Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2016 Odyssey SE unlocking upon approach

403 7
Just recently my 2016 Odyssey sometimes unlocks the doors when a person with the smart-key fob approaches the van from the rear on the passenger side. We have only had the van for a few months so wasn’t sure if normal. I could not find any settings for this. It unlocks without touching the door handle. So, is this normal?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,078 Posts
Just recently my 2016 Odyssey sometimes unlocks the doors when a person with the key approaches the van from the rear on the passenger side. We have only had the van for a few months so wasn’t sure if normal. I could not find any settings for this. It unlocks without touching the door handle. So, is this normal?
Mine does the same thing from time to time, so is it normal? Hard to say.

Is it uncommon? I suppose not. Is it good? No.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Have you checked your Owner's Manual? Could be a feature that you can turn on or off. Mine automatically unlocks all doors when I shift into Park. If I lived or parked frequently in a sketchy neighborhood, I would want to reprogram that!

·
Registered
2014 Accord EX-L, 2016 Odyssey SE
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you checked your Owner's Manual? Could be a feature that you can turn on or off. Mine automatically unlocks all doors when I shift into Park. If I lived or parked frequently in a sketchy neighborhood, I would want to reprogram that!
I highly agree. But like a previous person mentioned, it is not consistent for us. Sometimes it unlocks when we approach but most times it does not. I didn't check the owner's manual yet but tried changing settings in the van and there was nothing related to this, hence why I posted here for assistance.

·
Premium Member
3,078 Posts
Fob button getting mushed in your pocket? I randomly opened the sliding door by accident last night.
That's certainly a possibility - it's happened to me too. I bent over to tie my shoelace and the sliding door opened itself because the button got pressed inside my pocket. I get that.

But I've also had it happen where I walk past the van with the key fob in my hand and suddenly I hear the door locks turn. I haven't been able to pin down exactly what is going on when that happens. It's very infrequent so any patterns are hard to figure out.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
3,271 Posts
The door sensors have had failures reported not working - maybe this is the opposite - overly sensitive... It uses a capacitive touch sensor in the handle to trigger a 'read' of the fob, maybe it is getting false 'touch' indications which unlocks the car if the fob is sufficiently close.

-Charlie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts