Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owner of 2003 Accord V6 EXL from Sep 2012. Purchased at 88K miles and currently at 155K.

Office being far away and need for another car for her to take kids to various activities during week days, we definitely needed another car. This time we were sure to look at something new or within 5 years in used market since lot of money was spent on maintaining Accord even though it did not leave us stranded once including a 6,250 miles road trip over 15 days in the summer few years back. Since both of us are 6' tall, we were actually thinking about a SUV with 7 seater (cargo space, support parents/in-law visits). Subaru Ascent was on top of the list. I wouldn't say we were impressed when we saw it in NY auto show but felt adequate. Then the question of form vs functionality took over. AWD was also in the mix to confuse things but was not a mandatory criteria. End of the day the practicality and mileage scored high on the decision.

So started looking at Odyssey and Sienna as well while research on SUVs continued. Based on research and various discussions on the internet, narrowed down the decision to 2015 Odyssey EXL, majorly aided by consumerreports. Elder son did not like minivan and younger had no preference. I was also not happy with VCM issues reported in this forum but the workaround had kept me locked in with Ody. Looked at few Odys in northeast but the price got inflated too badly (compared to what was advertised) once we stepped into the shop.

Recently moved to NC. Within a month saw an ad for 2015 Touring with just 5 miles below 16K. Called the owner and fixed an appointment to see the car within next two days. It was 75 miles away though. Amazingly like new, garage kept, Obsidian Blue Pearl with Beige. Owner didn't even allow for test drive unless we commit an advance amount in the form of cashier check which we did not have at 3 PM on a Sat in a rural area where the Ody was. Owner said majority of the miles were on highway. My elder son said, immediately, just buy it! No negotiation on the price by owner, it is almost 5 grands above our budget and also a higher trim. It took few minutes to make the decision - the extra is worth it. Deal done and The Blue Bird is ours in next few days.

Items added immediately (thanks to this club and various forums):
  • VCMTuner II
  • Weathertech all weather floor mats
  • Micca Speck G2 1080p Full-HD Ultra Portable Digital Media Player
  • Viofo A119 V2 front dashcam with GPS logger and CPL that is attached to back of rearview mirror (using Anumit mount from Amazon, only one piece was useful but still required some cutting) and draws power from rearview mirror (using SimpleUSBCable 12V to MiniUSB Two-Prong Universal Dashcam Adapter from Amazon), 128GB Samsung Pro Endurance Micro SDXC card
  • Viofo A119 V2 front dashcam with no GPS logger and no CPL, 64GB Samsung Pro Endurance Micro SDXC card
  • 2 USB port adapter for phone charging
Changes:
  • Removed 2nd row middle seat
There are lot to like about Touring trim but still few things I did not like (but can live with it):
  • Complicated design of how rear entertainment usage to be (DVD, RCA, HDMI in elite trim)
  • Can't turn radio on without turning engine on (or I have not figured out how to do so while in ACC mode)
  • Trip computer reading is 1.5 miles higher than actual mileage on the ground (based on multiple tank to tank measures)
Added 3K miles in 4+ months of which 1.1K is on a single trip during which time the trip meter showed 31mpg average for entire trip between gas fill (but actual was measured at 29.5mpg). Found that the previous oil change was just before the sale of the vehicle but dealer used 5W20 traditional instead of 0W20, so planning to change to synthetic quickly (MM says 50% oil life left). Definitely no ATF change done but planning to do 1X D/F now. All other components / fluids are in excellent condition.

My back is not hurting the way it does if I am in Accord. Also my elder son, 5' 11", has better thigh support in Ody's back row compared to Accord (but still not the best he likes but more happy to sit in Ody than Accord). Currently The Blue Bird is my daily commute vehicle to office and doing all weekend chores while she is using Accord. Happy so far!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you marmaladeboy. I figured if I do not press the brake pedal then it goes to ACC mode and radio can be turned on.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I will verify with my Odyssey when I get home from work, but I believe the radio can be used at the first press of the pushbutton (sans brake pedal pressure). If not, perhaps it is the second press of the pushbutton.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just be carefully sitting and listening to radio w/o having the engine running. I went to pickup my daughter from winter break and she was taking longer than expected. I sat with engine off listening to music but other things were on as well (all the various LCDs, etc.). And, by the time she appeared with her roommate helping with her baggage I had drained the battery and it wouldn't turn over. Of course, I left the portable jumper at the house and had to wait for campus maintenance to come out and give us a boost. Anyway..something to keep in back of your mind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts