Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, some details might be missing as I was driving the van when it stalled. My wife said power steering went and fuel power went out. My guess is that the full engine lost power. It was towed to my yard where I have been trying to diagnose the issue. It has a brand new battery and alternator (installed after the stalling). The push button cranks the starter but it does not fire over. I have tested continuity on all fuses and they are all good. I powered and Ohms tested the fuel pump relay (good). All lights and power accessories work. Any suggestions you all might have would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,045 Posts
Mileage? Did you keep up with timing belt maintenance? Perhaps the belt is broken.

·
Registered
10,010 Posts
Does it make the usual rururu sound when cranking, or is the cranking sound different or uneven?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mileage? Did you keep up with timing belt maintenance? Perhaps the belt is broken.
Thanks for the thought but I have thought this as a possibility but unlikely because we have stayed on top of the maintenance and had the belt changed on schedule.
Does it make the usual rururu sound when cranking, or is the cranking sound different or uneven?
Pretty much the same sound but sort of flat sounding because the engine does fire at all. You hear the starter crank and that’s it. Another odd thing is when the push button is released it usually stops the starter immediately but now it keeps spinning. It could be that it has always done that but because the engine always catches I release the button almost instantly so the starter would stop too.

·
Registered
10,010 Posts
Any abnormal lights on the instrument panel? Particularly, the immobilizer indicator?

Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

·
Registered
10,010 Posts
The immobilizer indicator is a key icon on the instrument panel. It should illuminate when the start button mode goes to ON, then go out after a few seconds.

If it doesn't illuminate, the immobilizer system may be faulty. If so, the engine won't start.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The immobilizer indicator is a key icon on the instrument panel. It should illuminate when the start button mode goes to ON, then go out after a few seconds.

If it doesn't illuminate, the immobilizer system may be faulty. If so, the engine won't start.
No key icon stays on so I assume from your explanation that’s not an issue, right? Also, I know not scientific but I heard no noise at the gas cap, under the rear of the van, nor when my ear was pressed against the tank. So possibly a bad pump?

·
Registered
10,010 Posts
No key icon stays on
Okay, that's good; but only if it illuminates for a few seconds first. (See page 78 of the manual.) Does it illuminate at all?

Interesting about not hearing the fuel pump. Have you heard it in the past? I believe you should hear it running from the driver seat for a few seconds when the start button goes to ON mode. But I don't have a 2016 to compare with. I hope someone confirms this.

Keep in mind that there are many reasons for a fuel pump to not run, in addition to the pump itself.

BTW, dumb question - is there fuel in the tank?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, that's good; but only if it illuminates for a few seconds first. (See page 78 of the manual.) Does it illuminate at all?

Interesting about not hearing the fuel pump. Have you heard it in the past? I believe you should hear it running from the driver seat for a few seconds when the start button goes to ON mode. But I don't have a 2016 to compare with. I hope someone confirms this.

Keep in mind that there are many reasons for a fuel pump to not run, in addition to the pump itself.

BTW, dumb question - is there fuel in the tank?
Yep, fuel in the tank. And all normal lights come on and off within reasonable time. I have been poking around here and have found the fuel pump relay mentioned a few times. I removed it, powered it up, and tested continuity and it appears solid. Could it be bad?

·
Registered
10,010 Posts
It's certainly possible the FP relay is bad, although it did test good.

Test if there's 12V out of the relay to the pump if you know the pin, or at the pump, when the engine is cranking.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hi All, some details might be missing as I was driving the van when it stalled. My wife said power steering went and fuel power went out. My guess is that the full engine lost power. It was towed to my yard where I have been trying to diagnose the issue. It has a brand new battery and alternator (installed after the stalling). The push button cranks the starter but it does not fire over. I have tested continuity on all fuses and they are all good. I powered and Ohms tested the fuel pump relay (good). All lights and power accessories work. Any suggestions you all might have would be appreciated.
what made you replace the battery and alternator? this stalling incident?

Are you sure everything is reconnected properly? The battery could still be bad even if new, same with the alternator, especially if its an aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX
278 Posts
Another odd thing is when the push button is released it usually stops the starter immediately but now it keeps spinning.
It could very well be the timing belt. The starter will keep spinning if there is nothing to catch on.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts