Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I’ve gone through a bunch of posts regarding blower motor and relay issues, but haven’t found an issue quite like mine. I’ll make this as short as possible.
Bought the van Dec 2015, so far have had two new motors installed, and resistor replaces twice. Last motor replacement was just 7 months ago, same issue now as before

Symptoms are
1. Fan speed starts to change while driving. Blower on Max Recirc, no Auto setting.

2. Next it will go to where even on high blow, fan speed slows and stays slow, but then another time it’s fine, until it drops again.

3. Eventually it quits blowing at all, no matter what the fan speed is set at, I get no blower at all.

Been to the dealership many times, often they keep the van, trying to recreate, we take it back multiple times until they finally do. Frustrating part is that we play the exact same game with them, every time. Same dance, same exact conversation: “We can’t recreate the issue, so we can’t fix it.” The issue is exactly the same as the two times before. “ our master tech will take it home.” “Found no issue.” “Okay, we found the issue, have to contact the Honda Tech Line(they claim to contact them every time) and see if this is a known issue. “Hey hey don’t show anything, but the motor and resistor/transistor needs to be replaced.”
Replacement is put in, 7 months later, playing the same song and dance.

I live in AZ where it’s gets into the 100teens quite often, not excited about having the wife in a van with no A/C.

Has anyone else seen this issue? I’d love to help the dealership help themselves, rather than going back at least once year for a new blower, and the time and frustration. Involved.

Sorry so long, but thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2004 EX-RES
1,046 Posts
With this being a recurring problem I would think they would begin to look elsewhere in the circuit. Did they automatically just replace the motor and the resistor both times or did they test each and verify that was the problem. It sounds to me like the relay and/or motor or both are getting too much voltage supplied to them causing them to burn out. Other possible causes are the fan control switch and the climate control unit but without a diagram, I can't be much help there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have tested each time, and each time they determined it was a bad motor and resistor. I wrenched for 10 years, and I know how hard electrical issues are. But I’ve asked them to look into other areas that may be causing the motor to go bad. But they test, call the Tech Line, and replace the motor and transistor. I find it hard to believe that I have had three defective motors.
Thanks for the response. I’m there with you. There almost HAS to be something causing the issue. I’ll post when they actually do something. Have to pick it back up and drive again until it shows symptoms again.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It really doesn’t sound like a techline type of response or handling of the situation.

I question that the dealer has really contacted them more than once or twice. You need to ask to get the DPSM involved. Only they can raise the situation to a higher level and get the field tech involved. Those guys are reaaaalllllyyyy good and WILL find the solution.

·
Registered
2004 EX-RES
1,046 Posts
They have tested each time, and each time they determined it was a bad motor and resistor. I wrenched for 10 years, and I know how hard electrical issues are.
I hated electrical issues and still do to be frank. I was hired to do electrical at the shop I was at so I had my fair share of frustrating work days. Is there another Honda dealer in your area that you can take it to. As Jrp advised I would elevate this issue up the chain of command if it happens again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had intended to go to the Dealership manager, didn’t think about the DPSM. That makes more sense. How do I go about getting them involved?
There is another dealership not too far away. I would assume that they would be able to see all of my service history from the first place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Service manager contacted the DPSM, was told that the service department has done everything that they can, and that he can’t do anything.

We have been referred to the sales manager, who has been advised of the situation, and service manager asked him to see if we can trade in, and give a smokin’ deal. The wife isn’t sure that she wants another Honda.

Anyone here know details about how the Lemon Law works, and where to find reliable infomation?

Again, thanks to all for reading and responding.

·
Registered
2004 EX-RES
1,046 Posts
I would request to talk to the DPSM or even contact Honda corporate regarding the issue. I didn't work at a dealer but have friends who do/have and you should be able to talk to the DPSM and/or also be able to get one of their regional techs involved. I have worked with a regional/master tech for Toyota before, for a customer car and for my grandparents and they proved to be extremely helpful and knowledgable.

·
Registered
12,968 Posts
There are very few actual "lemons." There are dealerships and flat rate techs who, unfortunately, don't make money fixing your car. They will spend the minimum time they are getting paid for, usually an hour, and then move on to something else they can make money on. It's not the tech's fault as they have to move on to the next job or go home that day without a paycheck. It's just how the dealerships are set up.

I would recommend taking it to a good independent shop that specializes in diagnostics. You don't need a Honda dealer/tech for this (no offense to our resident Honda techs) and you can usually find a shop that will put in the time needed to find the actual root cause--you will need to pay for the time, though. If a blower and transistor is actually fixing it for 7 months then my guess is there's an airflow issue going on that is damaging them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts