Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a power inverter at Walmart to plug into the 12v power outlets in my 2016 Honda Odyssey to allow us to charge a laptop. When I plugged it into the power outlets, the "power on" LED for the power inverter wouldn't even come on. I am hearing that the Odyssey 12v outlets won't support plug-in power inverters for this purpose. Any suggestions? Is there an inverter I can buy that will work?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Obvious first question:

Did you try a different inverter and/or did you try the inverter in a different vehicle? That's a sure way to narrow it down to the inverter vs. the ody.

I run a cheap HF inverter in my 06 so I can use the fast charger for my phone. I have also charged my iPad and Chromebook at the same time that I'm charging my phone. I guess it's possible that they "down-spec'ed" the power outlets in the 16 vs. the 06, but I'd be surprised if that were the case.

Where have you been hearing that the Ody won't support plug-in inverters?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes - I tried 2 different inverters - both didn't work in the 2016 Odyssey and both worked in my 2016 Accord.
The dealership said the outlets won't support some inverters that pull over a certain wattage/voltage/amperage, but would not give me an guidance on how to know which ones would work and which wouldn't. Based on what they said both inverters should work but neither do.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I run an extension cord from the rear outlet on my '12, it has charged my wife's laptop just fine for years now.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Based on what they said both inverters should work but neither do.
What did they say? (You aren't supplying a lot of detail, so it's hard for us to give you a good answer)

What size inverter are you trying to use? Aren't the power outlets spec'd for 10A @ 12V? I'm pretty that means that the inverter itself must be using more than 120 watts if it can't even power up. That seems strange.

You may need to spring for an inverter that runs directly off of the battery. Something like this. (Just an example, I'm not endorsing HF inverters)

Or carry one of these around, but keep the windows open. 😀

·
Registered
49 Posts
Do the outlets work for normal cell phone chargers, etc? Any chance the fuses are just blown?

-Charlie

·
Registered
8 Posts
What is the model of the inverter?
What laptop are you trying to charge?
As someone else asked - does the outlet power anything like a cellphone charger - does the inverter have a LED that lights up indicating power / works in another outlet?

If you are trying to charge a Macbook with USB C they require a decent amount of wattage (but nothing your setup shouldnt be able to handle.) I use this for macbooks / nintendo switch and it has worked pretty reliably: womp womp cant post links because im new. (Maxboost USB C quick charge on amazon)

If you let us know more info we could probably point you to a solution.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just noticed your follow up where you say your setup works in your accord - chances are it is a combination of insufficient wire gauge in combination with the distance from the battery. Could be a pain but upgrading the wire from the fuse box back to the outlet would be helpful - but at that point it is almost worth it to just hard wire a inverter then. Would just have to use a thicker gauge than stock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
Argus.Thorne
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing