Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After returning from a paddling trip the sliding door (driver's side) on my 2016 Odyssey SE would open but would not close when any of a number of close buttons was pressed including the one on the key fob. When a close button was pushed, 3 beeps were heard, but the door would not close. The door could be closed manually by placing the door power switch - located on the left side of the dash - in the off position and then pulling the door handle and door toward the closed position.
I took the vehicle to the local Honda dealer and the gentlemen checking me in spotted the problem instantly and fixed it with the flick of a finger. He explained that the leading vertical edge of the door contains a pinch sensor behind a rubber seal. If the seal is compressed by an obstruction, say from a finger or an arm, the pinch sensor signals the door to open fully. He noticed that a portion of this seal was compressed and was in an abnormal rolled (tucked) under position. He merely rubbed the seal to allow it to release back to its normal state and the door worked perfectly again. I believe that when I was loading kayaks onto the roof rack I was reaching and leaning against the edge of the open sliding door and probably compressed the seal is such a way that it got stuck and did not release, thus activating the pinch sensor. Anyway, it was the fastest car repair I've experienced; 2 minutes between the time I arrived and the time a left, and no charge!
I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm doing this post correctly and that I'm not duplicating something already well covered. I searched but did not find any posts on this particular problem on this vintage of Odyssey, so I submit this new post in hopes that it will save some of you some time and head scratching.
- Jim

·
Registered
13,549 Posts
This sensor looks just like a rubber seal on running the entire vertical height of the door, on its leading edge. You can test it by closing the door, and while moving just put your finger on it and push backward on it. It should reverse the door.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This posting saved me time and money solving my door bouncing back open when it is closing.
Thank you very much.
Let me add some photos so as to help even more people.

This edge of the sliding door is actually a sensor switch from top to bottom (to avoid pinching your finger):

This is where my problem was. It got pushed out of place when I moved a box. Simply pushing it back in place fixed my problem:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had same issue with my 2018 EXL.
Since dealer finished the safety recall. Started experiencing this issue and dealer replaced a new latch but the problem still exists.
It happened very randomly but I noticed after car wash and during the rainy day, it would have more chance to happen. The door may start working after I tried to squeeze the whole rubber. Dealer would not knowledge that is a problem since it was not present when I stopped by even I have video proof.
Any idea how could I permanently solve this problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
After returning from a paddling trip the sliding door (driver's side) on my 2016 Odyssey SE would open but would not close when any of a number of close buttons was pressed including the one on the key fob. When a close button was pushed, 3 beeps were heard, but the door would not close. The door could be closed manually by placing the door power switch - located on the left side of the dash - in the off position and then pulling the door handle and door toward the closed position.
I took the vehicle to the local Honda dealer and the gentlemen checking me in spotted the problem instantly and fixed it with the flick of a finger. He explained that the leading vertical edge of the door contains a pinch sensor behind a rubber seal. If the seal is compressed by an obstruction, say from a finger or an arm, the pinch sensor signals the door to open fully. He noticed that a portion of this seal was compressed and was in an abnormal rolled (tucked) under position. He merely rubbed the seal to allow it to release back to its normal state and the door worked perfectly again. I believe that when I was loading kayaks onto the roof rack I was reaching and leaning against the edge of the open sliding door and probably compressed the seal is such a way that it got stuck and did not release, thus activating the pinch sensor. Anyway, it was the fastest car repair I've experienced; 2 minutes between the time I arrived and the time a left, and no charge!
I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm doing this post correctly and that I'm not duplicating something already well covered. I searched but did not find any posts on this particular problem on this vintage of Odyssey, so I submit this new post in hopes that it will save some of you some time and head scratching.
- Jim
wao i have same issue with my 2016 odyssey EXL. i will check that rubber tomorrow morning. hope it will solve this problem of the door open but not closing, unless is manual closing. thanks for the input .

·
Registered
2 Posts
- Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
This posting saved me time and money solving my door bouncing back open when it is closing.
Thank you very much.
Let me add some photos so as to help even more people.

This edge of the sliding door is actually a sensor switch from top to bottom (to avoid pinching your finger):

This is where my problem was. It got pushed out of place when I moved a box. Simply pushing it back in place fixed my problem:

The combination of the original post and this follow-up post resolved my issue.....thank you! My 2016 Odyssey Touring had the same symptoms, wouldn't close automatically by pressing switch next to driver or pulling handle slightly. The seal in the inside of the door had a slight kink inward, barely visible. I ran my index finger on the inside of the seal releasing the kink. Door closed automatically afterwards!!! Thank you all for your help. -Michael

·
Registered
1 Posts
- Jim
Thank you! I'd been doing all sorts of research to fix it. This post was the 1st one to mention this, and it worked flawlessly. Just massages that rubber gasket the vertical length, found the kink, and smoothed it out. Wham! working car door. Probably saved me hundreds of dollars and a trip to the dealership.

·
Registered
1 Posts
- Jim
You are AWESOME! This post saved me so much time! Thank you for the detailed description and the pictures. I had a stuck pinch point in the exact same place!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I joined JUST to say thank you for this post! I have a 2014 Odyssey. My husband and I have been debating when it will be time to get new van and decided that when something went wrong with this Odyssey, we'd trade it in. Then the door stopped closing. I had actually put in an inquiry with a dealer when I saw your post. I had the door fixed in less than a minute. You saved me $47k!!

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Hi,

I joined JUST to say thank you for this post! I have a 2014 Odyssey. My husband and I have been debating when it will be time to get new van and decided that when something went wrong with this Odyssey, we'd trade it in. Then the door stopped closing. I had actually put in an inquiry with a dealer when I saw your post. I had the door fixed in less than a minute. You saved me $47k!!
if you want to keep saving disable that VCM with a VCMuzzler.

you will thank us all later.
😊

·
Registered
1 Posts
This was incredibly helpful, and saved us a trip to the dealership and probably a couple hundred dollars. Thank you so much!

- Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
After dealing with this problem and trying all sorts of things, I thankfully discovered this! Wow, what a life saver. My door would open but not close just getting the three beeps. After investigating the leading edge as described, in short order I discovered the section where the rubber was pushed in. A simple procedure of pushing it back out solved the problem. Thanks so very much!

·
Registered
1 Posts
- Jim
Thank you for this post. We must have leaned or pushed against this seal when loading the roof rack topper on vacation. The seal was pinched or doubled over & I ran my finger down the middle of the seal and felt it snap back into place. The door began working immediately. RWL

·
Registered
2 Posts
Man, this post was a life saver. I spent hours researching "2015 Odyssey sliding door won't close" and all I got were a bunch of useless YouTube videos. I was messing with the fuse box and was going to remove the battery terminals next, but decided to search "2015 Odyssey sliding doors open but won't close" and ended up here. I should've known it was a sensor issue since it auto opens with no problems.

My problem was with the passenger side sliding door that would open, but will beep three times and won't close. It would close manually after I turn the auto sliding door off. Like OP, I also was loading on the passenger side the day before. After massaging the entirety of the rubber pad on the passenger sliding door, one small part of it was pinched. I think this might be the problem. afterwards, it closed like a charm. Thank you for this post! It saved me money, time, and mostly mental stress!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts