Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. New here, first post. My wife and I bought a used 2016 Odyssey from a Honda dealer two months ago. As it is summer and has been very hot, we have only run the vehicle with the AC on. Let me know if you think this problem is being caused by the AC compressor.

While running, usually at highway speeds, we will suddenly start to hear a rhythmic scraping noise -- scratch, scratch, scratch, scratch. Each time the noise occurs, the odometer jumps a bit. Interestingly, it is not a jump down in RPMs, but a jump up -- just slight.

I can feel the engine reacting to this, but I don't know what it is doing.

Anyone else have this problem or know what it might be? As I said, it has been beastly hot, here, and we keep the climate control on and at 76 degrees. So maybe the compressor is taxing the engine in some way? But then why the rhythm?

All thoughts are welcome!

·
Registered
985 Posts
You mention both the odometer and the Tach (RPM) gauge are jumping. When you say odometer are you talking about the speedometer?

·
Registered
985 Posts
The easiest way to determine if its the AC compressor, is to simply turn off the AC when it starts to make the noise.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Ditto what mwe2121 said. Turn it off. No noise? AC issue. Noise persists? Go fish!

I haven't heard a noise associated with it, but if its not the AC perhaps the torque converter is locking/unlocking or perhaps slipping. I'll never be able to find the thread but another user was complaining of similar behavior at sustained highway speeds. The service center couldn't find a cause and said the transmission rapidly locking and unlocking was "normal". I don't agree but lol, it is what it is.

Do you know the last time the transmission fluid was drained and filled? It's likely due or overdue if it has never been done.

·
Registered
40 Posts
No one have idea why the car would have a scraping sound in the front passenger area?
Please help me guyz from your end. Thanks in advance. …..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts