Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No problems when the car is turned on and running, but after parking and pushing the "off" button the vehicle sometimes acts haunted. Not every time. Sometimes just a little for a minute and then it's quiet. Sometimes it goes on for over half an hour.

In each instance, some or occasionally all of the following symptoms manifest:
  • A few indicator lights on the dash flicker on and off, accompanied by a couple click sounds (sound like mechanical relays to my untrained ear)
  • The entire dashboard lights up, flickering on and off, accompanied by a cascade of clicking sounds (as above, just a whole lot more of them)
  • Dome light comes on and stays on for at least a few minutes
  • If locked, the car alarm may be triggered after some amount of the flickering behavior has happened
  • Next couple times car starts up, check engine light, traction control light, and/or remote entry system light may be on, but then clear themselves after a couple more trips.
We brought it by the dealer shop thinking it might be the battery, but they report the battery is fine.

Anyone else experienced a 'haunting' like this? And, even if not, does anyone have suggestions as to how I could describe the symptoms for search purposes? "dash lights come on after car turned off" gets me a lot of hits for "dash lights go off after car turned on".

·
Registered
950 Posts
Sounds like a relay issue. Was the vehicle ever in deep water? Normally a failing relay will fail to conduct properly. They also can fail to return properly and it will act like you never turned off the relay. In this case almost seems like it could be a mechanical issue in the relay that allows it to operate most of the time but the springs inside are not working so the rest state allows for intermittent actives.

I asked if it’s been exposed to deep water as water will screw up a lot of electro-mechanical items. Flood damage this is a common symptom.

Which relay? That’s more difficult. I’m not up on the location of the main relay(s) for this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Do ask about this in the 2011-2017 section, many folks do not get down this far. I also am thinking water intrusion,
but maybe from a leak. I just don't remember where this model year leaks (if it does) But water dripping onto a fuse
panel (with relays attached) can cause weird stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts