Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am new to this forum. Currently I am in the market for a minivan and Odyssey seems to be a really strong contender.
However, reading a lot about the woes and problems in the newest gen (especially the single A/C circuit which I have tested and hated the third row output), I am wondering if I should find a nice low mile 2017 example instead?

Looking to pick all of your brain here for the hidden knowledge about this van!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
19 Posts
My wife and I were looking for a 2016 or 2017 Odyssey with low mileage but in our area there was very low inventory and most of what we found had been in wrecks. We did find a CPO 2016 but would not have had much warranty left and was still $27K. Because of this we purchased a 2019 EX which I thought would not have as many electronic problems as the higher end models. So far we have been happy. The 9 speed transmission takes some getting used to but it has been overall very smooth. Also, many people point to the poor consumer reports rating for the new model year and if you see the predicted reliability breakdown everything is green except the electronics.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
This is a real conundrum IMO. I have never thought late model Hondas and Toyotas were a good deal in the market compared to new. If you calculate cost per mile for depreciation from 0-150K vs 30-150K assuming a $0 value at 150K (which obviously would not be true) you almost always find that the used van is not a value. The end of a model run though is typically more trouble free than the beginning of a model run though, causing one to contemplate. That issue may be off-set if you were considering a higher trim 2017 vs a lower trim 2019 and the less technology involved the more likely you have a low maintenance experience.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
You've singled out the performance of the AC in the 2019 as unacceptable. This leads me to believe that you consider the AC performance as an extremely important characteristic. Have you tried the third-row AC in a 2017 to compare? Is the AC a deal-breaker, or are there other things equally important to you?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have a 2019 Elite and last year we took a 3 hrs trip in the dead heat and the folks in the Third row asked me to lower the AC. So I guess it is a vehicle by vehicle issue.

Have you taken a 2019 for a test drive? Also, buying a vehicle (or a home) during the winter is not a wise idea. Yet again, I do not know where you live and you could be in Florida or CA for all I know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the reply! you guys are great in this forum!

@Ekalb, I am running into the same situation as you, there really is not many selections of 2017 models. ANd I did not know about that detail in the consumer report! what are the electronics problem that people have been seeing?

@pkrface, that and I think I just got really annoyed by how Honda cheaped out on the A/C in the new gen

@CroMath, I think it is important (or it is something that Honda really cheaped out comparing to other vans out there) because I have 2 kids in car seats and one will be in a rear facing seat very shortly. The new vent design (pillar vs roof) and the lack of the second evaporator really made a different when I went for a test drive. I do plan on using this vehicle for summer road trips so a/c performance cannot be ignored.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts