Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Did my brakes this weekend, and noticed that the shock cover/boot is pretty shot. The Van has 75k on it - so I wasn't sure if I should try and replace / fix it, or just drive it another 15-20k and plan on replacing the entire strut. Is replacing these a common thing to do at 100K (seems like it would be)

Also - side note, I fluid film my van, and I know that can be hard on rubbers, so maybe this is a downside of undercoating.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grey Knee

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Automotive design Hood

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
+1
use some rtv black to stick it back in place.

spring seat looks obliterated in the first pic.
cheap fix but it will return.

I had a leftover rubber spring seat from a civic front strut, will put that on the bottom of the spring next change.

i have done it 3x now on the passenger side.

·
Registered
718 Posts
yea I saw that too, I actually wasn't sure if it should even be replaced (no one ever rides back there and we don't have any real weight that far back) weird. I'll work on getting a new one! thx!
It's also there to reduce friction on the bottom of rear spring to prevent breakage.....I'd replace it.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
3,115 Posts
yea I saw that too, I actually wasn't sure if it should even be replaced (no one ever rides back there and we don't have any real weight that far back) weird. I'll work on getting a new one! thx!
The van itself weighs much more than anything you put inside. There's plenty of weight back there... It is good that part is cheap and easy to replace - too bad it is so cheaply made that it falls apart so fast. I replaced both on our '16 when I did rear airbags and shocks recently.

-Charlie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts