Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to share with the community. (2018 Ody EX, 22,000km's / 14,000miles)
This one was tough, took the dealer months to finally get it (yes, almost 3 months in a rental, multiple visits). Dealer gave it their all, nailed it.

Had a single click / clunk / snap noise, driver side wheel-well area.
This sound would come at any speed or wheel direction, intermittent, but most easiest to replicate when, taking off from a stop, with moderate to full acceleration, you'd get a loud, single CLUNK sound. Happens just after the van goes into motion (so not right away, but van starts to move, still in first gear, CLUNK/SNAP!), doesn't matter if turning or straight.
After that first clunk on takeoff, you're cruising, and at some point, you hit a sewer grade or any dip in the road or driveway, CLUNK! again.
After the first and second clunk, it'll be done clunking until you come to a full stop again and repeat the process (this should rule out end-links / other common parts).
It got worse to the point I could do it at every take off. So sure, like me, or the mechanic, you're thinking the usual go-to suspension related parts. In this order, they changed:

• Both stabilizer linkages (end links)
  • Driveshaft driver side
  • Lower control arm, with all related bushings
  • Brake pads shimmed, serviced
  • Front knuckle with shock / spring assembly replaced vehicle driver side
  • Complete front subframe replaced (yup!), all related hardware and bushings, stiffeners, etc.
  • Engine mounts
  • A plethora of bushings and mounts and hardware for all the related parts above replaced.
At this point still clunking, poor mechanics, poor us. Honda corporate involved by this point, dealer being excellent to work with, they're trying hard here.
Of course, no other Odyssey has this problem in the country. All parties agree to try one more fix, one last hoorah, and with the following two parts, problem solved:

• New driver side spring / shock assembly, again, with new mounts
  • Transmission mount bushing (apparently this is the most - likely culprit)
So I hope this helps someone one day, we were at the brink of pushing arbitration / civil action against Honda corporate for a replacement vehicle. It's been a few weeks now and haven't heard a clunk, I'm positive the problem's gone. Should note, all work and rental was covered under warranty.

·
Registered
417 Posts
So I hope this helps someone one day, we were at the brink of pushing arbitration / civil action against Honda corporate for a replacement vehicle. It's been a few weeks now and haven't heard a clunk, I'm positive the problem's gone. Should note, all work and rental was covered under warranty.
Sure happy they found it. In the years of 1960-1979 the rear wheel drive cars had the same problem with a loud clunk. The motor mounts was generally a dead give-away if the transmission lever would move and switch to either a lower gear or higher (neutral). You could get out of the car and pull the transmission lever back to the correct location. Having someone in the car and someone watching the engine and transmission-the person in the car would put into drive and hold firmly on the brakes and rev up engine slowly and see the engine left or right side come off it's motor mount or the transmission would shift side to side therefore telling what mount was bad. They did not have the rubber mounts to last to long back then, now the newer one have silicone in them and shaped so much differently.

I wonder if your engine is changing from the 3 cylinder to the 6 cylinder firing is what took out your transmission mount? Others on the forum might be able to tell you if this is what caused this problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder if your engine is changing from the 3 cylinder to the 6 cylinder firing is what took out your transmission mount? Others on the forum might be able to tell you if this is what caused this problem.
Very interesting theory, and thanks for sharing the story.
I'm hoping for all our sakes, as Odyssey owners, that I somehow am the only one with this issue, some sort of manufacturing one-off defective mount, or assembly mishap.
My van is 99% wife driven, with a very soft foot. It might as well stay in 3 cylinder mode with her driving. On that note, that 6to3 cylinder is seamless and I don't feel a thing, not sure what else could stress this mount to the point of failure unless defective. Time (and TSB's) will tell.

I was told the dealer worked with Honda corporate engineering, and even sent some(one) to my dealer to assist in diagnosis, as mine was the study case, so hopefully this gets resolved quicker/cheaper for them and others in the future (thinking of when the van is off warranty).

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm hoping for all our sakes, as Odyssey owners, that I somehow am the only one with this issue, some sort of manufacturing one-off defective mount, or assembly mishap.
My van is 99% wife driven, with a very soft foot. It might as well stay in 3 cylinder mode with her driving. On that note, that 6to3 cylinder is seamless and I don't feel a thing, not sure what else could stress this mount to the point of failure unless defective. Time (and TSB's) will tell.
The device is called the VCMTUNER II. Here is the website that tells it's story of Honda/Acura problems for vibrations/motor mounts/loss of oil between oil changes. It is really worth the read to even understand what is happening, and yes it does even cover the 5th Generation of ODY's/Honda's. Understanding that this device is not approved by Honda. (They just do not want to admit their is a problem with the VCM or they would be forced to replace it on quite a few models and years.) It makes their bean counters un-happy.
You may also want to look here at this forum on 2007 Honda's that actually decided to use the VCMTUNER II

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info DJVAN, would not have even considered that as the culprit causing the issues. Interesting... Honda's not the Honda I remember anymore.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thanks for the info DJVAN, would not have even considered that as the culprit causing the issues. Interesting... Honda's not the Honda I remember anymore.
I hate to admit this, I was literally blinded that Honda would sell any vehicles that would have so many problems, especially knowing the problems exist and blatantly telling every owner that they have never heard or seen this problem before! The majority of Honda owners that I have known, never compained about much, just the occasional bad battery / belts needing replacement / engine needing a tune-up, which to me is all the owners problem for not doing the preventative maintenance. I think if I had to do this again I would be looking at a Lexus RX350.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts