Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hogwash on the "once you do a fluid swap you'll need a new transmission BS." Honda has TSB's stating you need to do transmission fluid swaps at 30,000 miles, but many dealers don't know this (don't care, their pro technicians don't read the bulletins, who knows). These things beat the heck out of transmission fluid.

A fluid swap on the transmission only gets about 1/3 of the total out (you might get 4 quarts in a single draining but there are over 11 quarts in the transmission). BUT with just one, 4 quart swap in our '16 with 41k on the clock the van drove let's say 75% better. No more judder/shutter and surging, and the like. Install a Muzzle and it made this issue another 20% better, a second fluid swap a few hundred miles later and it was like we were driving a new van. I rode on my neighbors Pilot with 65K on the clock a few weeks ago, no fluid swaps; what a herky jerky ride. I tried to tell them what's what, and I got "...but the dealer said so that's what I'm going to follow..." Good luck with that, but results don't lie.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
I agree with all of this. I'd like to know the exact code that set after your oil change but so soon afterward does suggest a low quality oil filter is likely to blame. Probably didn't need the switch or the spool valve but dealer techs don't diagnose, they try-agnose with parts at your cost. It's sad but true. A good independent shop would do a better job diagnosing. Change the oil and filter, using good quality synthetic oil and a good quality filter (I use Honda filter when this happens just to remove variables) and then clear the codes and see what returns.

As for the trans fluid change, you're correct about changing the fluid and having problems...but that is usually with high mileage cars that have never had the fluid changed, and usually not Hondas. Three drain and fills of the ATF will have your car back to new. There is also a software update to help with the premature fluid breakdown.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The exact code they said was p0304. As far as resetting the codes like you said, do I need to ask them to do that or they will, or it happens by the repairs they're doing anyway?

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
That's the only code there was and they went to the spool valve and oil switch? There must be more to the story there. Not sure what to tell you. A misfire code on one cylinder sure wouldn't lead me to that diagnosis but I don't have all the info.

·
Registered
529 Posts
That's the only code there was and they went to the spool valve and oil switch? There must be more to the story there. Not sure what to tell you. A misfire code on one cylinder sure wouldn't lead me to that diagnosis but I don't have all the info.
She originally said these were the codes they gave her:
"Just talked with them as I hadn't asked the actual codes..the first, for the VPS switch, was p0304. And then the spool valve one was p3497"

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
I guess I should have gone back and re-read. Wasn't there a tsb for something similar on the older gen 4 van where there was an issue with the oil pressure regulator spring or some such thing? If I recall, on cold start the oil pressure would go too high or something. The TSB's are hard to find on this site after the forum update so I'm just going by memory here.

I still think an oil/filter change is in order, just to rule it out before proceeding.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I probably should have came here first before agreeing to pay the money for their fix...but I guess I'll know next time. I did call back yesterday and tell them to go ahead and change the oil and filter also.

·
Registered
118 Posts
@John Clark Once the filter is done, do they have to reset the codes? Or does the system do a self check?

And WHAT Filters are acceptable for this generation of Odyssey's?

Thanks and good luck Heather!

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you don't mind posting the outcome (and cost) of their repair/diagnosis, it would be beneficial for future use on this forum. Hope all is fixed for you with a simple oil change.
Also, I have used Amsoil filters and oil with extended use since my first oil change on all my vehicles without a problem so I know their filters work fine...I would be curious what filter Firestone used on her van..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
They just called and said van is ready for pickup. Unfortunately, as I am naive and not well versed on dealing with these issues I had went ahead and told them to go ahead with their diagnosis and repairs ..so for a VPS switch replacement, and replacing the spool valve, and oil change and filter...my total was 856. Once I get up to get the van and actually see the invoice I can probably explain better what they did. They did go ahead (they said) and do the transmission drain and fill, and that was covered they said, so I'm excited about that?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well, those parts are new now and you won't have to worry about them I guess. Could be worse. And the transmission swap was done, you'll notice a difference there (and that would have run you anywhere from $130-200 depending for a swap, not complete flush which you don't want anyway).

Let us know how it goes and you know where to ask first next time around as Honda isn't going to be shooting straight. Some of it is attitude, some of it is the vehicles have exceeded many mechanics abilities and knowledge and some of it is downright dishonesty.

Once everything has settled down it's time for a Muzzler, some sake of installation I would say the VCMTuner II (no power lead required).

VCMTuner II in an '16 Odyssey

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I attached the invoices. Made the 2 hour drive from the dealership where van was towed to home without incident, seems to be running good. I had mentioned the service bulletin on the trans issue, and the service advisor said they did it according to bulletin but the invoice reads like they flushed the trans vs draining? If that's the case... is that a big deal? They didn't charge anything for that work.

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
I know Honda absolutely advises against the traditional "flushing" of their transmissions, so I am pretty sure they did the drain and fill procedure that the TSB outlined. What I am surprised at is that the powertrain warranty doesn't cover the other work you had done. I would think now that you have the official invoice outlining the corrective action that you may have a decent case with corporate in being reimbursed for your out of pocket expenses. Hopefully John will pipe in as he knows much more about the drivetrains in these vans and if you stand a chance in getting back your out of pocket cash....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I called Honda directly and they said the parts weren't covered under warranty, but I didn't have the invoice then and perhaps didn't explain it very well? Everyone I've spoken with has been shocked the warranty didn't cover anything.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Ok, I will try to do that. I just hope I can familiarize myself with the needed maintenance and ins and outs of these to enjoy ownership. I love the van and you always hear how great Hondas are... but it seems like a lot of issues?!

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
And the transmission swap was done, you'll notice a difference there (and that would have run you anywhere from $130-200 depending for a swap, not complete flush which you don't want anyway).
The trans tsb does call it a flush and then details exactly how that is to be done. i.e. changing the fluid three times with simulated driving in between. What one never wants is for someone (like a Firestone store) using flush machine on a Honda automatic.

The MID shows a sub-code 3 for a normal drain & fill on a Honda automatic. That used to be every 6th oil change (45,000 miles) and is now every 4th (30,000 miles) All Honda automatics have called for regular fluid changes (just a drain & fill) since the Hondamatic debut in 1968. Honda automatics are not like any other, here's why:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, I will try to do that. I just hope I can familiarize myself with the needed maintenance and ins and outs of these to enjoy ownership. I love the van and you always hear how great Hondas are... but it seems like a lot of issues?!
I have a 2014 Odysse and undecided on next mini van being Honda or Toyota. This discussion sure makes me lean towards Toyota. I like my 2014; but the blue tooth/navigation/hands free has been a nightmare dealer can't solve. I'll second the thanks to your husband for his service and I'm proud of all you others trying to help out.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts
About this Discussion
58 Replies
18 Participants
EOT 4 Life
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing