Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, New to here. I was googling my problem but no luck to find right answer.
It looks like when I brake the car starts shake. I recently replace rotors and brake pads, so that's not the reason.

Today I took out driver side CV joint and found that inside of transmission hole, where the CV joint goes in, the metal ring is broken.

I'm guessing that's why the car shakes(rhythmical ) when I use brake. The metal CV joint rod is pushing the bearing and rubber seal.

I wonder if it's serviceable from our side or I need to bring this car to the transmission shop.
Is it possible to pull out that metal ring part with puller like other cars? and put a new one? please help.

It's going to be thousands of dollar repair VS couple of hundred dollar Repair.

I've attached a photo of the broken ring part. I wonder if I can just replace it myself. I hope it's not part of the inside problem.

This repair affects our family situation seriously this month... Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Alloy wheel Automotive design

- Hoon.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Not sure about your vibration but I changed axles recently and mine looks just like that. I too though something was wrong. I replaced the seal, installed the new axle and all is fine!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Since you didn't mention: are you beyond the 60/60 warranty?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure about your vibration but I changed axles recently and mine looks just like that. I too though something was wrong. I replaced the seal, installed the new axle and all is fine!
I wonder if that metal ring is part of the inside part which is continuous from inside metal pipe. Or that's part of seal. If not. I'm curious I can pull out that ring or not from exterior with some pulling tools from Autozone or Ebay. Thanks for your response anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since you didn't mention: are you beyond the 60/60 warranty?
Unfortunately, Yes. Already 83,000 miles. I got it used from an individual when the car just passed 60,000 miles. and it was ok so far. I've been doing Transmission oil, Engine oil myself just like other dads. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WTH are those spikey barbs in the second pic?

the poor lighting of the pics have me perplexed.
I think those are gear thread reflections cuz there's transmission oil of course. Sorry for cell phone flash. I think I should have used garage working light and had my cellphone flash off. That's too bright. So the inner space of the hole is not that recognizable. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I wonder if that metal ring is part of the inside part which is continuous from inside metal pipe. Or that's part of seal. If not. I'm curious I can pull out that ring or not from exterior with some pulling tools from Autozone or Ebay. Thanks for your response anyway.
I vote to leave it alone. Put a new seal in it, slide the axle in and call it good.

Remember to change your transmission oil..... much has leaked out anyway.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Were the pads/rotors changed before this started, or as an attempt to solve the shaking?

What wheels got new pads/rotors?

Were any of the pads worn a lot more than counterparts?

Do you feel the shake in the steering wheel or more in the seat?

Did the calipers check out, particularly the slide pins?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I vote to leave it alone. Put a new seal in it, slide the axle in and call it good.

Remember to change your transmission oil..... much has leaked out anyway.
Thanks a lot John. I always refill ATF as the mount I leak and then check after couple of ride around my neighborhood. Do you know part name/# or is it jus Axle Seal like this?

I googled and tried to find with 'axle seal', ' Drive Axle Seal' at Autozone, Amazon, but that's the only part I could find so far.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(updated)

I think this is the part. Thanks.

Organism Font Urban design Parallel Auto part

Product Font Engineering Auto part Parallel

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Were the pads/rotors changed before this started, or as an attempt to solve the shaking?

What wheels got new pads/rotors?

Were any of the pads worn a lot more than counterparts?

Do you feel the shake in the steering wheel or more in the seat?

Did the calipers check out, particularly the slide pins?
All front rotors and pads are new. This doesn't resolve the issue.
Pads were not noticeably worn as far as I remember.
Calipers and Slide Pins are OK I think. I've also cleaned and lubricated upper/lower clips where the pad touches and slides.

I feel more vibration from the brake pedal not the seat. The vibration rhythm matches wheel spinning speed. That's why I replaced the rotors and pads first.
I'm still in the learning process I think. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
if the axles and rotors didnt do it for the vibration, check those lower control arm ball joints and tie rods.

if your front end has play, you can get vibration but its usually felt in the steering wheel when accelerating or braking.

not the pedal as you describe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if the axles and rotors didnt do it for the vibration, check those lower control arm ball joints and tie rods.

if your front end has play, you can get vibration but its usually felt in the steering wheel when accelerating or braking.

not the pedal as you describe.
Accelerating and braking were ok. I don't feel anything at the bump or turning too. No squeaks or wobbles.
The vibration is more like 'up and down' or 'to the front and back' ot the ' to the left and right'
I will try axle seal first. Thanks for your advice!. Have a nice weekend! I will drink beer this weekend anyway. The car is at least running fine(?)

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
If you are feeling the shake more in the pedal than the steering wheel, I would look at the rear brakes. It sounds like you haven't done anything to them.

I think your answer boils down to saying you changed the front pads and rotors trying to fix the problem. If that is not correct, meaning that the problem started after you changed them, double check that you have installed all the hardware parts correctly. And sometimes rotors are bad out of the box.

Please help us help you. I asked you the first Q trying to find out the relative timing, like "which came first". You answered that "all front are new", not answering the question. Most of us ask specific questions to narrow down the possibilities, and avoid writing about possibilities that could be eliminated by an answer to the question.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts