Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took in my vehicle and the rear shock absorber was leaking. Even the girl helping me was curious as to why that would fail with such low mileage. Is that unheard of with anyone else in here? I just hope I am not being shammed by the dealer. Cost to replace $314.00.

2016 Ody Touring, Mileage 29,955.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just took in my vehicle and the rear shock absorber was leaking. Even the girl helping me was curious as to why that would fail with such low mileage. Is that unheard of with anyone else in here? I just hope I am not being shammed by the dealer. Cost to replace $314.00.

2016 Ody Touring, Mileage 29,955.
That's reasonable for OEM.

does this vehicle live on dirt roads?

You could buy a pair of KYB's off rockauto for 70 bux and do it yourself.
a jack and 2 bolts...

guessing KYB's would last longer than 30k miles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dealer told me the same thing on my '13 when it had around 45k on it. Pay attention to what language they use: they said mine was 'weeping'. That generally means there is some sign of moisture around the seal, it is not the same as leaking where your shock absorber would lose all it's fluid and in due course be useless. I inspected mine and didn't believe it was a problem (I have a background in automotive service) - now at 100k it is still operating just fine. If yours IS genuinely leaking and the damping ability is gone then I would follow the advice above.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's reasonable for OEM.

does this vehicle live on dirt roads?

You could buy a pair of KYB's off rockauto for 70 bux and do it yourself.
a jack and 2 bolts...

guessing KYB's would last longer than 30k miles.
I do not live on dirt roads at all. why is the OEM part worse off than the 3rd party(and more expensive)? Shouldn't that be the other way around?

·
Registered
72 Posts
As I got tires today I saw one of my rears oily (had no idea, it behaved fine) AND a bumpstop torn up. Someone hit something hard. (2nd hand buy) Are you the ONLY driver?

KYB's have always been first choice for me and on imports. One set of rears, here I come.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
List price on that shock is $141.... many if not most shops, markup on top of list prices, so see what you were charged for part number 52610-TK8-A11.
Dealer labor, shop supplies, tax etc will fill out the balance for $314.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
947 Posts
a jack and 2 bolts...
3 bolts, and you generally want to remove the wheel while doing the work... but the rear shocks should be very easy to DIY. No need for an alignment after either, which is nice!

why is the OEM part worse off than the 3rd party(and more expensive)? Shouldn't that be the other way around?
Generally OEM will be the best for reliability, but there have been many reports of issues with a few parts on these vans - the rear shocks being one of them. KYB has a good reputation and should be good for price/performance/longevity, likely even over OEM in this case.

-Charlie

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
52610-TK8-A11 Shock Absorber - RR - $187.28 (Parts)
207857, CHR, Steering/Suspension - $127.00 (Labor)
Provisions and Materials: - $28.95

Total: $343.23 (before tax)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As I got tires today I saw one of my rears oily (had no idea, it behaved fine) AND a bumpstop torn up. Someone hit something hard. (2nd hand buy) Are you the ONLY driver?

KYB's have always been first choice for me and on imports. One set of rears, here I come.

yep - bought it new in 2016.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I don't know about Honda, but often times KYB is the OEM for a lot of companies. When I did all four struts on my '07 Avalon I went with KYB and they are the OEM supplier without the price up (and sticker).

And if you replace the rear, now keep an eye on the loading and feel of the front. Should be fine but...

·
Registered
456 Posts

Damn... Almost $350 for a 10 minute job.

I replaced mine a few years back at 128k with KYB from Rockauto. About $35 each. They're holding up good.

Edit - if you take it there, don't be surprised if they recommend replacing both after you get there. Seems like $500 is the minimum target cost for any dealership visit outside of an oil change these days.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
500 Posts
It's possible that the shock is bad. They shouldn't be worn that quickly, but sometimes, you get unlucky. As mentioned above, I would definitely see if the shock is just "weeping" or if it really needs to be replaced. I suspect it is just weeping, but it's certainly possible that it's bad. I think I have heard of this on the 4th gen vans for some reason, perhaps just poor OEM quality control... it happens.

If it really is bad, get the KYB from RockAuto for $35 and find an independent mechanic who will install it for you for an hour of labor. Normally, I would suggest replacing both sides, but with only 30K miles, I think just replacing one is fine.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Ouch!

Teaching moment for everyone. As you sit in the waiting room look up the factory list price of the main item(s) being changed and when paying the bill point out you were over billed and show what the list price really is. I’ve never been denied.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
500 Posts
YUP. Friend of mine just had the check engine light come on in his 2005 Lexus ES330... took it to the Lexus dealer for diagnosis, bad thermostat, cost him $113 for the freaking diagnosis. They wanted close to $700 to replace the thermostat. I think close to $200 of that was in "parts".

Told him to drive over next time and I'll scan his check engine codes with the scanner I bought for $15. What a waste of $113.

I found the OEM Toyota thermostat (which is the same exact thermostat as the OEM Lexus one) for $19 online. The gasket is like $2. I don't know how the dealer wanted $200 for the parts.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
YUP. Friend of mine just had the check engine light come on in his 2005 Lexus ES330... took it to the Lexus dealer for diagnosis, bad thermostat, cost him $113 for the freaking diagnosis. They wanted close to $700 to replace the thermostat. I think close to $200 of that was in "parts".

Told him to drive over next time and I'll scan his check engine codes with the scanner I bought for $15. What a waste of $113.

I found the OEM Toyota thermostat (which is the same exact thermostat as the OEM Lexus one) for $19 online. The gasket is like $2. I don't know how the dealer wanted $200 for the parts.
That’s why I take my Lexus to a Toyota dealer for timing belts. I tell them to use the Toyota parts. Once they charged me for Lexus parts. They did finally relent and charge for like Toyota parts ...duh, mr service manager that’s why I came here in the first place and why I instructed the service writer to use Toyota parts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
when you dont have a jack or the tools and dont know what you are doing and its your primary vehicle for the family and kids, its just easier/faster to get it done in an hour.

also i got that honda lifetime warranty thing (with Fidelity) when I bought it. I am not sure if they allow you to get things fixed at 3rd parties but I would have to read over the paperwork to see.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
947 Posts
Have you priced out 2+ gallons of Toyota Pink coolant? (and just like with a Honda, the OEM coolant is worth it...)

-Charlie

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
500 Posts
Have you priced out 2+ gallons of Toyota Pink coolant? (and just like with a Honda, the OEM coolant is worth it...)

-Charlie
True. The OEM stuff is expensive, and also very highly regarded. I don't use them. I use Pentofrost A3 on the Odyssey... I think it was something like $15 for the gallon. And, my Toyotas are running Prestone green... shhhh... I know I'm not supposed to.

Yeah, the OEM stuff isn't an exorbitant amount of money given how infrequently the coolant is actually changed. Everything I've read suggests that the Pentofrost is OEM-quality, though. Maybe because I'm a bean counter (accountant), but I'll save a few bucks where I can :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts