Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thank you very much! If this seemed to have been it for other folks, I might just go with that same plan and see how it works out at this time. I'll keep the piston soak in mind. Does anyone know of 2016s that had persistent issues (after plugs, tuner installation, etc.) or might these additional steps mostly apply to earlier models?

Thank you!

Simon

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,132 Posts
You won't have anymore troubles like this after installing the VCMTuner II, replacing the spark plugs and helping the cleaning along a little with the Techron. You've now solved this engine's biggest shortcoming.

Be patient with the cleaning - I really doubt a piston soak is necessary in your van. It's too new with too few miles. It'll clean up well enough on its own.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This makes me scratch my head a little: I reset the fault code but still get a Pending P0303 again immediately thereafter. I did this twice. When I changed the plugs, I followed @DrD's recommendation and swapped coils 2 & 3, so two variables have been accounted for. I am also positive that the connector to #3 is properly attached (listened for the click sound on each of the six). The car hasn't been driven since I swapped the plugs and only idled for a few minutes between then and now.

On a different note, I'm still waiting for my VCMTuner II to come in the mail. It's taken USPS some time. The plan then still is to change the oil since it's due (and a bit low) and do the Techron treatment on full tanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Also, seeing that this is a 2016 and only has 45k miles on it, the 5 yr / 60k powertrain warranty should cover any work related to this, shouldn't it?

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,145 Posts
Also, seeing that this is a 2016 and only has 45k miles on it, the 5 yr / 60k powertrain warranty should cover any work related to this, shouldn't it?
Not really. Carbon build-up isn't covered under the engine warranty. You would likely get a cost-sharing offer from Honda corporate to complete the piston ring work, but not a full free repair.

-Charlie

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That's interesting, Charlie. I'll keep that in mind. Just before I saw your comment I called my dealership and they said to bring it in and have them take a look at it. So long as it shows the P0303 code, he said, it's all they need to get work authorized on it. The technician said he wasn't surprised to hear that 1-3 were fouled. I'll bring in all six plugs I pulled, so they can get a better idea beforehand. Will update once I know more.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I think you missed step 1 of the instructions.
Install a muzzler..

🤣
It's STILL in USPS transit. =P It was supposed to be here this past Saturday, and I don't have an updated delivery date yet. Once it gets here, it'll go in soon thereafter. =)

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
That's interesting, Charlie. I'll keep that in mind. Just before I saw your comment I called my dealership and they said to bring it in and have them take a look at it. So long as it shows the P0303 code, he said, it's all they need to get work authorized on it. The technician said he wasn't surprised to hear that 1-3 were fouled. I'll bring in all six plugs I pulled, so they can get a better idea beforehand. Will update once I know more.
If this were me, I'd put the old plugs back in it before you take it in. The 2016 isn't covered under the piston ring replacement campaign like the older ones were. If you want them to do anything for you it needs to be just as it was when the failure occurred, even though you're still getting the pending code for misfire. That said, are you sure it's a "pending" code? The 2013 and newer vehicles store the old code for something like 300 drive cycles or some such thing so you could just be seeing the stored code from that. If it's not an "active" code they will not do anything for you and you'll be on the hook for the diagnostic fee, at the least.

If your code is actually gone then installing the Muzzler device will likely solve the issue permanently.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hi John, thank you very much for the feedback! Regardless of what this ends up being, wouldn't the 5 yr / 60k powertrain warranty cover here? This is still just under original warranty, not any type of an extension as it applied for the previous model. The car has been operated normally and was exclusively and regularly serviced at the dealership. I have all records, too.

I see it as a pending fault (no CEL on the dash yet either). If I use the Torque app to clear the code (did that three times now) and read it again afterwards, it immediately reappears.

Many thanks for all the support and help!

Attachments

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
As was already mentioned, often carbon build up is not covered by warranty.

If the problem still exists then the next time you drive it and sees the misfire it should set a check engine light. It's hard to trust these aftermarket scan tools as the "pending" label could be erroneous and just due to a programming issue with the scan tool. You can't trust scan data 100%.

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Either put new plugs in and a VCMTunerII and drive it, or put the old plugs back in it and take it to your dealer. Once the cylinders are firing 100% all the time the carbon and fouling will probably slow down. It's likely a bit low on compression on that cylinder due to dirty rings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Ok, great! Thank you very much for all the knowledgeable advice! I'll wait for the tuner to come in, install it, fill up the tank, apply the treatment, and see how it does over a bit of time. What ya think?

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
That's one way of doing it. I'm not that familiar with how warranty would cover it so I'm not a reliable source of info there but what you're doing is what I'd do for a car out of warranty.

Reactions: SimonUA

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I took it to the dealership this morning. They confirmed the P0303 as well as the three oil-fouled plugs. Oil and oil filter were changed. What Honda wants them to do is two oil consumption tests 1,000 miles apart. The advisor, who seemed respectable, said that Honda is not automatically authorizing work on it yet as they want to first get a better idea of what's happening. Seems logical to me. So I'll drive it very economically with ECO mode on as much as I usually do over the next 1,000 / 2,000 miles and see how the two consumption tests pan out. The tuner is scheduled to come in today, but I'll leave it off for the time being.

It will be a while until I have more information, but I want to express my sincere gratitude to everyone who's given me advice so far. I have learned much from you. Thank you very much and have a happy, safe Thanksgiving!

Simon

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I am sure you are right in absolute terms with respect to wear. I agree with you. How can one weigh the actual impact of 1,000 miles in the grand scheme of things? We don't have the luxury of knowing now what we'll know in hindsight later, unfortunately, so it comes down to risk tolerance. This can go one of many ways, and I respect all different perspectives simply because there's no assurance one way or another, sadly.

·
Registered
719 Posts
as John Clark noted, driving it with continued misfires will ruin your catalytic converters, or at a minimum shorten their life span.

Should an oil consumption case be made, Honda will do no more than replace the rings.
Also a chance they wont pay 100% for the repair.

The active engine mounts and catalytic converters, O2 sensors, are about 1500 dollars worth of parts without labor, and will not be covered by Honda.
Now or in the future when they prematurely fail due to the enabled VCM.

Opening up your factory sealed motor to a flat rate Honda tech, is the least desirable of the two options IMO.
The ring replacement is a big job, Timing belt and the head has to come off, the oil pan, crank bolts and caps, lots of gaskets replaced.
lots of room for error.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
That's very good perspective. I appreciate that. This is how I learn. Then the better path at this point does appear to put the VCM Tuner on, treat with the Techron on full tanks, drive to see how it runs, and still check how the oil consumption is in 1,000 miles at the dealership. Maybe this hedges it best. If this works itself out over time and all is fine then and no more engine codes, then it's proof of success.

I apologize. I promise I'm not dense. Over the last 30 or so posts this was likely obvious to you and John and others. I'm new to this issue, and I'm adjusting my thinking based on what I'm learning along the way, trying to weigh options and risk. All of everyone's input has been invaluable to me. Thank you!

21 - 40 of 49 Posts