Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter just purchased what she called a fully loaded 2015 Honda Odyssey. Once she got to her home she realized it does not have roof rails or roof rack crossbars. She presently lives about 800 miles away from where I am living now and is planning on driving here for a visit. She has already asked if I can find a complete roof rail kit or package and install it for her. As I have not yet seen the vehicle, I really have no idea if this is possible or if so where to start from. Personally, I once had my own gas station/garage so I am reasonably skilled with plenty of tools. I would appreciate anyone who has done this pointing me in the correct direction or source.
Thanks!

·
Registered
450 Posts
the roof rails/cross bars were a dealer installed option, they didn't come from the factory, so even a "fully loaded" model might not have them.

They're not too hard to install yourself - there are existing bolts hidden under the roof trim that the rails attach to - you just have to remove/cut the molding to expose the bolts, then attach the rails.

https://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/odyssey/2015/roofrails.pdf

The OEM cross bars are not adjustable, so if you already have a cargo box or some other accessory that you don't want to drill new holes in, you might want to get aftermarket crossbars which are adjustable. That's what I did - I found the OEM rail on ebay for cheap, then got some aftermarket crossbars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. Is there another source for the rails, or are they only available from the dealer? Also I see the various styles of crossbars on both eBay & Amazon. However, I could not find any source of what I would call the side rails that the crossbars attach to.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I thought there were more aftermarket rails available when I was looking a few years ago, but maybe there aren't that many. I only see this 1 listing on Ebay for Brightlines brand rails.

If you do buy from a dealer, buy them online or from their Ebay store, usually a lot cheaper that way.. Local dealership will charge you at least MSRP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I see it. That should be half of the package I will need. The bars should be easy enough to get as there appears to be a wide selection listed.
BTW, I just checked and local dealer quoted me a price is $624.96 for kit of two side bars and two crossbars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a package by the same vendor consisting of matching side rails and crossbars and placed an order with delivery date of 6/24. I will post back once they arrive and I do the install later that week. Thanks again for the directions and pointers.

·
Registered
2015 Honda Odyssey
2 Posts
Not sure if this is the thread to ask, but would a 2004 roof rack fit a 2015? I'm guessing no but I thought I'd find out before I shell out the cash.

Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Not sure if this is the thread to ask, but would a 2004 roof rack fit a 2015? I'm guessing no but I thought I'd find out before I shell out the cash.

Thanks,
Jay
Definitely not. Completely different. I had a 1999 (same platform as the 2004) and now have a 2011 (same platform as the 2015), both with the factory rack systems.

If you are used to the 2004, you might want to search on here for info on this generation's roof rack. One major difference is that on the 2011, using the factory rails and factory cross bars, there is no adjustment at all possible for the crossbars moving fore-aft. You are stuck with those locations. So some people go with aftermarket rails and / or bars. I probably would have done that, but my 2011 came with the rails+bars already on there.

Reactions: Draagyn

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Definitely not. Completely different. I had a 1999 (same platform as the 2004) and now have a 2011 (same platform as the 2015), both with the factory rack systems.

If you are used to the 2004, you might want to search on here for info on this generation's roof rack. One major difference is that on the 2011, using the factory rails and factory cross bars, there is no adjustment at all possible for the crossbars moving fore-aft. You are stuck with those locations. So some people go with aftermarket rails and / or bars. I probably would have done that, but my 2011 came with the rails+bars already on there.
How about some $35 DIY cross bars? They are not the prettiest, but if they will only be used for occasional trips, they can be installed when needed:

Reactions: Draagyn

·
Registered
177 Posts

Thanks,
Jay
The distance between the roof rails are different between the 2004 and 2015. The 2004's roof rails are parallel, the 2015's rails are spread out further in front than in the rear. Was able to use a pair 50" Thule square bars on our old 2006 (as well as the '99). With our 2015 the rear part of the roof rails can accommodate a 50" crossbar, but the front part has a larger spread so one has to go with a 58" crossbar (since they are typically sold in pairs one would need a pair of 58" bars). Started with a set of Thule 415 feet and migrated to the Thule 450 feet (neither are currently made by Thule so one needs to do a 2nd hand source). The advantage of going with adjustable feet/crossbars is one can adjust the spread between the bars to accommodate your needs (as Oldskewel mentioned above).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts