Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having some strange electrical issues. It has been running fine, but after 4 days in the garage I tried to start it with the push button and the display starts shows a variety of problems:

• Electric Parking Brake Problem
  • Brake System Problem
  • Brake Hold System Problem
  • Anti-Lock Brake System Problem
  • Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) Problem
  • Road Departure Mitigation System Problem
  • Charging System Problem
  • Maintenance Due Soon - B7
When I hold the brake and start button, the display flashes off and on as I hear a click, but the van won't start. I took a video of what happens when I try to start it:

Had no signs of any problems prior to this.

I tried disconnecting the positive battery terminal for about 20 minutes, but didn't have any effect on the problems.

My garage is small, so I don't think I can get another vehicle in to try and jump start it. And the display says the van can't be put into neutral without the engine being on, so I can't push it out of the garage.

So, is there anything I can do to troubleshoot or fix this in my garage? Or any way to get the van into neutral so I can have it towed to a shop?

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
1,144 Posts
Those sound like signs of weak battery that didn't have enough time to charge itself the last time you drove. If you plan on leaving your car garaged for extended periods of time with short trips in between - look into Battery Tender type products to hook up to it while it sits.

·
Registered
13,424 Posts
Yep, that's a weak battery. 2-3 years is about all the Honda batteries are good for. It's actually about all any batteries are good for anymore.

·
Registered
2020 Odyssey Elite
46 Posts
I concur. It appears to be a weak battery. If you're referring to the original battery in your 2018, that would only make it about 3 years old. Maybe there's been some recent drain recently to cause this sudden hard start. Not sure if your battery is going bad. You can try getting a battery charger/repair with maintainer to see if you can bring it back to life.

·
Registered
2020 Odyssey Elite
46 Posts
If you're still under the 3 year/36k mile warranty, I've seen the dealer replace it under warranty. If beyond that, I believe they still prorate the battery and you may get some amount of credit. Regardless, a new battery might be the best bet for you since it's getting near the end of it's life and to avoid the inconvenience of being stranded. I would also look into a portable mini jump starter. You won't have to rely on anyone anymore for jumpstarts. I have a Genius Noco GB40 that I keep in the car. As far as putting the car in neutral, I don't have the info on me offhand, but there should be a manual override to put the car in neutral. The lever is in the engine bay on the side of the transmission. I'll have to see if I can find some literature.

EDIT... I just noticed your mileage in your video.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. The multitude of error codes had me wondering if there was a larger issue, or a software problem. We bought the van used a few months ago, and it seemed to have been in storage for a while, but we had no issues with it until this.

The battery does look like it was the original, so I'll see about recharging/replacing it.

I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
2020 Odyssey Elite
46 Posts
Thanks all. The multitude of error codes had me wondering if there was a larger issue, or a software problem. We bought the van used a few months ago, and it seemed to have been in storage for a while, but we had no issues with it until this.

The battery does look like it was the original, so I'll see about recharging/replacing it.

I appreciate the help!
Great. Let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Having some strange electrical issues. It has been running fine, but after 4 days in the garage I tried to start it with the push button and the display starts shows a variety of problems:
When I hold the brake and start button, the display flashes off and on as I hear a click, but the van won't start.
So, is there anything I can do to troubleshoot or fix this in my garage? Or any way to get the van into neutral so I can have it towed to a shop?
The "Charging system problem" indication might indicate that your alternator is bad so your battery is discharged.

I did the following test on our 2019 Ody EX to help you out:
  1. Connect a volt meter to the battery terminals. (mine was 12 volts)
  2. Turn the headlights on and see what the voltage is. (mine was 11.7 volts)
  3. Try starting the engine and see what the voltage is. (mine dropped to 10 volts momentarily)
Used an analog meter in step-3 to see the voltage drop. Won't be able to see it using a digital meter.

The voltage with the headlights on in step-2 should give you a good indication of your battery condition.

If you have a weak battery (step-2) then if you have a second vehicle, maybe remove the battery from it and install it in your Ody to see if it can start. If it starts, if the alternator is working properly the battery voltage should be about 14.3 volts or so.

If the alternator is charging OK (14.3 volts), have the dealer or auto parts store check the battery. Maybe buy a battery charger/maintainer to charge your battery and maintain the battery charge in the future. I bought a CTEK charger while others have bought the Noco Genius, both with good results.

Raptor88

·
Premium Member
842 Posts

• Brake System Problem
When I hold the brake and start button, the display flashes off and on as I hear a click, but the van won't start. I took a video of what happens when I try to start it:

I tried disconnecting the positive battery terminal for about 20 minutes, but didn't have any effect on the problems.

My garage is small, so I don't think I can get another vehicle in to try and jump start it. And the display says the van can't be put into neutral without the engine being on, so I can't push it out of the garage.

Thank you
What model of ODY is it and is it 9 or 10 speed transmission. I can help with a 10 speed Elite, from inside the engine bay to turn a transmission rod/link to put into Neutral. I believe the 9-speed requires a special socket to use to put it in Neutral. When asking about problems on a ODY please either put your Year and Model and to save time if it is a 9-10 speed transmission as it helps to guide people to what is wrong with your ODY.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,795 Posts
My 2018 EX is in its third year with only 24,000 km and I bought a Noco Genius last spring. I find I need to use it at least once per week since my car tends to sit. It's all this electronic crap that is writing checks these antiquated batteries can't cash! Everyone needs a battery maintainer with these new cars.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Have you driven the vehicle after the codes appeared?

Most of these will clear themselves once the vehicle is driven. My guess is there is a weak battery or bad battery connection that caused the voltage to go briefly low.

I have a 2018 Crv. It will cycle through a dozen codes after the battery is disconnected. All will disappear once the vehicle is driven a few blocks and the ABS system etc recalibrate themselves.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My dead battery experience with my 2019 EX-L was that the headlights refused to turn off. I guess there was enough juice to power the headlights but not the computer. I rolled it into the dealer last month with a dead battery and 35,999 miles on the odo (really). They had to run "full" diagnostics on the battery before replacing under warranty, but after nearly 2 hours I did get a new battery.

·
Registered
18 Posts

• Brake System Problem

Thank you
Hi, this is a well documented problem when you let the Ody sat for a few days, the battery will drain to the point that it will eventually die. This is especially true if you are driving a lot of short trips. One symptom is your idle cutoff will stop working, meaning the battery is weak. I occasionally plug the battery in a charger/conditioner overnight. I connect a cable to the battery so that I don't have to open the hood to charge the battery. It is sad Honda has this known issue but not fixing it. For now, this is better than calling AAA to jump start.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Those sound like signs of weak battery that didn't have enough time to charge itself the last time you drove. If you plan on leaving your car garaged for extended periods of time with short trips in between - look into Battery Tender type products to hook up to it while it sits.
Everyone should have a good battery charger and know it’s ideosyncrecies. I have had many but the only one that has lasted is a CAT. When the battery is almost completely dead it refuses to charge until you partially charge it for a few minutes or load it by turning the parking lights on until it has been charging for 10 min or so. Otherwise the charger pops off saying the battery is full.
We went thru two batteries on the Ody after we got an electric car and the Ody would sit in the garage work week or so without use. Lead acid batteries like to be ideally kept fully charged I read and deteriorate quickly if they are often run very low. I started disconnecting the battery and that worked very well, but was an inconvenience. My 2005 has a substantial vampire drain, the source of which I haven’t located. Others have said that the computer can take it down in 10 days. In my old 60 Chevy it was the clock. I installed a simple inexpensive battery disconnect or. You just have to open the hood and tighten or loosen a knob to isolate the battery from drain. Takes a minute to reprogram the radio.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,795 Posts
When my battery is low, the seat belt chime operates erratically immediately after starting the engine. Instead of a steady chime, it chimes three of four times really fast and then evens out to a steady chime. This is actually a good thing because it tells me I need to connect my battery conditioner.

All my previous car batteries would last 4 or 5 years - easy! My wife's 2012 CRV is only on its second battery after 98,000 Km (61,000 miles). It's all this new tech they put into these cars that's causing the massive drain.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Check the A/C compressor magnetic clutch relay in the underhood relay box hasn't failed in the closed position. This happened to me and it kept draining my battery even with everything off. Mine is a 2009 EX, though. It also made my A/C compressor overpressurize the system and cause most of the R-134a to vent to atmosphere very loudly through the compressor pressure relief valve--it was a scary noise at first before I realized it was R-134a venting from the compressor. I carry a new relay in my glovebox at all times because of this. Never saw a relay fail in the closed position before.

·
Registered
4 Posts

• Brake System Problem

Thank you
Change the push on off button. Known Honda problem. Easy to fix and replace.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I learned about this website because of this post. Thank you all for your helpful answers.

I have a 2018 Odyssey that I purchased in mid-December 2017, and I am having the issue described by the original poster.

We took our Odyssey to a dealership for an oil change, and about a week later, we could not start it. We got the error messages in the video above, and the car would not start. I was able to open the electronic sliding doors to get my children into the van, but I was not able to automatically open the doors to get them out.

The van was still under warranty and a tow truck drive jumped it so that he could get it our of our garage. The Honda dealership tested the battery, and it was fine. There were no error codes or any issues in their diagnostic assessment.

Things were fine until yesterday when the problem happened again.

I am in the process of buying a jump starter and a maintainer as recommended above.

The Honda dealership is NO help. I think that they could have and should have told me some of the things that I read above.

We do not drive very often, and we take short trips, so that may be the cause of our issue.

Thank you again!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts