Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has likely been asked here before and answered, but my limited search capabilities have kept me from finding answers.

I have a 2015 Touring Elite that was purchased new.

At 81,000 miles my Timing Belt and Tensioner were replaced under warranty. However, unfortunately the Water Pump was not replaced at the time (I didn't know enough to ask about it.).

I'm approaching 100,000 miles I now have an A 1 4 code that is displaying (this is for Replacing: Oil, Plugs, Timing Belt and Water Pump). My question is this: What's best for me to do?

Possibilities:
1. Nothing
2. Replace the Water Pump alone now
3. Replace the Water Pump sometime later (and if so when?)
4. Replace both the Timing Belt and Water Pump now (and if so, would I do the tensioner too?)
5. Do something else that I'm not thinking of.

For what it's worth the Brake fluid and Transmission Fluid were done/flushed at the 81,000 service. Also, because of very little driving during COVID, the 81,000 services were done 3 years and 3 months ago. I have a VCM Tuner II installed (and does it need to be disconnected for dealer maintenance?)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you have a full breakdown of the parts replaced?

if the idler, tensioner and belt were changed, TBH you could probably get away with not changing the water pump until the next timing belt change interval @ 200k.

not many reports of the stock water pump going bad under 200k
Thank you for you quick response.

The service receipt mentions only the belt and " auto tensioner", but there is no line item for an idler. Assuming the idler was not replaced, what would be the ramifications?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do nothing except watch your coolant level for significant drops. My coolant seems to very slowly evaporate (1-2 quart in 9 years?) which I assume is normal and not indication of WP failure.
Would relying on the warning system be adequate for this coolant level monitoring, or should I do it manually/visually?

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
I would leave the present setup in service for a timing belt half-life (50,000 mi.) and then have a complete timing belt service done at 81,000 + 50,000 = 131,000 miles.

The omitted water pump and idler are not common failure items.

However, at the present 100,000 miles your coolant is soon due for a change. (It's usually done with the TB service.) I wouldn't leave it until the above-suggested 131,000 miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would leave the present setup in service for a timing belt half-life (50,000 mi.) and then have a complete timing belt service done at 81,000 + 50,000 = 131,000 miles.

However, at the present 100,000 miles your coolant is soon due for a change. (It's usually done with the TB service.) I wouldn't leave it until the above-suggested 131,000 miles.
Thank you for the detailed suggestion. Your sharing of your expertise is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
100 Posts

This seems like the correct pathway forward, given your situation :cool:

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,809 Posts
As Dave mentioned, the omitted items are not common failure points, but items that still should be replaced typically because of the minimal additional labor cost when doing the whole job. If this were my van, I'd replace the coolant soon as recommended (be sure to use the right coolant) and then do the whole timing belt job again around 150K miles.

I think Honda's standard recommendation is actually to "inspect" the water pump at 105K, and replace it with the second timing belt change at 210K. Honda's pumps are good quality and chances are it will last to 210K.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As Dave mentioned, the omitted items are not common failure points, but items that still should be replaced typically because of the minimal additional labor cost when doing the whole job. If this were my van, I'd replace the coolant soon as recommended (be sure to use the right coolant) and then do the whole timing belt job again around 150K miles.

I think Honda's standard recommendation is actually to "inspect" the water pump at 105K, and replace it with the second timing belt change at 210K. Honda's pumps are good quality and chances are it will last to 210K.
Thank you for sharing your insight!

·
Registered
14,724 Posts
The service interval for Honda long life coolant, before the MID was introduced, was 120k or 10 years. I doubt the water pump will be an issue. It really is only replaced because one is in there anyway. But do, when the time comes, only use real Honda coolant. Because of the rear heater core, you never get all the old coolant out. so there are Odysseys out there with 300k that still have some factory coolant left in them. Replacing most, thus renewing the chemicals that break down, is good enough.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The service interval for Honda long life coolant, before the MID was introduced, was 120k or 10 years. I doubt the water pump will be an issue. It really is only replaced because one is in there anyway. But do, when the time comes, only use real Honda coolant. Because of the rear heater core, you never get all the old coolant out. so there are Odysseys out there with 300k that still have some factory coolant left in them. Replacing most, thus renewing the chemicals that break down, is good enough.
Good info to know about, Thank you!

·
Registered
182 Posts
This has likely been asked here before and answered, but my limited search capabilities have kept me from finding answers.

At 81,000 miles my Timing Belt and Tensioner were replaced under warranty. However, unfortunately the Water Pump was not replaced at the time (I didn't know enough to ask about it.).

I'm approaching 100,000 miles I now have an A 1 4 code that is displaying (this is for Replacing: Oil, Plugs, Timing Belt and Water Pump). My question is this: What's best for me to do?

Possibilities:
1. Nothing
4. Replace both the Timing Belt and Water Pump now (and if so, would I do the tensioner too?)

For what it's worth the Brake fluid and Transmission Fluid were done/flushed at the 81,000 service. Also, because of very little driving during COVID, the 81,000 services were done 3 years and 3 months ago. I have a VCM Tuner II installed (and does it need to be disconnected for dealer maintenance?)
I asked my head service advisor the same question, he said the water pump in the odyssey can usually go to 200k before replacement. As long as the cooling system was maintained.
Food for thought.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Possibilities:
1. Nothing

How did yo get this replaced under warranty. I thought Honda standard warranty was 36,000 miles

1 - 20 of 25 Posts