Honda Odyssey Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

Registered
Im getting out of my tired 2007 ex-l and was about to pull the trigger on a 2020 ex-l with 16k miles for about $40,500.
Then I found a few things I didnt like about the 5th gen. First and foremost the delete of rear AC and switch to r1234 refrigerant. 5th gen owners complain about the AC just not getting cold.
So I turned to 4th gen and for about $9k less I can get a touring elite with 40k miles and it has a lot of attractive features (hid headlights, RES) and the lower price is important.
Reliability and longetivity is my main concern.
Which would you do?

Registered
Im getting out of my tired 2007 ex-l and was about to pull the trigger on a 2020 ex-l with 16k miles for about $40,500.
Then I found a few things I didnt like about the 5th gen. First and foremost the delete of rear AC and switch to r1234 refrigerant. 5th gen owners complain about the AC just not getting cold.
So I turned to 4th gen and for about $9k less I can get a touring elite with 40k miles and it has a lot of attractive features (hid headlights, RES) and the lower price is important.
Which would you do?
I like that 2016..question though.. do these newer models have that ECO problem..?

Registered
I like that 2016..question though.. do these newer models have that ECO problem..?
Yes they do. The excuse Honda used in the vans up to 2013 was low friction piston rings. But around here we now have folks with 2014 & newer vans with spark plug fouling codes. Especially once they get some miles on them. Remember folks, this VCM system only helps Honda meet their Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) ratings. The actual fuel savings for individuals is quite low. I barely noticed any MPG change from muzzling. The driving experience was quite noticeable, in a good way.

Registered
Even as a Honda tech I'm thinking of muzzling my 12.
I had a misfire that went away and the code being there disabled the VCM even after the misfire stopped.
During that time I didn't notice a significant drop in economy and I drive while doing a minor hypermiling.

Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
Congrats on the new (to you) van. When I first saw the 4th gen styling I wasn't the biggest fan but I've gotten more used to it over the years. I still mostly prefer the 08-10 style though.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Congrats! Best color, Best body shape.... Enjoy!
Thanks all for the compliments. Except for possibly the front grill and headlights I think the 4th gen is more attractive than the 5th gen which has that weird gap on the rear pillar. Worse than that is that sculpting they did on the lower sides, it breaks up the lines.
3rd gen may have been the best looking but it does look dated now.
Im actually amazed at how similar the 3rd and 4th gens are under the skin. While parts are different theyre also the same.

Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
I think when Honda was making the 4th gen they realized that they did it right with the 3rd gen but at the same time they tried to modernize it a little. Which explains why a lot of it looks the same as the 3rd gen, just a little different.

Registered
Which would you do?
Agree....we own a 2016 Odyssey Elite. We are dealing with the issues caused by the VCM. If you purchase this year of van make sure you get the VCM muzzler put on it IMMEDIATELY.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Agree....we own a 2016 Odyssey Elite. We are dealing with the issues caused by the VCM. If you purchase this year of van make sure you get the VCM muzzler put on it IMMEDIATELY.
You bet. My 07 has vcm tuner 2 but as it was driven 111k miles unmuzzled some damage was done, motor mounts are shot. Just ordered another vcm tuner 2 for the 2016 today. I didnt want to take it off the 07. Its kind of annoying honda continued to use this with all the known issues. Seems like arrogance.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts