Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just recently get my 2016 honda oddessy ex-l and I noticing it's shaking when I driving on freeway, it have 45000 miles on it, just want to ask it's because on the VCM?
It's my first time to have the oddessy, and I was reading in the forum that people disable their VCM, it is better to disable my vcm on my 2016 van ? And what are dis advantage disabling it?
Any matters thank you!

·
Registered
2013 Odyssey Touring, 2018 Volvo V60
264 Posts
There is no real disadvantage to disabling VCM.

As for the shaking, it may or may not have anything to do with the VCM. Are you getting any check engine lights or error codes? Or is it just shaking? Have you had your alignment checked and wheels balanced? Suspension checked? Motor mounts? It could be any number of things and will need more information to make an informed guess.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
solid advice above.

you're kind of scant on details, and pivoted to VCM which may or may not be the specific cause in your scenario.

regardless, disabling the VCM is always a good start!

Vibration could also be related to tires/rims, burned out transmission fluid, bad axle, or a ball joint / lower control arm or tie rod.

is the vibration more noticeable under acceleration or just cruising, at what speeds is it more noticable?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

As for the shaking, it may or may not have anything to do with the VCM. Are you getting any check engine lights or error codes? Or is it just shaking? Have you had your alignment checked and wheels balanced? Suspension checked? Motor mounts? It could be any number of things and will need more information to make an informed guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
solid advice above.

you're kind of scant on details, and pivoted to VCM which may or may not be the specific cause in your scenario.

regardless, disabling the VCM is always a good start!

Vibration could also be related to tires/rims, burned out transmission fluid, bad axle, or a ball joint / lower control arm or tie rod.

is the vibration more noticeable under acceleration or just cruising, at what speeds is it more noticable?
Hi thank you for the help.
I noticed the shaking around 60 to 70 mph

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
3,278 Posts
Hi thank you for the help.
Need to know if it is constant or only when the green "ECO" light is turned on in the gauge cluster. Also, more information on what 'shaking' means to you... buzz, hum, wiggle, does it sound/feel like it is coming from one area, does you feel it more in your hands, feet or butt? Does it change is speed with the engine (try pressing the D4 button and see if it does it at higher engine speeds) or the road speed, etc.

-Charlie

Reactions: Nrajeff

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
6,448 Posts
You don't wait for your timing belt to break before replacing it. No different here.

Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

·
Administrator
15,265 Posts
2016 Honda Odyssey is NOT a good title. There are two threads with the same title. Fixed it. Please add more relevant titles in the future. :)

Reactions: gobluetwo

·
Administrator
15,265 Posts
Balancing of tires or the axles could be a problem. 3rd gen is littered with vibration/shaking between 60 - 80 mph due to bad/worn axles.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Strongly disagree about no advantages to disabling VCM. You need to do more homework, including the background of the settled class action suit and other manufacturers who have tried VCM. VCM issues include, motor mounts, spark plugs, and rings, not to speak of other engine parts stressed due to excessive movement of the engine with bad motor mounts. Disable VCM as soon as possible.

·
Administrator
15,265 Posts
Strongly disagree about no advantages to disabling VCM. You need to do more homework, including the background of the settled class action suit and other manufacturers who have tried VCM. VCM issues include, motor mounts, spark plugs, and rings, not to speak of other engine parts stressed due to excessive movement of the engine with bad motor mounts. Disable VCM as soon as possible.
I would strongly recommend you re-read the post you quoted. Read the very first line, slowly a couple times this time around. :)

·
Registered
14,710 Posts
New to you 2016? Here is what I did to my new to me 2015:

Replaced the front brakes & rotors with Centric coated rotors and Akebono pads
Balanced the existing tires
Muzzled the VCM
Had the dealer do the software update on the automatic transmission along with a single drain & fill
(I have since done two more, will continue to do a single drain & fill every other oil change)

Less important but was to me: installed air bags in the rear springs with fill valves for ear mounted behind the
fuel filler door. I carry weight but don't tow. If I did tow the valves would be mounted to the hitch crossbar.
The rear spring seats also needed replacement and one of them does again.
Also had the front strut seats replaced to stop the squeaking going over speed bumps and entering driveways.

·
Registered
240 Posts
New to you 2016? Here is what I did to my new to me 2015:

Replaced the front brakes & rotors with Centric coated rotors and Akebono pads
Balanced the existing tires
Muzzled the VCM
Had the dealer do the software update on the automatic transmission along with a single drain & fill
(I have since done two more, will continue to do a single drain & fill every other oil change)

Less important but was to me: installed air bags in the rear springs with fill valves for ear mounted behind the
fuel filler door. I carry weight but don't tow. If I did tow the valves would be mounted to the hitch crossbar.
The rear spring seats also needed replacement and one of them does again.
Also had the front strut seats replaced to stop the squeaking going over speed bumps and entering driveways.
Thats some good stuff done to it. May I ask, what mileage? I haven't even bothered to check my rear spring seat yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts