmission problem!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am posting this as a followup...

I have changed my style of driving. No left foot on the brake or even near it. Solved my issue of even the slightest pressure on the brake pedal causing the throttle to cut. And, when on those occasions where habit kicks in, I make sure I wait for a beat before I accelerate easily. I don't think it's a tranny issue!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all...new member here so please forgive me if the topic has been raised before. I have a 2015 Ody EX-L. Over the last month or so, my wife and I noticed some strange behavior with the acceleration/transmission on our van. The problem seems to occur when the vehicle is still cold and not at full operating temp. When we leave the house and come to a stop (at a stop light or stop sign), we will accelerate and there appears to be some slipping from the transmission. When the transmission engages, we experience a slight lunge or jerk as described here. The issue seems to be intermittent over the last month, but just last week it seems to be occurring more frequently. At one point, I pressed the accelerator, the RPMs got to about 2500-3000 and then finally engaged. Like I said, this does not seem to be occurring once the vehicle is at operating temperatures. I took it to the dealer just this past weekend and as I suspected they could not find any issues. There were no error codes on the computer, the trans fluid was full, the trans worked fine mechanically during the test drive and the software level of the trans computer was up to date. When I search the web for possible issues, this seems to be a wide spread problem. Does anyone know if Honda has been able to nail this issue down? Could this be related with the drive by wire, VCM, or brake dis-engage switch not working nicely together? I would be interested in hearing what the collective population thinks. Thanks
Same here with my 2015 Ody EX-L, my problem happens with shifting from first to second while accelerating, and when it decelerates from second to first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For a brand new 2015 Odyssey EXL purchased in March 2015, I've had this problem at least 4 times now. When accelerating, somewhere between 15mph and 20mph, the car jerks/lurches when switching from 1st to 2nd gear. This only happens when increasing speed, this doesn't happen when decelerating from 20mph to 15mph. When this problem happens, it happens every time I am increasing speed from 15mph to 20mph --- but goes away when I turn the engine off. I've had the technical service bulletin 15-014 software 'fix' done on the Odyssey 1.5 weeks ago, but it just had this problem again today while I was on the freeway in rush hour traffic. It didn't happen when I first started up, but started doing this in the middle of the freeway in stop and go traffic. Since this is not a reproducible problem on demand, the dealership can do nothing. And the only things Honda has done were to do S/B 12-064 (this same problem for 2002 Odysseys?) and S/B 15-014 (which covers 2014 and 2015 Odysseys). But again, I had both these software 'fixes' installed, and the problem still exists. Has anyone else seen this problem, or am I just 'lucky'? My solution to this problem is to turn off the engine at the earliest safe opportunity to reset this weird state, but this can't be good, especially on a brand new car. I haven't noticed if ECO has anything to do with it because this problem happens infrequently --- about once a month now. I drive in stop and go rush hour traffic, and slow (school) traffic a lot, which may increase the chances of this happening. I also coast alot, and notice that if the car slows to below 20mph, there seems to be a noticeable self-braking and the car slows down quite quickly. I don't know if that's normal for Hondas, but all my prior cars (Toyotas) coasted pretty smoothly until the cars ran out of steam. Maybe I should have just stuck to Toyotas, but I wanted to give Honda a try :( .
Sounds like EGR has to be cleaned out or replaced, also if u clean out your intake, aka butterfly with intake cleaner it will run much smoother….

1 - 15 of 15 Posts