Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2016 Touring vs 2018 EX-L

396 10
The 2016 touring has 69,646 miles and the 2018 EX-L has 48,174 miles. Which one would you choose? Both are around the same price.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
6,422 Posts
Same price is a pretty bad deal. If the 2016 wasn't the same price I would go with it, it will probably end up being a lot better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don’t have service records. I have the carfax for both but it doesn’t list every single thing done to the car. Neither are certified pre-owned. The 2016 is from carmax so I was going to get maxcare.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
6,422 Posts
Considering it's two years older with 20k more miles the prices should not be that close together.

·
Premium Member
3,078 Posts
True that makes me think it’s something wrong with the 2018
Without seeing it, I'd say the biggest problem with the 2018 is that it's a 2018 - it was the first year of the current generation and a brand new design. They had a TON of glitches, most of which eventually got sorted out if owners were patient enough with their dealers and with Honda. But the poor reputation was pretty firmly established by then in the collective mind of the market. And if this van you're looking at is not priced strongly considering how hot the used car market is right now, I'm guessing it's because someone dumped it after losing patience with the glitches - which would still be there for you to deal with.

The second biggest problem with the 2018 is that it's an EX-L which means it has the ZF 9-speed transmission which isn't great, especially compared to the Honda 10-speed transmission. The Honda 10-speed is a great transmission that eventually took the place of the ZF 9-speed completely. The ZF 9-speed is also notoriously expensive to maintain because the transmission fluid isn't cheap (especially from Honda, which owners under warranty would have likely turned to) and it's much harder to DIY.

The reason that the 2016 is priced so closely even though it's two years older with 20,000 extra miles on it is - once again - because it's a 2016. The 2016 Odyssey is the second last year of the fourth generation and it is generally a very well sorted out vehicle. It's simpler than the 2018 meaning the maintenance is easier and cheaper (and therefore conceivably more up-to-date). The couple of known issues with the 2016 (mainly VCM and worn ATF) are very easy and inexpensive to solve permanently.

If I were in your shoes and had to choose one of these two vehicles, I'd take the 2016 every day and twice on Sunday.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I would look for a different deal (private party) or take the 2016 if you are tired of looking… I noticed Carmax used prices by me were Insane expensive by me 4-5 years ago , imagine it’s worse now…

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you! We think we’re going to stick to the 16. Tried to get a 19 but it sold before they could transfer it to our dealership (not carmax). We do like the maxcare warranty too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts