Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just curious if these are covered under standard 3 yr or 36k miles warranty? The ride is very noisy in the back from clunky per people riding in the back. I know its an easy fix to replace those but just curious if honda covers it?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Probably not the shocks unless they have come loose at one end or the other. There are a lot of things in the back that can cause clunks including the lift gate/power cylinder, exhaust system, sway bar and suspension linkages.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Any warranty replacement of anything is going to need to be diagnosed as a part failure. Usually to even look at it means a diagnosis fee that would then be refunded if a warranty issue is found and fixed. So that's a risk to consider. I think in this situation, it would be almost impossible to absolutely convince Honda that the shocks have failed just because it's loud back there.

Is it a specific clunk like a loose part rattling around, or is it just really loud?

In general, I'll say that these Odysseys are some of the loudest cars (from road noise, not engine, not tires, not wind) out there. My '99 has been like that since day 1.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
395 Posts
Probably not the shocks unless they have come loose at one end or the other. There are a lot of things in the back that can cause clunks including the lift gate/power cylinder, exhaust system, sway bar and suspension linkages.
There is no rear swaybar on the Odyssey, but otherwise, this is correct. You'll need to track down where the sound is coming from before figuring out if it is a warranty issue (though, since you are likely out of the bumper-to-bumper period, most things back there are not covered).

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I second the lift gate motor!

·
Registered
10,951 Posts
It's common for the rear spring seats to come apart on the gen 4 vans.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Agree verify the spring seats. Made from hard plastic they fall apart then springs creek. I noticed it mostly when pulling into certain driveways with bumps like a curb that needs to be overcome. The twisting would cause springs to make a loud clunk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 2011 started clunking in the back at around 100k. I looked around for loose connections and could only find a slightly broken spring seat. I replaced the shocks with KYB as it was time anyway and that fixed the problem. Just putting that out there. Under 36k would be early for them to wear out but you may have gotten a bad part to start with.

·
Registered
561 Posts
There is a TSB for the rear hatch. It was the locking mechanism IIRC.

Just this past weekend, I noticed the "U-hook" part of the lock is loose. So I tighten it.

Like others have said, there are lots of stuff that can rattle back there.

New shocks for a 3 year old vehicle? That's kind of soon for it to go bad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the part number 52610-TK8-A11 can be use for bother right rear and left rear? when I see the order on hondapartsnow.com it says RR but when I call dealer, they said you can use it for both RR or LR. Also was wondering if anyone used the KYB on rockauto it states the same part number but for a great price 35 instead of the 100 from hondparts and definitely cheaper than the $180 the dealer quoted me for 1 rear shock damper? Can anyone confirm if I can use the KYB or must I use the OEM from honda?

Thanks all. I'm just tired of this nose and it's about time for me to change this out.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
395 Posts
Can anyone confirm if I can use the KYB or must I use the OEM from honda?
People have generally had good luck with KYB. It should be an easy DIY swap-out if you can do it, and it would be best to replace both sides for even handling. Both sides use the same part. No need for a new alignment afterward even (for rear shocks).

-Charlie

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I changed both with the KYB which states made from Thailand. After pulling the boot away, i didn't see any leaks but the drive still has that clunky sound. I guess these odyssey are really loud then.

Can i save the OEM will it eventually leak if i store it to be used for later once the KYBs go out?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I changed both with the KYB which states made from Thailand. After pulling the boot away, i didn't see any leaks but the drive still has that clunky sound. I guess these odyssey are really loud then.

Can i save the OEM will it eventually leak if i store it to be used for later once the KYBs go out?

Thanks.
Check the spring seats.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts