Honda Odyssey Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would like to also advise you to go to your base and find an advocate in the legal dept. there.
They will have someone versed in these type of problems that can help or send you to someone that can help.
When official papers from a base commander or lawyer start to show up they may change there tune.
May take a little searching through many department on base, but they are there to help you.
Mike

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had been looking into the juddering and fluid swap as I have been noticing that when I accelerate, my Rpms have that sort of hesitation or stutter. I thought for sure when my CEL started blinking that my transmission must be going out. I was hesitant to do the fluid drain because I've had lots of people tell me they NEVER do a fluid drain and swap because once you do, you're almost guaranteed to need a new transmission sooner than later?? But I've read on here and it seems like most do it and are supporters of it?
One more question... as far as the computer codes being reset..is this something the dealer should automatically be doing since they are fixing my vehicle for the codes showing, or is it something I need to ask them to do? 🤷‍♀️ still learning
I have a 2005 high end (1 below touring) I have dealt with the judder for the past 8 years. Whenever I have noticed it I have done a drain and fill and it has gone away. Now I have gotten my Honda dealer whenever they send me a card for a $39.95 oil and filter change to do a “drain and fill with the engine oil change for $30.00 more. . The service people always want to charge me over $100 for a transmission servicing but the car has never had one. The service manager agreed the extra oil drains and fills were very cheap for them labor wise when done at the same time as an engine oil change. and they sell more oil. My car has over 200,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As a current servicemember, I applaud you as a spouse carrying this load. You are asking all the right questions and like a previous poster said, use the "husband is deployed" card as often as you can. Not ashamed to say it has been helpful for my family when I was in the desert. Hopefully, this gets resolved soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have had this very thing happen with our 2018 (edited year) Honda Odyssey EX-L w/NAV/RES. It has happened numerous times. It has occurred since around 24K miles and the dealership cannot seem to figure it out. They have changed a harness, rocker bank and maybe a few other things. Our transmission has always seemed "rough and clunky" but your description is right on...it goes limp. We are motoring down the highway at 70 mph and go to pass to the left and bam, no acceleration. It really is a safety issue. We have had it to the dealer countless times and we are always told that they have to capture an image by attaching a computer and test driving it. American Honda will do nothing until they can confirm the problem. Of course, it is intermittent and they have not been able to duplicate the issue. I have taken pictures of the CEL/dashboard but that is not good enough. I have opened a case with Honda but they will not do a voluntary recall and of course, it is out of warranty and now has 50K+ miles. We are outside of the lemon law for our state, but the issue occurred while we were still under warranty so they have not charged us anything to check or change parts. I do think that they are growing weary of us though (a dealership that we have used for 20+ years and 3 vehicles). My biggest regret here is having faith in my Honda dealer that they will figure out the problem and fix it. That was a year ago and now I regret being so patient with them. I should have opened a case with American Honda a year ago. For anyone contemplating a new Odyssey, buyer beware: American Honda is terrible to deal with. Most auto dealers will enter into mediation if you get your state's attorney general involved, but Honda will not. We are unsure what to do at this point.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Thank you all for your supportive responses. I know a lot of times when an ignorant newbie such as myself poses a question on a social media site, it can often be grounds for nitpicking but you all have been so helpful and kind, even though I probably don't know all the correct terms for this stuff. My husband and I both appreciate it!

Bayou Born- it is discouraging to hear you have the same issue with an even newer model! I truly love the Odyssey and told my husband I was gonna just take it to the lot and trade for new 🤣 rocker bank was what they said was the issue with mine..and spool valve, not sure if those are the same thing or how exactly they correlate. I hope that Honda can make the issue right for you. I'm surprised to learn a company with cars that are always renowned for "lasting forever" doesn't have better customer service.

·
Registered
414 Posts
That’s what I love about OdyClub, fantastic community! Very mellow and understanding (I suppose the personality comes with the vehicle choice?) :) I was a regular over at Mazdas247 for my CX-5 but I stopped visiting recently. Definitely not a forum for the average person (or car enthusiast for that matter).

·
Registered
42 Posts
I absolutely do not agree with Honda's handling of this type of problem, but if you close one eye and squint the other and look at that warranty wording, you can see that they don't explicitly cover those parts attached to the top of the heads. Mostly just the basic stuff they know has a low risk of failure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I asked about the warranty because I thought so too, and of course my husband is livid wondering what the warranty does cover if this isn't. The lady I speak with on the phone tells me she looks up the parts to determine warranty coverage and none of these fall under it, only powertrain and drivability. But isn't this a drivability issue?! I have been pouring over tons of posts, I wasn't sure if my 2016 had the VCM or not since the extended warranty for that issue only extended through 2013 or 14 from what I could tell?
So I guess I probably need to get a muzzler. Normally I would have my husband do it but since he isn't here... is this something the dealer does? Where do I get the muzzler?
This is definitely a powertrain issue. No If, But or Maybe about it. I would contact Honda corporate and tell them that " the dealer want me to pay for warrantied item"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Was driving down the highway last Friday and my CEL started blinking. Car went into limp mode. Prior to this, car was driving fine, no issues. Had it towed to dealer and it showed a misfire code, I think they said 4th cylinder. They said the VPS switch was causing the misfire, and I had a valve that was staying open. Replaced VPS switch and then call to tell me I have a spool valve (front bank rocker??) bad which is causing the valve issue and oil is going where it shouldn't. I can't get anyone to tell me why this is happening on such a new vehicle, and I'm concerned if I don't know the root cause it will keep happening. My husband is deployed, I don't know too much about cars or all the different names for these parts and I feel like I'm paying a lot for parts and labor with no real answers. Any guidance is appreciated. Mileage is around 54k.
Trade it in on a Kia. 10yr/100k mile warranty. End of discussion. 😉

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
My husband has a Hyundai Santa Fe, solely because of that warranty! I just wonder if it's as limited and filled with as many loopholes as Honda :oops:

·
Registered
118 Posts
This is what military legal assistance is for, use it. Contact/re-contact Honda America with your incident number and let them know you're filing a legal complaint, your husband is deployed and seriously WTF?!?? If they don't blink then, make an appointment and take this to your local JAG's office and see if a sternly worded letter from a servicemen's family while he's freakin deployed gets them to re-think their BS handling of all this. Not that anyone should have to deal with this but come on already...

SO, since you've had this work done; how's the van doing? Better?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
It does seem to be doing better, no judder that I have noticed. I sometimes feel like it has very little get up and go since this incident, but I can't tell if I'm just being hypersensitive.
I didn't think of using any military legal, I will look into that.
We did buy the van used, so perhaps that is why nothing is covered? They did confirm it was still under the original powertrain warranty for the 5 yr/60k. I don't fully know all about the extended warranty so maybe that is the issue here?

·
Registered
53 Posts
They did confirm it was still under the original powertrain warranty for the 5 yr/60k.
This is an interesting one. Here is the wording from the engine section of the powertrain limited warranty in Warranty booklet:

Engine
Cylinder block and head and all internal parts, timing gears and gaskets, timing chain/belt and cover, flywheel, valve covers, oil pan, oil pump, intake and exhaust manifolds, engine mounts, engine/powertrain control module, water pump, fuel pump, seals and gaskets.

The debate here is whether the spool valve is part of "timing gears and gaskets" (it does control valve timing / VCM). It isn't explicitly called out, but it does seem like all parts of the timing system should be covered as part of the powertrain warranty...

-Charlie

·
Registered
291 Posts
I call the '5/60' power train warranty the 'extended warranty' because it is over and above the '3/36' bumper-to-bumper warranty so don't let my terms confuse the issue. The fact that they admit it is still covered by that that 5/60 is important and I don't see how they can dodge covering the repairs. If the part is needed to make the engine run properly and is an internal part under the cam cover, not something like ignition parts that are maintenance items, it has to be covered. That is the purpose of the 5/60 power train warranty, to make sure you at least are covered for the engine, transmission, final drive and axles which are the primary elements in being able to drive the car.

·
Registered
667 Posts
And WHAT Filters are acceptable for this generation of Odyssey's?
Any quality filter spec'ed same , or better, than a Honda filter. The Honda filter is made by Fram and Filtech. It should be for synthetic oil, high mileage use. I would have no problem running a Mobil 1, Wix, or Napa Gold!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Honda isn't all that it is hyped up to be. My wife loves her Odyssey but otherwise I would not buy another. The dealers are terrible and I have read of many many cases where Honda tries to deny warranty coverage for stuff that should definitely be covered.

In this case i would take legal action against them to recover your costs in funding what should have been a no questions asked warranty repair.

Ours had the trans fluid changed three times by me at 47k miles due to the juddering. Dealer refused to perform TSB and wanted to charge $135 an hour to diagnose "an engine problem " . I ordered a VCMUZZLER from Verbatim on this forum and installed it a couple days ago.

Please thank your husband for his service! Now you know the real Honda ownership experience 😁

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
About this Discussion
58 Replies
18 Participants
EOT 4 Life
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing