Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 16 Odyssey has 71k. I changed the transmission fluid with DW-1 at the 30k and 60k intervals. Recently at about 69k miles, the transmission had a code P0848 (3rd gear high pressure switch) and really would buck during gear changes. I reset the code and drove fine for week or so. Issue came back and had the dealer change the part and check the fluid. They said everything was fine.
Over the course of about 2-3 weeks, I noticed the tranny doesn't feel 'quite right'. I changed the fluid with DW-1 this weekend with only about 11k miles and it seemed darker in color than expected. It still had a red tint but certainly darker than the new fluid. Is this a sign the transmission may be going? I plan to perform a second fluid change with DW-1 in the next 1k miles.

I should have taken pictures but didn't.
Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
The transmission goes through a fair bit of hard living when that pressure switch fails. Changing out the ATF (as in a triple drain-and-fill) right after that repair would have been on my to do list. You're getting after it now which is great.

Given that you've been on top of the ATF maintenance in the past, I'm inclined to think once you get some fresh fluid in there you'll be OK.

·
Registered
13,593 Posts
As you may be aware from reading here, a fluid "change" only replaces about 1/3 of the fluid. A full change would be doing that three times with driving in between. So your plan to do a change again in about 1000 miles is a good one. Then do that again in another 1000. I would also ask the dealer if they checked the software on the trans.There is a service bulletin on these transmissions that includes doing a 3X change and updating the software. With 71k on it you might have had a problem getting the dealer to do the 3X change for free. (folks with regular dealer service should expect this to at least the mileage cut off sited in the TSB) But do get the software.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to know about the software update. I'll ask them in about 2k miles when I perform the additional 2x fluid changes.
Where does everyone get their OEM DW-1 from? I checked several different on-line locations and they are similar priced as the dealer of about $8/quart. I know there are alternative fluid out there like MaxLife synthetic but I would prefer to stay OEM. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts